“Cheap and cheerful!”

Best Western Stoke East
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend as an overnight stop for Alton Towers. Perfect for such an occasion! Stayed in room number 1 which unfortunately was right next to the stairs. They could be doing with some extra carpeting because we could hear every single person as they came and went. Room was brilliant though! Clean, spacious, comfy bed.

Went to the Hungry Horse next door for dinner which was great! Exactly what we needed!

There's a McDonald's right across the road which we went to for an early breakfast before leaving.

Guy on the front desk was lovely :)

With the exception of the loud stairs, nothing to complain about!

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Overnight stay with my son for uni Open Day. Twin room was clean, spacious, well stocked tea & coffee facility & toiletries, comfy beds. Only downside was wall attached hair dryer seemed a bit dodgy, but they obviously knew this as there was a spare one on the side. Also water was pretty cold for a shower, but bearable. Good & easy access hot food downstairs in Hungry Horse. Staff all very friendly and helpful.Reading some other reviews, I think some people expect too much. Basically, you get what you pay for, but this was definitely brilliant value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

stopped here for one night as a stop over for alton towers the next day. good basic room, we had a double and still room for a sofa in the corner...don't get me wrong it could do with a bit of an upgrade but still, it was ok....apart from the electrical appliances

went to use the hair dryer (the one attached to the wall) it fell apart in my hand (nearly electrocuted me!!) and went to have a cup of tea this morning and inside the kettle was green...I went over the maccies to have a cuppa but the kettle was truly disgusting

also, I know the hotel couldn't help it but there were some very drunk men in front of the pub shouting and saying inappropriate things to people on the way in...wasn't very nice

so, good location ,comfy room and good wifi also...just be aware of the appliances

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Myself and my partner went to alton towers in july 2013 we left the resort and were looking for somewhere to stay when we came across this place! All we wanted after a fun packed day was pub grub a shower and bed, amazing we found if and brilliant prices! Looking forwArd to staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having read some of the reviews on here we weren't expecting much as far as budget hotels go. The reception was unattended when we arrived but there was a sign informing us to ask at the main bar. In the bar area we were approached immediately and told that someone would come through to reception shortly.

We didn't wait long, the assistant manager appeared almost instantly and was very friendly and pleasant. We were booked in very quickly and given our keys so made our way up to our rooms. The rooms were a little larger than expected and well equipped, clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and even the tv worked properly, with a sleep function so we could fall asleep watching tv. Curtains would have been better than the blinds at keeping the light out in the morning but the blinds weren't too bad. As someone else has previously pointed out, the walls do appear a little thin, we could hear a considerable amount of noise from the room next door at a stupidly early time of the morning.

We unpacked and made our way down to the bar area for a few drinks and some food. I have to say the food was fantastic, as was the service and range of drinks available. Rarely do we find many bars that are able to meet all of our first choice of drinks requirements first time and the prices weren't extortionate either. Breakfast was also impressive, massive choice, quick service and very good value for money.

The only bad point during our 2 night stay was 1 meal on our second night in the restaurant, where it took 3 attempts to get what was requested and even then they failed to a degree. The failure was addressed with a free pudding of our choice so complaint was resolved.

That minor issue aside, we enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Spent one night here on an 'Alton Towers Trip.' Check in was unmanned. A chap dashed by and said he would be back in a minute, but took him rather a long time to re-appear. In the meantime a very pleasant lady cut short her break to assist us. Room was clean, but rather cold - soon warmed up. Nice clean bed and bathroom. Threadbare chairs rather let the room down. Stayed on a Tuesday night and no problem with people running up and down etc. Didn't eat there as no breakfast promo in room to catch the eye and children were distracted by MacDonalds!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We went as a group of 4. The assistant manager (guy with badly trimmed grey mustache) is racist! He was rude, and extremely ignorant! He was giving us unpleasant looks the minute we walked in. Even after we placed our order which was over £35 he kept looking over!
We ordered 4 meals all were awful!
My meal was bangers and mash, with veg, the mash was cold and frozen in some places I had one bite and spat it out! The sausages were beyond disgusting, very cheap poor quality meat, had one bite. I asked for sweetcorn instead of peas, but of course they gave me peas! Sent it back and 10 minutes later they came out with a corn on the cob which had little flavour!
I ordered a vodka and coke, the glass came less then half full! The coke was flat! I sent it back and they brought me another which was just as flat, I told them but they couldn't care less, there was no fizz at all! So I went across the road to tesco to get a cold fresh can of Pepsi! And of course when I bring it in and pour some in my flat drink the assistant manager comes and takes my can! I told him I got it because the coke is flat, he didn't even apologise or anything just took my can! He spoke to us loudly at our table like we were naughty children in a classroom! My partner was fuming she had to leave and go outside to calm down after his public display of humiliation!
The only positive thing I can say is one of the waitresses, Hayley, was nice and polite and tried to do everything she could to rectify all the issues, she doesn't deserve to be working in a poor establishment like this!
I have sent this genuine review to the hungry horse head office for them to look into!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolamacnerney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
4 mi away
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel

Been to Best Western Stoke East? Share your experiences!