“Too busy to be any good”

The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel
Ranked #17 of 256 Restaurants in Stafford
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our Brasserie offers dining in fabulous surroundings, nestled in the original and beautiful spaces of a 300 year old coaching inn. The Brasserie offers a seasonally changing, locally sourced A La Carte menu plus a set price week day Express Lunch and Beat the Clock menu. The weekend brings our Brunch Menu, a fixed price menu combining the best of breakfast with some more traditional fare.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Invited to join friends for a birthday celebration on the Steak Night. We were already well on the way to the second bottle of wine before the starter arrived. The bread and balsamic arriving simultaneously and being slipped in at the side. Ooops! We chose the shared starters, one fish, one oriental. The fish platter included Whitebait. Cooked!. UNFORTUNATELY ONE OF THE UNCOOKED WHITEBAIT ESCAPED ON TO THE ORIENTAL PLATTER! Ooops! As I generally do not eat red meat I chose the veggie Wellington which arrived pale and only partly cooked in the centre of a circle of red stuff. I sent it back and asked for the Tuna which arrived on a mat of rocket with a few olives and a pile of anchovies. I could have re-soled my boots with the Tuna. I just felt that the place is too busy to take time with the preparation and service.
However, the staff who dealt with my quandry were caring, helpful and polite.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

During our stay at the Swan Hotel we ate breakfast daily at this establishment and had dinner twice.

The food is delicious. They have a very large menu with several options, from steak to fish and even pizza. The servers were very friendly and provided us high quality of service.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We visited for lunch on Friday. Just got served our lunch and the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated from the building. 20 mins wait outside was spent chatting to kitchen and bar staff, they are such a friendly team. When we were allowed back in we found out our main course was free as it was cold and could not be reheated, still tasted delicious. All added to a fun day out in Stafford.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was thrilled to find that The Swan is now doing a Vegetarian and Vegan night every Tuesday along side their normal menus. Stafford is not exactly renowned for its meat free options!! I have slowly been working my way through the menu - starters are particularly good - the Mezze plate and the Pine nut & Pistachio Scotch Egg being my favourites so far. Overall the 2 course meal with vegan wine deal for 2 is great value & long may it continue!!

A couple of gripes - the Stir Fried Asian vegetables were pretty dire - basically a plate full of red peppers & onions & no rice - what's that all about?? I really think this needs to be taken off the menu as it lets the whole side down. Also some nights the service has been a bit patchy, would love to see this a bit more consistent.

ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our Vegetarian and Vegan nights held every Tuesday at The Swan. I have taken your comments on board and to this end we have decided to tweak the menu. The menu goes live on Tuesday 9th April so I do hope that the changes are to your liking. Look forward to receiving your comments.

Chris Lewis

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were visiting Stafford after ten years and enjoyed lunch at the Swan. The food was excellent and so was the service. If you are happy with the location I.e. in the middle of town centre then we would definitely recommend this place. Very nice indeed.