“Tollgate Hotel My Favourite”

and 1 more site!
Tollgate Hotel & Leisure
Ranked #3 of 17 Stoke-on-Trent B&B and Inns
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, United Kingdom
“Tollgate Hotel My Favourite”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stay at this hotel even although my business visits are 40miles away. It is very friendly, free internet access, nicely stocked bar and a great full english breakfast. The rooms are reasonable size and have extra towels, pillows and blankets. Room temperature is always fine too. I go the extra mile to stay here and so does the management and staff. Always easy to book and a nice warm welcome. I stay in many budget and premium hotels through my business travel but to be honest Tollgate is my favourite.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor so there is no-one directly above you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
S.Yorkshire
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked the hotel as it had a gym and included breakfast. The hotel was very tired in parts and the staff were very pleasant but the whole thing was very disorganised.
Check in was not a great experience and the room was in real need of a makeover and update throughout. The bed was very hard and the bed had sheets which is old fashioned. The bathroom was old and in need of updating.
The room rate included breakfast but I was only informed at breakfast that the inclusive offer was for continental. I spoke with a waitress who then changed her mind and allowed me to have a Cooked breakfast, however when the breakfast came, I wish I hadn't bothered as it was awful. On checking out I had to wait for a staff member which again was disorganised again.
I wouldn't stay here again as it was a poor experience and not value for money.
When I walked into the room it was very warm and uncomfortable but was unable to turn the temperature down - not good !

Room Tip: Don't book a room here - use one of the larger chains where the price is similar but you know wh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
aoldfield, Owner at Tollgate Hotel & Leisure, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Steve,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review.
We must admit that we are currently undergoing a major refurbishment programme and for you to be moved to another room, all you had to do was ask. Indeed it is most strange that, if the aspects of your stay were as bad as you state, you did not bring ANY of the points you mention to the attention of a duty manager during your stay who could have remedied them there and then.
We are proud of our freshly cooked breakfasts and, as can be seen, your review goes against the vast majority of other guests' reviews on here and other websites.
I am also sure you would wish to have a warm room during the freezing temperatures the UK has recently had, and our room temperatures are FULLY controllable. Again, all you had to do was ask if you were unsure.
We endeavour to exceed our guest's expectations but we realise that this is not possible with everybody, Steve.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Rooms were very dated and bed was lumpy and sagging. Didn't appreciate the contractors smoking weed outside my room...it was somewhat intimidating for a female on my own. The room was also extremely hot and there was no way of controlling the temperature or a window to open to cool it down.
On the plus side it was very clean, the gym facilities and breakfast were decent and the staff were all nice and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review. To address a few of the points you make:-
To be moved to another room, if you preferred one nearer to reception, all you had to do was ask. No specific preference for this was made on your booking.
If a hotel guest was "smoking weed" outside your room then you could have made us aware, in confidence, at the time so we could have dealt with this.
Also, there are fully openable windows at the front and back of our rooms and the heating is FULLY controllable. We'd rather our rooms be nice and warm in December. Again, if you needed any assistance with these during your stay then all you had to do was ask.
South Wales
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Booking was obviously for one female, but ended up in the room furthest away from main building, left me feeling vulnerable in a strange place on my own. Couldn't open any windows because they open up onto walkway, and there was no small window. This was a big deal for me as I like fresh air at night. Room ok. Plenty big enough. Staff friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Ideal for a short stay. Rooms are somewhat antiquated but extremely clean and everything is functional. Beds are very comfortable but could so with duvets rather than blankets.

Beware of the cleaners they come early and burst in on your room when asleep - not good with a Sunday morning hangover!!

• Stayed November 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very happy with our stay. The room was very clean and bigger than expected. The room with breakfast was very good value for money. We ate in the restaurant both nights and found the food very good and excellent value. Your staff, particularly Martin (chef) were very helpful and Martin went out of his way to accomodate our requests. If ever we are visiting Alton Towers again we would definitely stay with you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

You would think that the demands of a group booking including 19 teenage boys would be difficult but the Tollgate were fantastic in every way. They were friendly, helpful, patient and provided excellent service adapting to our ever changing schedule with no complaints at all. The rooms were great and the cleaners did an excellent job! The staff helped in every way they could including organising a physio, laundry, providing excellent meals etc etc and even organising for our boys to be Guard of Honour at a Stoke City match. Not many hotels would cook a full English roast for us to have as our last meal at 11.30am. They are fantastic people at the Tollgate and I highly recommend it, whether you are alone or in a large group. There is access to the gym and exercise classes, a pool room, squash courts, great food, hairdresser, secure parking, lovely view, comfy beds and hot showers. I can't speak highly enough of this hotel, great value for money. Thank-you, Tollgate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Tollgate Hotel & Leisure? Share your experiences!