“Inconsistent. Mostly good though.”
Review of Spice Exchange

Spice Exchange
Ranked #40 of 537 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Inconsistent. Mostly good though.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is good when the boss is there at the weekend but in the week the staff definitely have a bad attitude and can be rude. They need a lesson in customer focus. I do love this place but you need to know what to order as some dishes are too sweet or generic whereas the other dishes are sublime and the flavours work well. I still think this is one of the best restaurants around but the staff being confrontational when the boss away spoils the experience.

• Visited May 2013

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my first visit to the Spice Exchange and I was very impressed. The staff were very friendly and attentive even on a busy night.
The food was fantastic, I would rate this as one of the 2 best places to go for a curry in Stoke-on-Trent the other being in Leek.

Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Nice food - overstaffed and terrible service”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had high expectations when we booked to dine in Spice Exchange in April 2013. It had always seemed busy and our first visit in May 2012 had been fabulous. Friendly staff and lovely food/atmosphere.
On arrival at 7.30 the restaurant was nearly empty. Staff were standing around looking bored and watching our every move. When our food arrived we were asked on more than one occasion if we would like more drinks and were rudely interuppted by the staff taking empty dishes away half way through the meal. We felt like we were constantly observed; one member of staff stood just inches from our table so we felt quite rushed throughout.
The worst and most shocking part of the night was when they started to clear our table when one member of the party was still eating!! This we thought was very rude and disrespectful and really did help us make our decision never to eat there again.
I think it has changed hands - as someone previously mentioned the staff were unrecognisable and there were far too many constantly 'hanging around' the table.
The food on the other hand was very nice - it's just such a shame that the service lets it down - will not be going back in a hurry thats for sure!

1 Thank 735RachaelB
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not sure anymore - has it changed hands ?”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been singing the praises of this place for a long time. It has easily been the best restaurant, Asian or otherwise, in the Potteries for some time. The food and the service has always been exemplary. But I've been 3 times in the last 7 months or so and it's not the same. The owner / front of house is never about - he used to run this place beautifully and is an excellent restauranteur - he has been conspicuous by his absence. The waiting staff I do not recognise and are not quite as efficient and organised. The food is still good and a notch above the other 'curry' style restaurants in the Potteries but quality has deteriorated. It's difficult to quantify the fall from grace but its definitely not as good. The meat certainly wasn't as tender and the flavours and attention to detail have suffered somewhat. It's not at crisis point but the new owner or the chap who we used to see a lot needs to take the reins again and steer his restaurant back into calm waters. I'm not the first person to notice this. I adore this place and I hope it gets back to business as usual again. In the past I would have given this place 9/10; now I shall give this place 7/10 which isn't bad at all but not as great as it has been. Still better than the rest though. The portion size is smaller than most Asian 'curry' restaurants but this has never been an issue with us as we have found the other restaurants in the Potteries tend to over face you with substandard generic slop.

1 Thank gastronaut2010
Alsager,, England, United Kingdom
“Best Indian Ever!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have been to Spice Exchange quite a few times over the last few years and have never been disappointed. It is my all time favourite Indian restaurant! We were there again last night for my son's birthday meal, he had free choice of any restaurant, and chose Spice Exchange. We had a beautiful meal and great service! Can't wait for our next visit!