“A Great Place To Combine With A Theatre Visit...”
Review of Zest Cafe Bistro

Zest Cafe Bistro
Ranked #49 of 565 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fully Licensed Cafe by day, Bistro / Restaurant by night. open opposite the Regent Theatre offering pre theatre dining, Bistro - Cafe open every day except Sunday & Monday. Modern design, Art Wall displaying local artists works. Our Cafe serves freshly prepared and cooked to order food. From Sandwiches, Gourmet Sandwiches & Burgers, through to our popular Blackboard Specials. Being fully licenced you can enjoy a glass of Wine or beer with your meal. We cater for Pre Theatre Dining with an Award Winning Al a Carte Menu offering both Tapas through to three course meals. Our Early Bird Special is very popular with theatre goers. All our food cooked fresh to order, using locally sourced quality produce. We offer takeaway food during normal cafe service, have outside seating available, Free WiFi & customer toilets.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were delighted to find a new place to eat when coming to the theatre, situated bang opposite the regent theatre entrance. The decor is a little stark, brightly lit and slightly like a cafe rather than a bistro, however,the first time we came we were late and only had forty minutes before needing to leave so were advised to have simple starters, which we did.The service was speedy and efficient and we had plenty of time to enjoy our delicious scallops, home made caramelized onion tart and hummus with bread and balsamic vinegar and olives. The second time we came with family and gave ourselves an hour and a half to relax and enjoy the full experience without rushing. The boys had steak which apparently was sublime (with chunky wedges on the side) The girls had fish and chicken dishes which, although nice were a bit under seasoned for us. The service was superb and friendly, nothing was too much trouble and in the end we decided to come back in the interval to enjoy pudding and coffee, which sure enough was on our table waiting for us along with another couple who had obviously decided to do the same. We decided this is the way to do it away from the theatre scrum with plenty of time to use the loo without the usual queue, with no rush because you're only a minute away from the theatre and can actually see people going back to their seats from the restaurant!!! The disappointment is it always seems so quiet and I cant think why the theatre goers of Stoke havn't cottoned on yet... oh well it's to our advantage, but it would be nice to see it a bit more vibrant...

1  Thank Leanbean_13
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Hi Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed your dining experience on both occasions.

Being new on the scene I guess it will take a little while to get really busy, but we want to always maintain the level of service and quality of food.

Hope to see you again soon. We have a new Theatre Package available so you can enjoy pre theatre, intermission plus after the show to wind down with a Coffee, Dessert & Liqueur.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Visited zest for the second time with my partner and her friend for a light lunch.The place is extremely clean and contempory and the owners are really pleasant.Again one of the specials was the pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and a "bucket" of really tasty wedges...fried with the skin on...no contest.The food is freshly cooked so there is a wait,but I don't mind waiting for good food.There's a choice of breads-I'd recommend the G.I for the pulled pork,though I had the white today which was just as tasty,and I was also given a small jug of bbq pork juice to pour over my wedges...lovely!
My partner had a fresh chicken salad,and also had a side of wedges-she said the salad was beautiful,with a nice vinaigrette dressing and tender chicken.
Our friend opted for the vegetarian starter platter for one and there was plenty of different little pots of olives,oils,feta,sundried tomatoes,fresh bread and salad.She also ordered a side of wedges and,yes,she enjoyed them too.
All in all another enjoyable dinner hour spent at zest....we shall return..!

1  Thank Dean J
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Hi

Thanks for you positive review. Glad you enjoyed the food, As you stated it is all freshly prepared and cooked to order. Look forward to seeing you all soon. Hope you get a chance to try out our Bistro menu sometime, we open every Friday & Saturday Night plus every night the Regent Theatre is open.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently came here for something for dinner and thought at first the food was slightly overpriced (£4.50 for a salmon fishcake starter and £14.95 for sirloin steak, potato wedges and mushrooms) but then rethought my initial as I realised the food was actually home-made, made to order. Couldn't fault the food expect for the slightly chewy well-done steak, the rest was a nice taste of texture, flavour and colour.
Service was impeccable, every request made was quickly dealt with and the layout of the restaurant was very modern and hospitable.

1  Thank Chris H
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hi Chris

Thanks for your review. Sorry you you found the steak chewy. The problem anyone has with cooking steaks well done, is that they do loss their moistness more than a medium or medium rear, but glad you liked the home cooked food.

We use mainly locally sourced fresh produce, prepare and cook all food to order, so as you pointed out we might not be the cheapest in town. But I hope we deliver on value for money.

Hope to see you soon, and next time let me know you in so I can tempt you with a less well done steak.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Me self and 2 colleagues went in on our lunch hour to try out as the cafe was not busy. (One other table of 3 people).
We ordered within 5 minutes of arriving, all having toasted sandwiches with potato wedges.
We waited 30minutes for our food to arrive, luckly the food was lovely but the service was not as good.
I would not recommend going here before the theatre unless you have plenty of time.

1  Thank Danielle D
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Hi Thanks for your review, we are pleased that you found the food good, but sorry to see you rated us only as 3* based on your experience. All our food is prepared and cooked fresh to order. As we never received any complaint on the day it is hard to deal with a complaint later.

When you came in we had 4 other parties just in front of you, plus some takeout orders, no excuse but you implied we were not busy. I had a look on the order system and it showed your food was completed in 18 minutes.

We did find it a little unfair to comment about our Pre Theatre Bistro as you only came into the Cafe at lunch time. Next time you in the area please pop in and let us put it right for you.

We also hope you will come in and enjoy our Theatre Bistro Experience first hand so you can then give us a fair critic based on your actual experience.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

A smart, modern restaurant which makes the most of it's space with huge wall mirrors reflecting the clean lines of the furniture Zest is right opposite the Regent Theatre. Great for a pre-theatre dinner - and you don't have to rush, you can go back for dessert after the show! We had a great meal, I enjoyed the wild mushroom soup while my husband began with olives, artisan bread and balsamic vinegar. He opted for the fish, really fresh line caught sea bass cooked to perfection (he said), and I had the pumpkin risotto, full of flavour. After the soup and risotto I didn't think I could do justice to a dessert, but just couldn't resist the crème brulee - and I'm very glad I didn't.
(My husband rarely eats dessert so settled for ice cream.) Topped off with coffee and two totally replete diners walked slowly back to their car! Would we return - oh yes.

1  Thank Crosscultureimages
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hi Thanks for your great review, and we pleased you enjoyed your food. Sorry we only delivered 4* on the service, no excuses, but you had a new waitress on the night. Hopefully on your next visit we will get 5* across the board. We look forward to your next visit.