“Soup Kitchen”

Soup Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 241 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Soup Kitchen, at the top of Church Lane overlooking St Mary’s Church, has been run by the Sandy family for over thirty years. We pride ourselves on our freshly cooked food and are so flattered that folk keep coming back time and time again to visit us. When the weather is fine our roof top garden is always popular and it’s a great place to relax and let life pass you by. From Monday to Saturday we are open for breakfasts, morning coffees, lunches and afternoon teas. Everything is homemade and our team in the bake house work throughout the day turning out delicious pastries, cakes and other delicacies. We offer table and self-service.
Mainz, Germany
“Soup Kitchen”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Typical English, nice place to stay for a short break while walking around Stafford. Friendly stuff and good food

• Visited September 2013
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for coming to see us while you were over from Germany - I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit and thanks for adding two photographs.
Dank sehr viel - Duncan, owner.

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Cosy,welcoming and great food.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been here twice before along with friends and always found it to be warm,welcoming with lovely food at a reasonable price.I am planning another visit very soon.

• Visited December 2012
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks for writing about your visit to The Soup Kitchen last year - your kind comments are really appreciated.
Best wishes, Duncan Sandy - owner
Stafford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warm and welcoming with excellent food and service :-)”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a wonderful lunchtime treat today at the Soup Kitchen. A delightful restaurant with an excellent choice of good quality food and that traditional level of service which is so sadly lacking in a lot of restauarants these days. A warm welcome ensures you feel valued from the moment you step inside the entrance and the staff are so friendly and efficient. My friend and I had a lovely lunch......save room for the scrumptious puddings though. Pay a visit to the Soup Kitchen....you wont be disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks so much for leaving this very kind review and my sincere apologies for taking so long to respond to it. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us and thanks for these very kind comments about The Soup Kitchen and our service.
Best wishes, Duncan - owner,
UK
“Soup(er) Kitchen!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my wife, Jayne, my friend, Nick and his fiancée, Sarah. They're to be married in September so, as a special treat, I thought I would buy them a lovely luncheon. And so it was they we decamped to the Soup Kitchen on our way back from the Lake District where we had been for the previous 3 days, fell walking. We had toasted sandwiches and nick had chicken.

• Visited September 2013
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks for coming in to see us on the way back from the Lake District and I sincerley hope that Nick and Sarah had a great wedding. This 'souper' review is much appreciated.
Thanks again, Duncan - owner.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Left a bad taste in our mouths!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Really was looking forward to visiting this establishment after reading the reviews on here. We visited as two friends with our four children for afternoon cake & Tea. The children were made very welcome and given colouring pages to keep them occupied. All the children had their orders taken (choc fudge cake all around) by the friendly waitress or asked them if they wanted cream, ice cream etc.. Myself and friend both ordered cream teas and the waitress pointed out that although they were cream teas it was only the scones and jam/cream that were provided, 'tea' had to be ordered separately (which we were fine with and duly did). After circa ten minutes had passed a waitress returned to state that only wholemeal or Cherry scones were available, so my friend opted for the Apple pie with icecream. The children's arrived first - one by one they all complained it was horrible. I swapped with one for my cream tea and although edibly fine (certainly not great) it was nothing like a choc fuge cake we had ever known. The base was like a thickened layer of soggy cheesecake with a bland choc layer on top. It coagulated at the back of the throat and was just a sweet lump of goo akin to a Kellogg's elevenses cereal bar (for those of you that have tasted them). There was no sponge whatsoever. The cream tea was lovely and my friend said the apple pie was nice but 'nothing out of the ordinary'. With 4 helpings of unfinished 'choc fudge cake' on the table, when the bill arrived I checked it to see if we had been given the choc crunch by mistake, but it said in black and white 'choc fudge cake'. But, what surprised us more was that the bill was higher than anticipated and upon further checking, we found that we were charged for the icecream that came with the cakes and apple pie as extras. I queried the charge with the waitress and was told that any cream/icecream on the side was a separate charge and that it was stated at the bottom of the menu! We duly paid and left. Being too polite we never complained about the uneaten 'fudge cake' but were more angry than ever that after it not being eaten we felt we had been completely 'had'. We eat out regularly but have never, ever known any establishment to charge for the cream/icecream that accompanies a desert. I don't question that it may state it at the 'bottom of the menu' although we all failed to notice it, but when the friendly waitress offers the choice to the children, we felt that she should have said to us 'that's extra, is that ok?'. Although a friendly relaxed atmosphere, we noted that we were not asked if everything was ok despite there being nigh on 4 relatively full plates out of the 6 ordered. We did not eat mains here so cannot comment on those, although those we saw did look v nice. But our experience was not a good one. Tip to the owner - include the price of the side cream/icecream/custard in with the cake like most establishments not as a cheeky add on hidden at the bottom of the menu! 6 dissatisfied customers :-(

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank SDT_PST
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello there. Please accept my sincere apologies for the long delay in responding to this. I am sorry you all went away from here dissatisfied - that is the last thing we would want as our aim is that everyone leaves here happy. I take on board what you say and hope you may give us another chance - if you do venture in again please ask for me.
Thanks for taking the time to put down your comments.
Kind regards, Duncan Sandy - owner.