“Stayed as part of Alton Towers trip”

Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Stayed as part of Alton Towers trip”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Having travelled nearly an hour from Alton Towers to get to this place, we were surprised this hotel was highlighted in an Alton Towers package due to its distance from the park. The hotel itself was clean and the service was adequate. The rooms were very good value for money but it would have been nice to have some air con or at least a fan. The hotels food is terrible and little effort is put into it. The pub across the car park offers slightly better quality food. There isn't much to do in Stafford so I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
186377AndrewS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am glad you found your stay comfortable, I can understand the weather we have been having lately does make it difficult to sleep, however we do supply fans at reception should the rooms get too hot.
I’m sorry you didn’t find much to do in the surrounding area, at reception we have many brochures and leaflets – and the help of our staff to suggest enjoyable activities to do in, and around Stafford.
We hope you give us another try. Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed in the hotel July 20 one night room clean and basic . Did not get a good nights sleep as room extremely hot as no A/C this was a talking point of all guest next morning at breakfast as nobody could sleep due to the heat even with windows open
Breakfast was again basic scrambled egg sausage beans toast cereals self service did take time by staff to replenish breads for toast and hot items

Room Tip: We picked this hotel due to accesses to M6 and our onward journey
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry you found the room too hot, we do have fans at reception which are free of charge to have in your room. I understand we are not used to this hot weather we have been having recently. I hope you do chose to stay with us again and do not let this experience put you off.
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here recently as part of an Irish Ferries short break package to Alton Towers. Had we known what they were sending us to we would have booked everything separately and not included an hour here let alone three nights. Obviously our opinion is subjective and our experience is ours alone but we feel it warrants inclusion to ensure people considering this hotel have as much information as possible, good or bad, so that they may make an informed choice based on statistics rather than individual comments.

So, where to begin?

The heat in the hotel was actually painful. I have never been placed inside an industrial oven and slow-baked over an eight hour period though I imagine, having stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn Express, I have now come as close to being baked alive as I am ever likely to in the future. The room was so small I wouldn't even consider swinging a defenseless cat in it for I would surely cause it injury or death. The bathroom, actually we can't call it that because it didn't have a bath... the toilet was clean but the enamel or whatever coating is put on the shower tray was coming off and appeared to be tipex'd over as some measure of repair. Doubt it was tipex but it might help you to imagine the very obvious patchwork repair, like the work of a first-year student who has just realised you're allowed to use tipex in secondary school and sets about with zeal tipexing everything to within an inch of it's life.

The view of the skip two floors below caused alarm initially when we feared the smell of it would enter the room as we had to leave the window open but surprisingly it ended up just being an eyesore during our regular trips to the window when we were trying to get air.

The sofabed my poor child had to endure 'sleeping' on was in such poor condition you couldn't give it away on Donedeal.ie. She tossed and turned the whole night trying to get comfortable on what I consider to be more aptly named a torture device than a 'bed' with a wooden lath exposed where the three-part thin, hard mattress had sunken into the dark recesses of the filty, stained (questionable origin!) contraption. The second and third nights she slept with her head at the other end of it to avoid the lath but was then sleeping on a slant as the end of the torture device tilted upwards. Our bed was quite the opposite. Not hard, lets say... bouncy. Think bouncy castles at birthday parties only minus the happy, carefree, humans having fun and instead imagine the bouncy castle is in the middle of the Sahara desert, slowly deflating as you and another struggle to breathe, while it sucks you into the void created by your own weight and devours you.

Obviously we survived to breakfast time the next morning and consoled ourselves with thoughts of a nice breakfast and a day out. On approaching the breakfast counter I met our first bad experience of the 'Hunger Games', what we have since decided to rename our breakfast experience at the Holiday Inn Express. The trays were dirty and wet, a half-hearted attempt to clean with a soaking wet cloth maybe? I discarded two plates and two forks before finding a clean one. The croissants where as dry as the toilet hand towels which where provided instead of napkins, the sausages could have been tied in knots without breaking the skin such was their elasticity, the orange juice was watered down, or at least appeared and tasted to be, so much so that it wouldn't look out of place in a urine sample container, you could have easily mistaken the bread provided beside the toaster to be toast already albeit without a toasted colour it was that hard, The tables were disgusting, smeared with butter, jam and god knows what else. We ate that which we felt would not kill us each morning but it was not easy or pleasurable to say the least.

The fights and shouting among the clientele of the pub opposite put the fear of God in our child and upset her. The chinese restaurant served lovely food and though we spent more time trying to explain what we wanted than actually eating, the service was very friendly and the atmosphere was nice.

We availed of the hotel snack menu the first night - novice mistake which we obviously only made once. I didn't order anything as I had sampled the 'food' at the pub opposite and was trying to erase the experience completely from my memory. My husband and daughter decided to order a pizza and chips. The topping on the pizza was burnt and crispy, the base was soggy and floppy. Did someone mistake a grill for an oven perhaps? The chips? Well, they were in the shape of chips so that's good I suppose.

The WIFI was charged at £5 per night for one device which, in the grand scheme of things, appears to be reasonable. That's if you can get it to work.

We have stayed at many hotels all displaying prominent signage relating to cars and property within being left at the owners risk, never have we seen a sign stating "thieves operate in this area..."

We felt the the hotel was understaffed with the receptionist, who was very polite and friendly, expected to be a jack-of-all-trades and for that reason we didn't complain - it was hardly her fault the room and food where so bad. We have decided against making a complaint to the hotel management having read other reviews here and seen the responses from management. They seem to have an answer for everything, it's never their fault. Well this review isn't to get a snappy reply from a manager making excuses. As I said at the start, it's to help other people make an informed decision. We know it's a budget hotel and we know they didn't advertise air-conditioning, gourmet food or egyptian cotton sheets but neither did they advertise, tiny sweat boxes, rubbery food, and prison-quality bedding so in the interests of transparency and fairness we have provided this review.

