“If you want to save and your thick skinned.....please read....”
Review of The Crown & Anchor

The Crown & Anchor
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stoke-on-Trent
The Crown & Anchor
Ranked #16 of 17 Stoke-on-Trent B&B and Inns
“If you want to save and your thick skinned.....please read....”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I booked to stay at this hotel with my husband and 2 friends as it was the cheapest place near to Alton Towers....we had a tight budget.
when we saw it was £15 a night we prepared for it to be very basic.
we looked at the other reviews but saving money came out on top.
I did however prepare for the worst. I bought with me...spare bed clothes, my own towel antibac gel and wipes. And my own tbags. I also bought cleaning products for the bathroom.
ALL of these things HAD to be used.
We stayed on a monday and tuesday and had the top floor.
The rooms were cold and very drab....bed clothes had hairs and dust and u couldnt tell if they'd been washed ... they didnt smell bad but we changed them anyway.
I found faeces on the toilet ...whichbi cleaned and i doubt the shower cubicle had seen a scourer in a very very long time.

The food was very basic, they would be 'just popping out for a fag' when we wanted service and apparently we were 'lucky' they had some jam as delivery wasnt til the next day....orange juice was out of the question.

BUT, my friends and I went there with a positive attitude, we didnt moan....because we had sufficient warning ...
the staff there....main man Tony (not the owner) the insomniac knew it was a total dive...admitted it in the bar....was very friendly and literally didnt have man power provided to keep up with the basics.

DO NOT book this place if u can afford to go elsewhere...apart fromTony....it wasnt a relaxing place to stay, it was unhygenic and a potential risk to health if we hadbt come prepared.
we had a real laugh in the end....Alton Towers is themed...we felt like we were in an extension of that each night. The Hotel of Horror!!
If you do book it....then go in a group...not individually or as a couple....
oh, and dont forget the antibac!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Sandra H

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

As me and my partner arrived we came across the crown hotel...but we booked a hotel on laterooms called crown and anchor hotel. we gave them a quick call just to confirm we had the right hotel when the girl on other end said no we are not the crown and anchor...... so we circled around for a little bit. i pulled into the car park at the back and my partner ran in, 5mins later he came out turns out we were in right place after all! As we were arrived there were 2 girls behind the desk and this poor woman with 2 children pushchair and shopping bags was checking in. we started yo checking in and the poor woman was told where her room was and left too it struggling up the stairs with everything. after we got key my partner and i helped out the woman! WE BITH SAID THAT SHE SHOULD OF BEEN POINTED OUT THE LIFT OR ATLEAST A MEMBER OF STAFF SHOULD OF HELPED! instead she was left stuggling when we arrived at the room it was small could do with seeing a duster or a hoover ensuite was ting couldnt move around at all toilet wouldnt flush properly. the bed eveytime you moved you got a spring in your back or side! didnt sleep very well. all in all wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank shizzleandbizzle
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Awful from start to finish. Booked through late rooms, and wouldnt go back. The decor inside is painful, it needs refurbishment ASAP, all seems very dated and dingy. The rooms were basic, and a reasonable size for the price we'd paid. However the bathroom was disgusting, the sink was falling apart! We didn't fancy eating in the hotel so ventured outside to have a look around for somewhere to have tea. After walking around for about half an hour, all we had found was a pub with drunk football fans, so ended up having to order a dominoes. Nothing in the town was open, it all looked very run down. When we'd returned to our room we couldn't get in as the key wouldn't work, after a while of trying, we had to go to reception and ask them to come up and open it, he said he knew of the problem but hadn't got it fixed yet and you had to wriggle the key a certain way to get into our room?! When morning came we couldn't leave the hotel or town fast enough!

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abi j
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Upon arrival drunks and asylum seekers loitering in the reception area.
Booked through laterooms and the attendant couldn't even find our booking, so had to go through the whole rigmarole of booking in again. We arrived fairly late and the foreign attendant couldn't hear or understand us and this took over 20 minutes.
After we arrived and saw all the off key people, we were dubious but had now paid and wanted to get some rest. As we went up stair the wall paper was all hanging off, the was graffiti on light switches and scratched into glass. When we got to our room it absolutely stank, the light didn't work and there was only a single mattress propped up against the wall.
This was completely unacceptable and we were too put off to stay.
We asked for a refund and have not received one to date!
We had to leave at midnight to try and find another hotel, and upon being let in to a closed hotel who treated us extremely well we were informed that The Crown is locally known as a DSS HOSTEL, NOT A HOTEL!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pete S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our time at this hotel was disgusting. The bathroom was an awful standard, old, dingy and quite honestly a state! The room was adequate, but lacked any sophistication or style, I don't expect a 5* room for what I paid, but furniture that's falling apart and a room decorated out of the 60s, a little modernisation wouldn't go a miss! A portable stand/stool used to put a television on was not safe, nor helpful in anyway! Our lock also broke, which meant we couldn't get into our room for 2 hours, fortunately and the only good thing I will say, is that the staff who were around at the time were helpful in resolving this problem. Overall a horror story for myself and my partner, we will never be staying here, or in the town again being that there is nothing here! My car out in the car park felt like a more luxurious option!!

• Stayed May 2013