“lovely unusual restaurant”
Review of Blondies Twisted Tea Room - CLOSED

Blondies Twisted Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional British afternoon tea style service, loose teas, weekly specials, home-made cakes, award winning scones and a side of dreaming. Because we're twisted our afternoon tea is served all day long ........ And we are now licensed so you can add a lovely treat to your Afternoon Tea. (Please note we do operate Challenge 25, so please don't be offended if we ask you your age!) Have a look at our FB page.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

visited today looked small when entering but extensive seating downstairs lovely decor very good staff pleasant efficient nothing too much trouble. checked out the menu what a choice all fresh home made produce lots of interesting meals, snacks great range of drinks from the humble cuppa to the more unusual teas and coffees. specials of the day also and very surprised at the prices there were lots of people there who we chatted to who eat there every week that says it all. will be visiting again very soon.

1  Thank elizabeth l

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I came here for lunch with a friend after reading lots of great reviews about this place and was really looking forward to it. I reserved a table through their website and received a lovely acknowlegement email with directions to the tearoom. The tearoom itself is quirky and original, really setting itself apart from other tearooms in the area, the decor is lovely. My friend and I both went for afternoon tea. I had the Natural Blonde (tea, sandwich, salad, nachos, dip, cake and scone) for £9.50, whilst my friend had the Golden Blonde (tea, toasted sandwich, salad, nachos, dip, cheese, pate, grapes and savoury scone & biscuits) £10. Although the tearoom was not too busy, we found that we had waited over 30 minutes to be served our drinks. We waited a further 15 minutes for our food to arrive. To be fair, it was worth the wait as both meals looked delicious, generously piled high on cake stands. However, my friend's stand was missing the pate and grapes. The 2 staff members seemed to be upstairs a lot so my friend ventured upstairs to grab their attention to question this. A few minutes later he received his pate, but was informed that there were no grapes. The meals were wonderful and you do get value for money, but where the tearoom lets itself down is in the service. It was not attentive enough and my friend had to keep going upstairs to get attention (once for further drinks, then for the bill and finally for a bag to take a piece of cake home). On this occasion the tearoom was in my opinion short staffed, or if it wasn't, then they really do need to consider an extra pair of hands to keep customer service standards up. Having said this, I would definately go back as it really is a lovely little tearoom that deserves to do well.

3  Thank Mim186378
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We arranged to have blondies afternoon tea for our friends birthdays.
We paid extra for linen etc which was lovely
The afternoon tea was on a cake stand each!
Really really top draw for not too much choice as it would spoil it!
And good luck trying to eat it all!
The lovely waitress offered if we wanted to take any home - what a nice gesture and unusual nowadays!
We had lots of tea and our waitress couldn't of done more!
The had a party downstairs which didn't effect our service whatsoever!
The only negative and this is so small but they had booked a party in the upstairs bit where we Wer situated to start at 2pm- we had finished our meals and had bill brought over with cash on it at 1.30 but no one came to take it and then a lady ( not the waitress we had) came over and advised us there was a booking at 2. Slightly slightly rude as we were ready to go and obviously we said we were ready to go- a little pitfall but i wouldnt let this effect you visiting this gem of stoke on trent - best place to eat in stoke. Xx

1  Thank Lilijean
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Blondies is one of a kind in Stoke on Trent so I want to support them!
The teas and scones are great. Most of the cakes are very good too.
I've had a not-so-fresh tasting cake once.
I went in the summer and it was VERY hot and stuffy but because it was closing time I wasn't allowed to prop the front door open even though everyone in there was nearly fainting.
In other ways though the service is very good.
The decor is very inviting and the menu is great.
A few more veggie specials would be welcome.

1  Thank atypicalpen
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Blondies Twisted Tea Room has popped up in a premises where several very diverse little restaurants have tried and died over the last decade. I've always thought this was a good little spot for a place to eat and been surprised nobody has made it work consistently.

I think (and hope) that's changed with Blondies Twisted Tea Rooms.

Walking through the door you get hit with the fragrance of different teas and scones and cakes that immediately set your imagination off. The jumbled vintage chic decor has real character and you can see a lot of thought has been put in to how things are presented here.

We'd booked a table for afternoon tea at 2pm on a miserable wet Saturday afternoon to warm us up after a trawl through town. My other half had a "Double Twisted" Croque Monsieur and I went for the "Golden Blonde" afternoon tea special. The size of my tea was epic - served on a three tier cake stand...a toasted sandwich with nachos and dip and salad on the bottom, bread with cheeses and pate on the middle and a large fresh scone with cream and jam on the top.

I had a pot of premium Assam tea to wash it all down which delivered a generous four full cups in the vintage bone china provided. My other half had a Cream Earl Grey which she really enjoyed too.

All in all the food was magnificent and the prices are decent. It's not cheap but considering the fill we both had it was actually a bargain. Most tea rooms and chain coffee places charge a lot of money for not much actual product, but at Blondies you actually get what you are paying for.

Don't be put off by the basement - it is where the better tables are in my opinion and you don't feel claustrophobic at all as there is natural light in there. It is advisable to book though - Blondies is popular and it's not hard to see why.

Service was friendly and knowledgeable, and our waiter took time to have a chat with us about our day. There was a little confusion over the bill at the end but it was sorted out with no fuss after we questioned it. The food was a little slow to come, but considering the size and freshness of it, I am certainly not complaining one bit.

All in all Blondies is a fabulous little treat and wouldn't be out of place in Manchesters Northern Quarter. It's the kind of place Hanley badly needs. So I would urge everyone who likes the quirky independent spots to Use it or Lose it. I hear too many people complain that Stoke doesn't have anything worth shouting about - well here's somewhere to support!

4  Thank Hushmore