3 Thank SlightlyB
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear SlightlyB,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

It is unfortunate that your experience was not what you expected and that there were several factors that impacted your visit. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with the condition of your room and the disappointment our amenities have caused you. This is definitely not up to our standards as we always strive to deliver the highest level of service and provide the best accommodation possible. We deeply regret the poor experience you had during your stay.

It is our fullest intention to deliver exemplary service, as such, our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment and fulfill and meet our guests' needs. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously and your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades where possible. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Quay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night during the heatwave in July and as the Hotel has not got Air Conditioning the stay was unbearable. They have only got a few fans for guests which were already given out, as this was the second week of the heatwave you would have thought that they would have done something to make the situation more comfortable. The ice machine had also broken so you couldnt even use that to help you cool down. After I had complained the manager did explain to me that the hotel is due to be upgraded soon which should bring it up to the standard you would expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand. To make matters worse when we went for breakfast the next day the crockery and cutlery was also dirty and a lot of the normal items were not on display. I can't think of anything regarding this stay that would make we want to go back to this hotel, I have had better stay at much cheaper branded hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel until it is renovated.
1 Thank Orchard919
186377AndrewS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I know that we have already discussed your concerns around your stay by telephone and that we have rectified that with you.

As we have explained the hotel does not offer air conditioning the hotel was built in 1997. The retrospective investment to install air conditioning would not be viable vs how much sunshine we have in the current financial climate. We are upgrading our rooms at present so all are be redecorated and are having new beds and other amenities. We have also invested heavily in changing the WIFI provision in the hotel making this free to use for IHG rewards members.

It is true that we have fans we can give out to guests and i have purchased some more after your comments.

The ice machine did break down during your stay but we did get this rectified on the Monday Morning as we had to call an engineer from the supplying company into repair it. I appreciate this can be frustrating but the machine had only just had it six monthly service so we had taken all necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen. The team had even gone out of the hotel to get ice from the Pub opposite the hotel.

In regards to breakfast the comments from other members of the public during your stay were positive but again apologies if you did not feel the same, we have addressed this with the team on duty during your time with us
London
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was hugely disappointing. The room was far too hot, smelt damp, 2 out of three sockets didn't work and I couldn't get a mobile phone signal at all. I was eventually moved to a second room, where I got an intermittent signal, but the room was still small and hot. If you advertise for business customers, surely a mobile phone signal is not too much to expert from a modern hotel? I was told by the General Manager that this was normal for a 'rural' hotel, but I'm not sure how being next door to the M6 can be considered 'rural'!

The worst thing really, though, was the overall attitude of the General Manager. When I complained about the phone signal I was told 'we don't advertise a mobile phone signal'. It doesn't take much to calm down an irritated guest: a 'sorry' would have been a good start. Sometimes a little bit of empathy and the offer of a free drink makes a massive difference. I was left feeling hot, bothered, frustrated and very stressed.

Take my advice and go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DrRobertsLondon
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

When you discovered that you were having an issue with mobile phone signal you approached reception and asked for the General Manager, I was walking past at the time and stopped and introduced myself to you. You asked me for a refund as you could not get a signal in your room. I asked what network you were on and you told me that you was on o2. Which i am too. I use my phone all day every day at the hotel with no issues with signal to which i explained as i felt this was unusual. You then said you were on a different network to what you had originally told me.

I offered you a room move to a higher floor facing away from the motorway straight away and you said that you wanted a refund because of the signal. I am unable to give refunds becasue of a mobile phone signal and the hotel cannot control the signal in the area. You then told me that the plug sockets in the room were not working, as this was the first ,mention of this again i offered the room move so i could settle you into your room.

As I have explained we have fans available for use in the rooms we do not advertise that we have air conditioning. Stafford and the surrounding area is a rural location and telephone signal can in rural areas be a little less than in city centres. I know that the hotel is next to the M6 but we cannot guarantee a phone signal from this. We cannot control the strength of the signal in the hotel as you can imagine we have lots of customers who sty with us and this is truly the first time we have received this as a negative comment.

I know that my colleague called you after we had room moved you and you said that you could get a signal and that the room was ok and the plug sockets were working in the room we had transferred you to.
scotland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked into this hotel on 27th June en route to France, and on the return leg to Scotland on 14th July.
Recommended by a friend as we had planned in staying at a rival hotel, but the inclusion of breakfast was too good to miss.
We required 2 rooms, one to have wheelchair access. The rooms were stylish and comfortable, and supplied with tea & coffee facilities.
And a note for Carers - we did not realise when we booked that our room was totally free ( we did not even pay for breakfast)!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the hotel on this website and that of our own website. I am so pleased that we were able to look after you so well and as said on our website I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
UK
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel has become a regular stop over for us on our way from home (Northumberland) to the south or the other way round. It is well situated at J 13 of the M6 and about 3 miles out from the nice town of Stafford.
The hotel ticks all the boxes. Its clean, comfortable, quiet even with a motorway close by and has plenty of parking. I have always slept well there so that must say something.
The breakfast which is included is quite good although I am not a great breakfast fan.
The only thing I would like is that the staff smile a little more.

Room Tip: Rooms on the car park side are the quietist
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
186377AndrewS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you are finding the hotel a great place to stop off. We aim to please and I am very pleased that we have been able to make your stay a good one and on a regular basis.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.