“Not impressed”

The Mango Tree
Ranked #211 of 538 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: NOTE:- The Mango Tree Hanley does NOT have any other branch.
stoke on trent
“Not impressed”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went to this buffet restaurant for a birthday party. Apart from slow service and no real welcome the food tasted old and didn't look great! I have been before and it was better. Maybe this was a one off even still no one came over to ask if we wanted anything extra etc and we were excluded from from the main body of the restaurant almost hidden away!

• Visited January 2013

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value with Great Service!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Massive range of dishes, if there is something you want which is not on the menu they will readily russle it up for you! (My boyfriend being an extrememly picky vegetarian this was a great help!)
Really friendly staff who showed us around the buffet area and prompt removal of empty plates and refills of drinks.
More dessert choice would be great BUT you always expect that in a buffet style restaurant!
Will definitely return soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Awful Customer Service, Average Food, Food Hygiene Rating of 3 (Says it all).”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Myself and my Spouse arranged to go to the Mango Tree so neither of us had to cook, could both have a drink, and do this on a low budget. We first phoned to reserve our table, which was all fine. It wasn't until we had plodded through the snow, including the heavy snow on the car park (most formidable restuarants would have at least cleared the snow to entice customers and ensure easy access on & off the car park), that we first walked into the restaurant are. When convienient for her to get off the phone, I was quickly and abruptly told by one of the female staff to go into the bar area to wait (Customer Service & Manners Award goes to...). Then after waiting for over ten minutes while she darted around the restaurant with complete disregard to us, eventually a male member of staff came to the bar. First he asked if we wanted any drinks, and THEN informed us that due to it being quiet, there is no buffet, and the chef will just cook what you want. If I wanted to do that I could go to a normal indian restaurant and not one with a buffet format so I can have multiple items at once. Other than the fact that we should have been informed first before being offered drinks, they should have said this when we intially phoned! Then we would have arranged to go elsewhere rather than make the journey to The Mango Tree & only be dissappointed. After receiving this information, we decided on trying The Saghir Express In Longton after seeing good reviews, and we were not dissappointed, was great food, great choice, great service, and we will be back (every cloud have a silver lining and all that I guess). In Short, regarding the Mango Tree, the telephone conversations, basic manners, & customer service needs a COMPLETE overhaul! Avoid!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank drdebug01
“Awful service, average food”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Visited the mango tree this evening and was extremely dissapointed by the whole experience.
Firstly we were told it wasn't a buffet as they were too quiet.
We had to wait 10 minutes I the bar to be seated.
They we sat down with our drinks and some popadoms were plonked on out table it hour a word said... Eventually we readily we could get salads and chutneys from the buffet!
10 minutes later a selection of starters see again dumped on the table without a word.
Following this someone came and asked us what we wanted for a main without even a mention of a menu or what we could order?
We ordered out food only for a table of 10 to come in so they decided to start the buffet without telling us. So we cancelled out original orders to then have some of the buffet good which was extremely limited

All this topped off with unbelievably loud music so we couldn't hear each other talk and cold air conditioning blown on us throughout ruining the evening further!

The first time I've been...and I won't be going back!

1 Thank Barneyrubs
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Worst Asian food I've ever 'eaten'”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Visited this evening and I can honestly say it is the worst asian food and service I have ever had in my life!!
The salad bar was scarce to say the least, starters were soggy and disappointing and the mains (well lack of them) were awful!! Think we had the choice of 2/3?? Just normal naan or pilau rice!
Needless to say this was our 1st and last visit to the mango tree!!!!

1 Thank Graeme J