“Very pleased with the accommodation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
belfast
“Very pleased with the accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here as a family for 4 nights October 2012 as part of a coach trip to Alton Towers. As the coach trip was very reasonably priced, i assumed the accommodation would be cheap and cheerful, but i was happily proved wrong.

This is a very large hotel with plenty of facilities on the outskirts of Stoke-On-Trent. We had a very pleasant stay and would be more than happy to visit again.

I was very pleased to have use of the leisure facilities, very helpful staff on the fitness desk. We used the pool 3 times at different times of the day and it was never too crowded
Ate at the bar one night. Food 'just ok' but also reasonably priced, so we were happy :)

The breakfast was fab, busy, as you would expect in such a large hotel, but we enjoyed what was laid on. We didn't see any issues with food plates not being topped up as others have written. There was a wedding one night of our stay (more on that later) , plus our coach trip, and there was always enough of everything for everyone :)

Our family room was quite large and very pleasant. We were on the fourth floor looking down at the front entrance way, but there was no traffic noise.
The hotel is situated near to quite a few retail park-type areas. We made use of this and got our packed lunches from Sainsburys, tescos and morrisons, all within a 10-15 min walk . We ate at pizza hut and frankie and bennies, just 5 mins walk from the front door of the hotel.

I notice a few other people have mentioned it, and we had issues as well. Check in and check out time is not great.
Yes, i was with a group of around 25 checking in, but we had pre-booked and prepaid and it should have only taken someone to have the gumption to leave room keys with guest names to be handed out. Standing in line with all your bags after a 5am start and a 6 hour coach trip is not much fun!
I was last to check out from our group (everyone else was on the bus, whoops!) and i was standing waiting with all my bags for well over 10 mins whilst the one receptionsist took call after call after call on the phone. I didn't have any charges, and the room was pre-paid, so i guess i could have just left the room key and walked away, but i like to do things properly, and i felt it would have been rude to just check the keycard without saying thanks for the stay.
There was a chap behind me who said all he wanted to do was ask about room rates but he blustered and moaned and gave up and walked away after waiting and waiting to be served.

My main memory from my stay is unfortunately something that could not really have been fixed by the hotel. There was a couple of 'do's' on over the weekend we stayed, including a wedding we mentioned earlier. This led to a great deal of noise at night time, which with a family, was not ideal. I am not complaining about a bit of a disco going on til 12.30am, i am talking about constant banging on doors, running up and down corridors, smoking in the corridor, at 3, 4, 5, 6am. Seriously stupid behaviour from other guests. I do know the hotel was almost at maximum capacity the weekend we were there, as another party on our coach asked to move rooms and was told there were no other rooms free, so i appreciate you can expect some noise when there are hundreds of guests, but it was every night over the weekend. I don't know if they have a problem with people attending the nightclubs as a non-guest acting up, but i did speak to the front desk on a number of occasions about the noise, and, the antics just went on night after night.
This was a shame, because we had a very comfortable room and if it had been quieter, we would have had a very relaxing stay.

Again, i appreciate, there is only so much the staff can do about noisy guests, and i don't know what the solution would have been, other than have each corridor manned to check that only guests who are in those rooms are using it. Maybe they need to close the nightclub or bars earlier to stop people from making their ways to their rooms at ridiculous hours of the morning? It was just a bit much to be going out to breakfast at 8am and finding a drunk girl lying outside your door crying. (on the sunday)

In summation, i really want to give the Best Western 4 stars, but with the noise issues and the lack of staffing at reception, it kind of left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth at the end

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
      Location

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights. Reception staff were very helpful throughout our stay. Our stay was good value as it included breakfast. At no time did we feel rushed to finish breakfast and all the staff were very helpful. The rooms were clean and tidy, and our stay was very comfortable though out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike M
James M, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank your for sharing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

We all hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again should your travels bring you to the area again.

Kind Regards

James Machin
Guest Relations Manager
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed 5 nights at this hotel with some of my associates from China and we all agree it was the best hotel by far on our 2 week UK trip. I cannot fault the hotel in any area, pleasent check in, clean comfortable rooms, great restaurant, fantastic breakfast and attentive staff throughout. I could not ask for anything more an excellent and memorable stay for the right reasons.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for three nights on 22nd Feb '13 with hubby and three children on a lesiure break to visit Alton Towers. Cost was £209 incl breakfast so an amazing price to start with. Ideally located for local supermarkets, restaurants, cinema (looked a bit run down) etc and about 30 mins from Alton Towers. Have to say room was amazing, spotlessly clean and best we have ever stayed in. Staff were very friendly and offered exceptional customer service, including supplying a birthday cake slice and candle to our son at breakfast on his birthday. He was amazed! The manager of this hotel can be very pleased with his staff. Only down side, was changing area in pool (tiny) area was filthy, old coffee cups lying around, towels on floor etc but this wasn't enough to spoil our trip as everything else was so great.

Room Tip: Matthews suite was gorgeous!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

A family of 5 which consisted of 3 boys excited about half term and going to Alton Towers . on arrival at the hotel I had only booked 2 children on my booking form
my mistake , there was no problem at all that couldn't be sorted Room service had another bed made up ASAP . Our room was very spacious with a partition wall for mum & dad to have some privacy . 2 TVs in the room great no arguing over TV channels .
Plenty of clean towels and our towel display impressed the children . plenty of wifi codes for the children's gadgets . peace ! we ate and drunk in the bar for our 2 night stay and was pleased with both .
Breakfast was included and was well stocked and fresh . Our breakfast manageress and staff were very friendly and interested in our stay nothing was a bother and even baked us some fresh rolls near the end of breakfast .
Every thing was great just next time I go I won't choose February for Alton Towers it was freezing .

• Stayed February 2013
surreybased
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The title sums up our stay here. Hotel was ok nothing special. Breakfast was poor quality. Evening meal was good.
A little expensive for what it is but very busy for a cold night in feb.
would return for a quick stop over

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMstoke, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for the review I'm sorry you found us to be just ok.

So I can discuss improvements with the team I'd be really grateful if you could email me a bit more information for example what made us just ok and what improvements could be made to breakfast my email address is gm.stoke@qmh-hotels.com.
I'm really pleased you found dinner to good.

Thanks again look forward to hearing from you soon

Clare
bury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed over as a family of 3 (7 year old child) for 2 night and overall it was itwas a very good Hotel I would definitely go back again in future. it is ideally situated for Alton Towers and for families with younger children, it is very well situated with a retail park nearby hosting all the usual child friendly chain restaurants and with a toby carvery on the canal side within easy walking distance.
The staff, especially in reception, were very helpful and friendly and we found that also to be the case elsewhere (swimming pool; restaurant etc.)
We had the breakfast included in the price and I couldn't fault it, plenty of choice and replenished all morning.
We ate in the restaurant on the 1st evening and that would be my only criticism. There were only about 4 or 5 covers in and it was very slow and not the greatest quality. It isn't cheap (relatively speaking) and the quality of the food was not what I would expect in a hotel restaurant. I have had 2 for tenner meals, for want of a better phrase, in pubs that showed greater culinery skill.
As said though, we will go back again, the positives far outweigh the slight negative - I am just reviewing honestly as I found it.
Good location, good facilities, good staff :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel? Share your experiences!