“Worst place ever!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
London, United Kingdom
“Worst place ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was the most awful place i have ever been too. Firstly i was not even a guest but had travelled up to drop some clothes off to my partner who was working in the area. My partner works long weeks away from home and i travelled up to stoke to drop stuff off. I arrived at my partners work he gave me the key to his room then i drove to the plough and entered his room and began to put his clothes away. After ten minuites the housekeeper knocked on the door telling me i had to leave. I kindly explained what i was doing there and was discusted with the response. She informed me that i shouldnt be in there and that the room was not booked for anymore nights. When there was another week left booked! She then said that if i didnt remove all his stuff then she would be removing the stuff herself. I explained repeatedly that my partners employer had paid for another week but the woman objected. To save my partners belongings being thrown onto the street i paid for another room and moved his belongings to another room. This room was even worse. The kettle and hairdryer did not work the hot tap in the bath did not work either. Aside from this the woman charged us both to stay in the room even tho i wasnt staying and charged my partners employer for the other room we got asked to move from for another night! He has complained repeatedly asking for refunds to be told that the area manager who never is avaliable will sort it out. Other than this hassle the hotel is noisy and dirty Stay well clear!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 201Abb201

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed for 1 night on business. I stay in a lot of hotels booked through my employer ( who i will be telling about this). When I arrived, i wanted to turn around and find another hotel but couldn't as it had already been paid for.
I took the quilt off the bed as it was dirty and slept with my clothes on. The mattress had hard springs which made it a terrible nights sleep. Fortunately I looked in the kettle before I made a cup of coffee, I cannot describe what it was like, it still makes me feel sick now. I ate in the restaurant, it was a joke for the price.
Outside the rooms there is litter everywhere.
Please don't stay here, I wish I had read the reviews before I came. I stayed at the Weather Vane in Meir, not far away, a much better hotel and same price. i wish I had had a camera to take some pictures.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AandRsheffield

Travelers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Ayrshire, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Its over two years since I last stayed here and in the meantime it certainly hasn't seen a lick of paint, however its is clean and the bed was relatively comfortable. At £35 for room only it does the job for a one night stay.

The pub & restaurant were poor though. No real ale in the pub, although advertised; and the food (which friends in the area tell me used to be excellent) was awful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank thistle-do-nicely
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My girlfriend and i travlled to this hotel for the second to visit Alton Towers. We knew that this was not a 5* hotel but it done the job. After a long journey from Edinburgh/Scotland we arrived about half past 10 to find out that the hotel had no idea we were even supposed to be there even though we had booked it a month in advance. After a few phone calls and a look about the staff managed to find our booking but to only tell us that they no longer had rooms. We agreed to move to the Crown Hotel just along the road on the pre tenses that we get a full refund of our money which the hotel staff completely agreed with and assured me that I would get a full refund and that the area manager would be in contact. The full weekend past and no one had been in contact so i decided to go in before i left and once again I was told that I would get a refund but their accountant only processed them on Fridays and I could expect my money back then. With little faith I waited till Friday and to no suprise I hadnt recieved my refund. Back on the phone to the hotel and again i was told it had been taken care of and that i was to keep an eye out over the weekend. Monday morning comes along and there is still no money so again I contact the hotel and I eventually manage to speak to the area manager who tells me that he had ino clue about this ( even though it has nearly been 2 weeks since i travelled down) and I would not be getting any refund. This is the last time i deal with either The Plough Motel or The Crown ( which i was told was a better hotel.......the words hostel come to mind better than this hotel!)Staff at first were very nice but true colours showed through and turned out to be liars and and not helpful at all. I would never recommend these hotels to anyone now espically the The Crown, it is very old, bed was horrid, curtains were not even up in room I had to do them myself and the noise from outside the hotel just makes it the worst hotel i have stayed in. I am not one for doing this and I usually dont complain as long as the hotel is clean and tidy but this hotel was far from this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven M
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Having read some of the reviews after my parents had booked it we was very worried. On arrival we was pleasantly surprised all looked good, at the reception desk we was met by a young guy who was very helpful let us check 40 mins early no probs. The rooms were clean tidy and for the money well equipped. We went for a quick lunch which was great value for money and decent food too...... All in All staff great, accomodation more than value for money. If I was going to whinge I could not get WiFi to work and the bar shut early for a residents venue failing that ALL GOOD we paid 77 pound for a double and a single room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Juschris
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

this place should be shut down its disgusting i checked in and then checked straight out again as i was not gonna stay here. Mould in bath, soiled sheets and floors, broken bath, broken door handle the list is endless. My advice find somewhere else to stay as i wouldnt even let my dog stay in there rooms

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Danni B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

A group of four of us recently stayed for one night using rooms that we had booked via Booking.com. We paid for the rooms on arrival and were then double charged via the Booking.com reservation, we have unsuccessfully been attempting to get our money back since. We shall now be seeking redress, refund and compensation via the County Court and the Small Claims procedure.

We have been given a range of excuses for the delay/lack of refund and both the General Manager and Managing Director continually refuse to speak to us; we have been treated appallingly and would not want anyone else to have to go through the same experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShiremoorPotter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!