“Fantastic hen party experience & the place for a quirky wedding guest 'book'!”

Emma Bridgewater Factory
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Stoke-on-Trent
More attraction details
Owner description: The Emma Bridgewater factory lies in the heart of the historic Stoke Potteries region, in a sunny Victorian factory on the banks of the Caldon Canal. Join us on a factory tour, try your hand at decorating a piece of your very own unique pottery, relax for lunch in our beautiful kitchen, or enjoy an afternoon in the garden behind the factory. We’ve got a gorgeous factory shop, full of your favourite pieces and a lovely gift shop selling our newest designs. The factory opens its doors for guided tours every Monday to Friday. Visit our website to make on-line bookings and for the latest event information (booking recommended).
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Having visited The Emma Bridgewater factory on numerous occasions (including the tour which is very interesting) I enquired whether it would be possible to have my hen party there, as I wanted to do something creative which would appeal to all ages. My lovely maid of honour booked 22 of us in on a Saturday in February, and all staff were very accommodating to our needs. We paid £20 each which included the decoration of a mug, plate or bowl, studio fee and a lunch, which we all felt was excellent value for money. There was plenty of space for us in the decorating studio, and once we'd all finished decorating we headed over to the cafe where piles of sandwiches and cake were waiting for us, along with pots of tea and coffee, all served in lovely EB pottery. We could even bring our own Prosecco! As the 'hen' I was also given a lovely gift of a mug and bowl in her well-known heart print pattern. It was planned to perfection and I can't thank the staff enough for such a lovely day.

All decorated and fired items were available for collection several weeks later apart from one, and once we realised one was missing from the group we contacted EB and it was sent straight to us in the post, which we were happy with.

Whilst there I also bought a un-fired jug (£59 I think) which I planned to use as a quirky guest book at our wedding reception. We were provided with special pencils and rubbers for our guests to sign their names with, then after the wedding we took it to have it fired! A member of staff in the decorating studio painted our names and the date of the wedding around the rim, which looks just beautiful, and my mum noticed that she put a lot of effort into rubbing off smudges for us, which was very thoughtful of her. We now have a very special yet functional reminder of our day. The only negative thing I have to say is that when the jug was collected by my mum, the lady at the front desk of the decorating studio was quite off-hand with her as she didn't have any paperwork to accompany our jug. Another lady there who knew all about it was lovely and immediately said that she'd seen the jug and thought it was lovely, but the first lady she saw was just rude for no reason. It won't put either of us going again, I just think it's a shame when a lovely team of hardworking people are let down by the poor customer service of an individual.

EmmaBridgewater, Manager at Emma Bridgewater Factory, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Wow thank you for lovely comments, we appreciate your detailed feedback. So glad you enjoyed your experience and that you came away with something special to keep from it. Apologies for the slight hiccup when collecting your jug, but your feedback will be passed on.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Had a great day out with my mum, husband and 2 young nieces.
We did the tour which was very interesting and after seeing the episode on restoration man really wanted to see for myself.
After moving to Scotland 3 years ago it's great to get back and really appreciate our heritage. Thanks to all the team today especially Julie who did a great tour.
Shop is great too get some real bargains in seconds shop.

Thank you for your positive review, I'm glad you found the Factory Tour interesting. Your lovely comments will be passed on to Julie.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had already been to the Emma Bridgewater factory a few times in the past, to buy bits from the seconds shop, eat in the cafe, and paint items in the painting studio, (which have all been wonderful on each and every occasion) but this was the first time I had booked a proper 'experience' there. As my sister is a huge Emma Bridgewater fan I booked the birthday party package for a small group of us, as part of my sister's birthday celebrations, and I was just wowed by how wonderful it all was.

I can't sing the praises enough of the staff working in the painting studio, the shops and the cafe, who were each incredibly friendly and helpful, going out of their way to ensure we had a fantastic time.

