“Nice Hotel, restaurant service was disapointing”

Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, restaurant service was disapointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel is pretty much what you would expect for it's price range. The Checkin was smooth, the room clean, everything worked (even the swisscom wifi [remember to pickup 24hour voucher codes from reception) was good.

The downside was the resteraunt. While the choices and prices were what I'd expect, they were just not geared up to feed as many people who wanted dinner. I couln't get a table till 8:30 , and my starter arrived at 9:30. There were only two waiting staff all evening

Room Tip: The building is a maze! There are no really noisey areas from my 2 day experievce
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear John_corne,

Many thanks for your review on your stay at BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke On Trent Moat House. We do appreicate you taking the time to do so.

I was delighted to read your kind comments made about the overall hotel and that we lived upto your expectations. I was disappointed to read your comments about the Restaurant service and I have passed your comments onto Marc our Food & Beverage Manager to investigate and to make sure we have the correct staffing levels on shift at the right time.

I do hope that should you be in Stoke On Trent again, you would give us another visit so that we can give you the service we are proud of.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was on a business trip in Stoke on Trent and someone put me up at the Moat House. That hotel is a very good example of the friendliness that one can expect in Northern England (whether Stoke should be called the North at all is a totally separate issue). A very efficient and pleasant check in. Clean comfy bed and very decent bathroom. I had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was excellent. The only imperfection (and I am a rather picky person, sorry) is that the hotel is about 2.5 miles away from the train station. But a cab ride from the station will only cost about £4, and I know I can't have everything in life...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Gamfruit,

Thank you for taking time to write such a great review on tripadvisor.co.uk.

We love to hear when our guests enjoy their stay and recieve the great customer service we are proud of.

We look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke On Trent Moat House in the near future.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Looking forward to staying here for the second time, we were not disappointed. Welcomed by the lovely Jane, then getting exactly the same room as last time, fantastic. Really appreciated this and obviously the staff had done their homework. Impressive. We had such a relaxing fun time. This time, we used the restaurant as it came with the deal. Fantastic. Our two meals we had there were superb. If you like fish, I would highly recommend the king prawn starter then the seabass. Oh just amazing. Then the cheese board. Wow! My husband Dave enjoyed his mushroom starter with blue cheese and walnuts, then the fish and chips, followed by fruit. Second night had more prawns as they were just so yummy then the king prawn linguine. Loads of lovely king prawns, yum. Then the cherry bakewell cheesecake and homemade cherry icecream, different and very nice. Still preferred my cheeseboard! Dave finished with eton mess. Our waiter Robert on the second night was a treat!
The breakfasts are amazing. Lots of lovely fruit, nice cooked breakfast, very nice. We were actually down to see Port Vale FC, however because of the snow it was cancelled. How did we find out, Linda who was in charge of brekkie on Saturday morning, came and told us as the opposing team Aldershot were staying in the hotel and they had been down to the pitch to check it. How nice of her to do that. Much appreciated. Another little star is Jessica. We were talking about the area and she told us where we could go and where wasn't worth going. Excellent. Saved a trip that we didn't need.

Our room was lovely, the staff are great, all in all, we love coming here and look forward to going back next year. Thanks everyone

Louise and Dave, Aberdeen xx PS One thing which nothing to do with the hotel, but damned annoying are people on mobile phones in the diningroom through mealtimes. Not only is it totally bad mannered, but irritating. If people want to speak, take their phone outside. I would like my meals in peace. Maybe their could be a notice to keep phones on silent and take calls outside, there are ways of putting this politely!

Room Tip: Front of the building, nearest to fourth floor as possible. Very peaceful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Loobylou299,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to post your feedback onto tripadvisor.com, I was delighted to read your kind cmments made about the overall hotel, guest experiance in particular ther service you recived by Jane, Rob, Linda and Jess. I will make sure all your comments are passed onto them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and hopefully this time you will see the match!

PS the team were greatful for the chocolates fingers & Roses.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed there in March 2013 for a conference. The hotel is comfortable and clean, and the desk clerk friendly, although oddly he insisted on seeing my passport, although I'm British.
At the check-out time next morning (11:00 am) they rung dead on the hour to ask when we were vacating the room.

Nice hotel, good location, good bed, food reasonable, but I suggest the management learn to trusty their guests a little more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Morris_minor_travel

Many thanks for your review on your rescent stay at BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke On Trent Moat House.

I am delighted that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. However, I am disappointed in your comments about our team. As you will see from most of our other responses it's our team that makes the hotel with there professional and friendly approach. I will be sharing your comments with them and I am sure they will be as equally disappointed.

Once again, thank you for your review and should your travel plans bring you to ther area again I hope you would consider staying with us again. so we can give you the customer service we are usually known for.

S Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had to attend a H & S course at this venue which is about 125 miles from my home address. The H & S company were offering a deal at £109 but I booked through Booking.com and got it for £89. I only spent one night there but with what I saw I was very impressed. Very clean and spacious room for one person. Bathroom was spotless. Plenty of team and coffee making stuff (no biscuits).

Staff couldn't have been more friendly.

Pleasant and reasonably priced restaurant and spacious bar area.

I usually take advantage of the spa and leisure facilities but because my time was very limited I didn't bother. From what I could see it looked like I missed out by not giving it a go.

Would definately go back if in the area.

Dear Shiner54,

Many thanks for your great review on your rescent stay at BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke On Trent Moat House.

I am delighted to hear you found all of our team to be friendly as we always try to deliver exceptional customer service to all of our guests.

Our housekeepers take alot of time and effort in preparing our guestrooms to meet the utmost possible standards. so its lovely to hear your comments on the cleanliness of your bedroom and I will communicate this to the team.

On your next visit, you must make time to vist Club Moativation and I am sure you will enjoy the facilities we have on offer.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great place to go for a relaxing stay. Staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The price is very reasonable considering the pool/sauna/jacuzzi that are available.

Out room was immaculate and having wifi available in it is always an appreciated bonus.

I shall definitely be returning

• Stayed March 2013
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Carltoffeeman

Many thanks for the wonderful compliments regarding our hotel and staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff polite and professional.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed out FREE wifi and made use of Club Moativation whilst with us.

Why not like our Facebook or Twitter page and keep upto date with all of our calendar of events and exclusive offers.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Needing a hotel at short notice for a friend's celebration I rang Best Western and was offered a room at the Moat House. An hour later at the hotel we were offered a different, larger room as the one we had booked wasn't quite ready. The staff were very friendly, extremely helpful and very professional. The room was clean and very comfortable.

The Best Western experience made an enjoyable weekend even more so and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Andy8ch,

Many thanks for reviewing your rescent stay at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be polite and professinoal. We take pride in our customer service and aim to please each guest individually.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again should your travels bring you to the area again.

Why not like our Facebook or Twitter page and keep upto date with our calendar of events and promotions.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House? Share your experiences!