“A must”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional English restaurant
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We would never have found this gem of a place, but it was recommended to us, so we thought we would give it a try. We will certainly be going back, but will need to book early as apparently it is becoming increasingly popular.
Baby Russets is quite a small restaurant with a lovely atmosphere. The staff are really friendly and the food is wonderful. It took me ages to choose from the menu, as everything sounded delicious. I finally plumped for the soup of the day (butternut squash), which was exquisite, though I would have preferred a brown roll with it. I followed this with the duck, which was served with probably the most delicious sauce I have ever tasted. I really did not need any dessert, but I decided to try the apple pie which turned out to be the only disappointing part of the evening: the pastry was lovely, but could have done with more apple.
Overall, it was a great evening at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were invited out to dinner at Baby Russets by friends and had a fantastic dining experience last night.

Located in the centre of Stoke town centre near the kings hall you could be forgiven for walking straight past it. The frontage of the restaurant does not do this place justice, what lies inside this understated exterior is a gem of a restaurant.
Parking is great as its located right opposite a massive pay and display carpark which is infact free after 6pm in the evening.

Once inside the first thing that hits you is it's atmosphere, it was half full when we arrived at 6pm and all I can say is the atmosphere here is effortless. No fancy decor but they have absolutely nailed the ambience

Food was gorgeous and sensibly priced with lots of choice

The waiting staff managed to get the interaction spot on. They were professional whilst being friendly. Not being over familiar with you but not being too stuffy and over professional. The owners here have got the whole thing spot on. The right ambience, the right chef and completed it with the right service staff. Well done!

1  Thank ASPC
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Been to Baby Russets twice now, once for my birthday at the end of August, with partner and friends. And again in September for in-laws anniversary.

Both times have been brilliant, great food, great service, great hosts and lovely atmosphere.

The portions are huge and nobody has ever left there needing to call for a burger on the way home (a couple of friends have massive appetites).

Make sure you book well in advance. They're always full.

We will be visiting again before Christmas, can't wait.

1  Thank DaRsh_108
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am really sorry to have to write this review, as everything I've read and heard about this place has been superb.
I'll start with the good points. The staff are amazing, so friendly, couldn't do enough for you. The drinks menu, whilst limited, is amazing value for money. The portions are huge, and altogether for 2 people with 3 courses each plus wine the bill was £54 - very reasonably priced.
All of this would suggest an excellent dining experience. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the chef was having an off day! Unfortunately, the food was just abysmal. Chicken liver pâté that left a chemical aftertaste; mushrooms swimming in water; a 'battered haddock' that was limp, greasy and tasteless; a mixed grill with a lamb chop that was 90% gristle and a chicken breast too tough to chew and bloody inside. The only saving graces were the steak with the mixed grill which was cooked to perfection, and the chips. Even the slices of lemon in our water had clearly been stored with the salad items as they tasted of onion!
As I said, judging by the rest of the reviews here they must have had an off night, but I'm afraid to say I will never be going back to Baby Russets.

7  Thank Tikkaboo1981
babyrussets, Owner at Baby Russets, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

We usually don't respond to all the reviews on here even though we are so grateful for everyones comments and feedback. However this review we feel is a little harsh saying that our food is "abysmal" as on this particular evening you were asked throughout your meal if everything was ok and never suggested that there were any problems with your meal whatsoever and everything was consumed on each course. If you had raised any concerns we would have done everything to put it right and to try to make everything as lovely as possible for you. We are sorry that you've decided not to visit us again as we value everyones custom but thank you anyway for your feedback.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having read the excellent reviews we went with friends on the 2nd November and can only confirm previous customer`s comments. Food was lovely, relaxed atmosphere and great service. Three course meal drinks and coffee worked out at £25 per person. Excellent Value. Will definitely return.