“Great lunch - shame about the fire alarm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel

The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel
Ranked #9 of 234 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: Bar, European, British
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our Brasserie offers dining in fabulous surroundings, recently refurbished with stylish intimate booths, nestled in the original and beautiful spaces of the 300 year old coaching inn. The Brasserie menu offers a seasonally changing locally sourced menu plus a lunch and early evening menu. Sunday offers a traditional choice of fare with either individually priced or a set menu. The Bar serves a range of lighter bites plus traditional bar snacks, plus our popular coffee shop with its range of coffee and cakes plus our afternoon teas served in the brasserie
Staffs
“Great lunch - shame about the fire alarm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We visited for lunch on Friday. Just got served our lunch and the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated from the building. 20 mins wait outside was spent chatting to kitchen and bar staff, they are such a friendly team. When we were allowed back in we found out our main course was free as it was cold and could not be reheated, still tasted delicious. All added to a fun day out in Stafford.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was thrilled to find that The Swan is now doing a Vegetarian and Vegan night every Tuesday along side their normal menus. Stafford is not exactly renowned for its meat free options!! I have slowly been working my way through the menu - starters are particularly good - the Mezze plate and the Pine nut & Pistachio Scotch Egg being my favourites so far. Overall the 2 course meal with vegan wine deal for 2 is great value & long may it continue!!

A couple of gripes - the Stir Fried Asian vegetables were pretty dire - basically a plate full of red peppers & onions & no rice - what's that all about?? I really think this needs to be taken off the menu as it lets the whole side down. Also some nights the service has been a bit patchy, would love to see this a bit more consistent.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about our Vegetarian and Vegan nights held every Tuesday at The Swan. I have taken your comments on board and to this end we have decided to tweak the menu. The menu goes live on Tuesday 9th April so I do hope that the changes are to your liking. Look forward to receiving your comments.

Chris Lewis
London
“Good food and excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were visiting Stafford after ten years and enjoyed lunch at the Swan. The food was excellent and so was the service. If you are happy with the location I.e. in the middle of town centre then we would definitely recommend this place. Very nice indeed.

• Visited October 2012
Stafford
“The Search Begins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Braving the March snow, I went with a party of four to the Swan Brasserie for a birthday meal. The menu has something for everyone, and the food was mouth wateringly beautiful, a view shared by all. The service was everthing it should be from the moment you leave the bar and are shown to your table. The excellence of the wine list, shames many restaurants who see this as a secondary distraction and their customers as plonk drinkers. Not so in the Swan, there has obviously been thought put into what is on offer. My third sirloin steak served in a restaurant in 2013 was perfect, and I complimented the chef. My desert was the problem, I had the treacle sponge pudding with caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla icecream. It was devinely delicous, the sponge was firm and fresh, and the sauce served at the right thickness, neither gooey or watery. I can honestly say it was the best desert that I have ever experienced. I say experienced, because tasted does not do it justice. Now the search begins to find a better pudding.......

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Balanced view to 'disappointed'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I too was part of the party of 22 referred to in the review 'Disappointed' by marram1, and was surprised by the comments. Not having received any negative feedback on the day, I thought it only fair to understand the experience received from the whole group.

Firstly, the reviewer has omitted to mention that 4 of the party were 45mins late, and with four very small children who were getting restless, we had no option but to start the lunch without them. The Brasserie was very busy, and I guess with 22 meals booked at a specific time, this would throw out the very tight schedule the chef and his staff have to work to whilst considering the rest of the diners.

That said, nothing can excuse cold food being served, and I am unsure whether this was bought to the attention of the staff at the time.

I have personally spoken to the remaining members of the party, to get their honest view of the food and service;

Food - comments varied from acceptable, delicious, really good, and 'best steak I have had in along time'. No mention was made of food being served cold, being mediocre, or not being value for money.

Service - all agreed the service was very good, and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. On social occasions like this, I would expect a delay between courses which should give people the chance to socialise and not be rushed. Serving 16 adults and 5 small children in the circumstances outlined above is not going to be easy, and apart from the odd 'blip', no negative comments were made.

All have said they would return for a meal.

In summary, whilst not detracting from how marram1 felt about the experience, readers can make their own mind up based on the experience of the whole group.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Brasserie at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Many thanks for your balanced review to "Disappointed" review posted on 3rd March.

It is always interestiing from our perspective, and frustrating, to know that there are two sides to every situation. We always try to give 100% to all our customers and to achieve guest satisfaction so that we get repeat custom. The last thing we want are unhappy customers. However we are happy to take constructive criticism. We view Trip Advisor reviews from the view point that a reviewer actually wants us to get it right.

Needless to say we will work on the pointers given by "disappointed" but are reassured by your comments. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Chris Lewis