“Lovely place, but a bit overpriced”

Trentham Monkey Forest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Monkey Forest is completely unique to the UK. It is the only place that you can walk amongst 140 Barbary macaques roaming free in 60 acres of beautiful English Forest. Walking in the park transports you into a different world through close contact with the monkeys.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Sandbach, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lovely place, but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I really like this place, it's a unique experience to see a monkey walk across the path in front of you. The setup of the place is really nice, clean facilities a reasonably priced cafe, and good picnic and play areas. The only downside for me was the cost - I visited with my mum (classed as a senior), and my 3-year daughter. It cost us £20 for the 3 of us to get in. Bearing in mind, that a 3 year old is an awkward being, we went around the forest loop in about 45 mins to an hour. We went and had lunch, and then for a play in the play areas. As adults, or possibly with older children, we possibly would have gone back into the monkey area, and got our moneys worth out of the experience, but my daughter at this point had had enough. I know it was our choice to pay the entry fee, and to leave when we did, but I felt that the attention span of the average 3 year old should be taken into account, and a lower rate charged for pre-schoolers (maybe just my opinion! ) Besides the brevity of the visit, I enjoyed the setting, and will be back when my daughter is a bit older.

3 Thank KathO23
MonkeyForest, Manager at Trentham Monkey Forest, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thanks for writing your review. It's great to read you enjoyed using the facilities including the cafe and playgrounds. Most of our customers find the entry fee is good value to enjoy this unique experience in the UK.
We often have events in conjunction with organisations such as the RSPB and local charities, have a look at our website for dates and further info. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Day out”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

As the weather was not being kind we delayed the visit until the rain had stopped. At last the sun came out, was not sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. So glad the monkeys are freely walking around. The guides are knowledgable and very helpful.
I really enjoyed this it was so nice just watching the monkeys and at times very amusing!
They do talks frequently the staff and there are boards giving you more information about the monkeys. We ended up being there 1.5hrs not bad value either

Visited August 2014
Its great to read that you found your experience to be good value and you enjoyed visiting the free-ranging monkeys. We hope to see you again soon.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great day out!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Monkey forest is a great day out, even when its a bit chilly! Myself and my god daughter had a great afternoon walking around the park. From a biologist as myselfs point f view the conservation aspect is great! 6 young babies born this year for this endangered species. Great little adventure park for kids to play on after a picnic lunch. Jungle shop great for a little keepsake. Id encorage visitors to come, more donations means the park could expand which is my only downside to my visit! I would have loved a bigger site to explore and different monkey breeds.

All round excellent afternoon out!

1 Thank Rachelt145
Thanks for your great review. We are proud to be able to support the endangered Barbary macaque through our visitors and also to be able to raise awareness of the plight of the Barbary macaque. We hope that we will welcome you back soon!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Average visit”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I took my stepdaughter, 6yo and 5mth old here and it took us about an hour to walk around. We stopped and had a coffee and muffins and the boy had a kids sandwich deal. Overall we enjoyed it but for the cost of gettin in you would expect more to do. We did have the feeding chat from one of the guides which was I formative and this was probably the best of the visit other than the muffins which were delicious. My son went in the parks aswell. A bit steep o the price but an enjoyable day had.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank rachel83dayman
Thank you for your review of Monkey Forest. Most of our customers find that the entry price is good value, reflecting both the uniqueness of the attraction and the time spent at Monkey Forest. It's great to hear that the muffin was delicious! We also make daily specials, home made baguettes, paninis and cakes on site too. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
birmingham, england
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“good day out”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Went here last week, good day out worth the money although something I didnt consider they're all the same type of monkey so abit samey after a while, however theyre very cute with newborns to see too so doesnt get boring.

Also has a cafe and few different playgrounds, trampolines were there too when we went.

Visited July 2014
Thanks for your review. We have 140 Barbary macaque monkeys living free at Trentham Monkey Forest within a 60 acre enclosure. The monkeys are of all ages from newborns through to our elderly monkeys and its great to read that you were able to watch some of the characters that call the forest home. We look forward to seeing you soon.