“Not what you would expect at a Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
New Quay, United Kingdom
“Not what you would expect at a Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night during the heatwave in July and as the Hotel has not got Air Conditioning the stay was unbearable. They have only got a few fans for guests which were already given out, as this was the second week of the heatwave you would have thought that they would have done something to make the situation more comfortable. The ice machine had also broken so you couldnt even use that to help you cool down. After I had complained the manager did explain to me that the hotel is due to be upgraded soon which should bring it up to the standard you would expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand. To make matters worse when we went for breakfast the next day the crockery and cutlery was also dirty and a lot of the normal items were not on display. I can't think of anything regarding this stay that would make we want to go back to this hotel, I have had better stay at much cheaper branded hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel until it is renovated.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Orchard919
186377AndrewS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I know that we have already discussed your concerns around your stay by telephone and that we have rectified that with you.

As we have explained the hotel does not offer air conditioning the hotel was built in 1997. The retrospective investment to install air conditioning would not be viable vs how much sunshine we have in the current financial climate. We are upgrading our rooms at present so all are be redecorated and are having new beds and other amenities. We have also invested heavily in changing the WIFI provision in the hotel making this free to use for IHG rewards members.

It is true that we have fans we can give out to guests and i have purchased some more after your comments.

The ice machine did break down during your stay but we did get this rectified on the Monday Morning as we had to call an engineer from the supplying company into repair it. I appreciate this can be frustrating but the machine had only just had it six monthly service so we had taken all necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen. The team had even gone out of the hotel to get ice from the Pub opposite the hotel.

In regards to breakfast the comments from other members of the public during your stay were positive but again apologies if you did not feel the same, we have addressed this with the team on duty during your time with us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
London
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was hugely disappointing. The room was far too hot, smelt damp, 2 out of three sockets didn't work and I couldn't get a mobile phone signal at all. I was eventually moved to a second room, where I got an intermittent signal, but the room was still small and hot. If you advertise for business customers, surely a mobile phone signal is not too much to expert from a modern hotel? I was told by the General Manager that this was normal for a 'rural' hotel, but I'm not sure how being next door to the M6 can be considered 'rural'!

The worst thing really, though, was the overall attitude of the General Manager. When I complained about the phone signal I was told 'we don't advertise a mobile phone signal'. It doesn't take much to calm down an irritated guest: a 'sorry' would have been a good start. Sometimes a little bit of empathy and the offer of a free drink makes a massive difference. I was left feeling hot, bothered, frustrated and very stressed.

Take my advice and go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DrRobertsLondon
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

When you discovered that you were having an issue with mobile phone signal you approached reception and asked for the General Manager, I was walking past at the time and stopped and introduced myself to you. You asked me for a refund as you could not get a signal in your room. I asked what network you were on and you told me that you was on o2. Which i am too. I use my phone all day every day at the hotel with no issues with signal to which i explained as i felt this was unusual. You then said you were on a different network to what you had originally told me.

I offered you a room move to a higher floor facing away from the motorway straight away and you said that you wanted a refund because of the signal. I am unable to give refunds becasue of a mobile phone signal and the hotel cannot control the signal in the area. You then told me that the plug sockets in the room were not working, as this was the first ,mention of this again i offered the room move so i could settle you into your room.

As I have explained we have fans available for use in the rooms we do not advertise that we have air conditioning. Stafford and the surrounding area is a rural location and telephone signal can in rural areas be a little less than in city centres. I know that the hotel is next to the M6 but we cannot guarantee a phone signal from this. We cannot control the strength of the signal in the hotel as you can imagine we have lots of customers who sty with us and this is truly the first time we have received this as a negative comment.

I know that my colleague called you after we had room moved you and you said that you could get a signal and that the room was ok and the plug sockets were working in the room we had transferred you to.
scotland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked into this hotel on 27th June en route to France, and on the return leg to Scotland on 14th July.
Recommended by a friend as we had planned in staying at a rival hotel, but the inclusion of breakfast was too good to miss.
We required 2 rooms, one to have wheelchair access. The rooms were stylish and comfortable, and supplied with tea & coffee facilities.
And a note for Carers - we did not realise when we booked that our room was totally free ( we did not even pay for breakfast)!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the hotel on this website and that of our own website. I am so pleased that we were able to look after you so well and as said on our website I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
UK
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel has become a regular stop over for us on our way from home (Northumberland) to the south or the other way round. It is well situated at J 13 of the M6 and about 3 miles out from the nice town of Stafford.
The hotel ticks all the boxes. Its clean, comfortable, quiet even with a motorway close by and has plenty of parking. I have always slept well there so that must say something.
The breakfast which is included is quite good although I am not a great breakfast fan.
The only thing I would like is that the staff smile a little more.

Room Tip: Rooms on the car park side are the quietist
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
186377AndrewS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you are finding the hotel a great place to stop off. We aim to please and I am very pleased that we have been able to make your stay a good one and on a regular basis.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

For the money this hotel is ok. As soon as we walked into the room it smelled really musty and damp, which was a bit off putting. The bed was a decent size and comfortable, even though on first inspection it seemed really soft and bouncy. The dispenser soap was a bit on the thin and runny side but decent towels were supplied. Didn't seem any way to control the temperature in the room but fortunately the windows opened. Reasonable breakfast included in the price (inedible croissants) , so overall not a bad hotel for a budget hotel. Didn't sample the delights of the pub across the road although did use the voucher for the Mandarin restaurant across the car park (well worth the visit). Would stay again as its convenient off the motorway and not pretending to be anything it isn't.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment of all our bedrooms at the moment. We are redecorating the room and changing the beds in the rooms to improve the customer journey. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast I shall review your comments with the suppliers as the quality of the products is very important to you. I am glad you enjoyed the Chinese restaurant opposite the hotel but i do hope on your next visit you will try our new 24 hour snack menu.
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

A typical corporate experience. Very convenient for the motorway but at a cost of traffic noise. The do breakfast but its not very nice. Clean rooms and I found the staff to be most helpful. There is a pub just the other side of the car park and a Chinese Restaurant. The pub is beefeater style. The Chinese Restaurant is good with an interesting menu

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review after your recent stay. I am glad you found the hotel convenient for your journey. I am sorry that you appear to have not enjoyed your breakfast with us. I am interested to know what was wrong with the breakfast and where you think we could improve. Can you contact us direct so that we can discuss further?
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times due to work and have the staff always friendly and helpful.
The bar area is clean and tidy the breakfast in the morning is managed correctly and is always clean.
Rooms are of the normal spec for this type of hotel.
They is a pub just over the road if you need a drink at normal prices and the food is okay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are just being refurbished at the moment so you will see the difference on your next stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stafford
Best Western Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel
Days Inn Stafford
Days Inn Stafford
#3 of 5 in Stone
Travelodge Stafford M6

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13? Share your experiences!