At the moment this particular package is priced at £25.00 per person (and you must have a minimum of six people), with a £25.00 deposit to be paid at the time of booking. For this, a table in the painting studio is reserved for your party, which was all set up and ready for us when we arrived, and decorated with birthday balloons. A member of staff then gives a full demonstration to help you get started and each person can paint a cereal bowl, a medium sized plate or a half pint mug (normally £15.00). The studio fee of £2.95 per person is included in the package price, as is afternoon tea in the cafe and a present for the birthday person (my sister received a pink sampler half pint mug, beautifully gift wrapped).

We all had so much fun in the studio, choosing which pieces of pottery to paint (there are also a wide selection of extra items to paint, as well as the ones you get to paint in the party package), going through all of the different sponge shapes, and picking paint colours. The painting studio staff were extremely friendly and on hand to answer any of our questions. Practice pieces are available for you to test your technique on, before taking the plunge on your real piece of pottery. When our hour and a half slot was up/our afternoon tea was ready, someone from the cafe came to get us.

The cafe, which was just across the courtyard, had a large table, all set out and ready for us, with more food then any of us could eat (tea, coffee, chilled water, several varieties of sandwiches, red velvet cake, lemon cake, and scones with jam and cream). A member of our party had forgotten to request a vegan alternative, but the staff in the cafe instantly rustled up not just the nicest salad she had ever eaten, but also a dairy free chocolate cake for her.

After we had eaten as much as we could, we then all made our way to the seconds shop, which was fully stocked with beautiful pieces of Emma Bridgewater pottery. Some pieces were discontinued items, and some were pieces which simply were not up to their usual incredibly high standard (in most cases it was hard to spot what the issue with the pieces was!). Lots of bargains were bought before we headed home, all agreeing that we would come back again quite soon.

Apart from the short walk from the car park to the courtyard, everything is undercover, so even on a rainy day, the weather would not detract from you having a fantastic time at Emma Bridgewater. On this occasion, our party consisted of all adults, but I have taken my children in the past (5yrs and 2yrs) and have been impressed at how geared up the facilities were for young children. I would fully recommend this for any Emma Bridgewater fan/collector, or anyone looking for a day out with a bit of a difference.

Thank you for such a detailed and positive review, all your comments are very much appreciated and we are so glad your sister enjoyed her birthday and that the Experience Package lived up to your expectations.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Experienced Emma Bridgewater on a birthday package. It cost £25 per person for a group of 6 which includes a table set up for the birthday (balloons etc) a present for the birthday girl which was a mug, a choice of decorating a bowl, plate or mug and afternoon tea! It really is amazing value for money. As one of our friends could not make it, we had to pay £10 to cover the extra food in the afternoon tea. As it was a Sunday, we were pretty much the only people there, so it was nice and quiet and we got to spend as long as we like decorating our pieces. One of my friends piece turned out to have a crack in it and it was dealt with efficiently. We weren't charged for the bowl that was cracked and we had £10 knocked off so we didn't have to pay the extra cost in the end! They were so lovely! Afternoon tea was incredible. I forgot to mention before arrival that I have dietary requirements which meant I could not eat anything in afternoon tea. The staff were incredible and whipped me up the best salad I've ever had (not even joking) and a dairy free muffin for no extra charge. The shops on site are so pretty! The painting experience was a lot more fun that I thought it would be and I can't wait to go back and paint some more pieces!!

Thank you for your great review, glad the Birthday Package lived up to your expectations. All your feed back is very much appreciated and your lovely comments will be passed on.
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The local travel news warned of traffic problems so I decided to delay my trip home and have a coffee at Emma Bridgewater's cafe. Greeted by friendly, helpful staff at the cafe. Excellent range of home-made cakes -the red velvet is particulary good but plumped for the cherry flan today! Good strong cup of filter coffee and cake served at my table. A chilly morning, so I sat in front of the Aga. What could be nicer? The new chickens have arrived and the garden looks lovely. Picked up a small wedding anniversary gift. Looking forward to the Stoke Literary Festival taking place at the factory from 20-22 June 2014 ( www.stokeliteraryfestival.org.uk ).

So glad you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for your lovely review.
Hope you enjoyed the Stoke Literary Festival! :)