The Swan Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Vine Hotel(Stafford)
View Hotel
The Moat House(Acton Trussell)
Weston Hall(Stafford)
View Hotel
Common Farm Motel(Great Haywood)
View Hotel
All reviewscoffee shophigh streetchurch bellscar parkmiddle of townlovely hotelfour postersunday morningthird floorsteak nightvisiting staffordweekend breakcentral locationsingle roomsat navfull englishbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have had very positive experiences at JL's sister hotel in Acton Trussel, outside Stafford. Spent two nights in Swan, working all day every day in an NHS Hospital. Room 210 has the 'benefit' of the kitchen fan sound, is a narrow room with a very uncomfortable single bed and an ironing board welcoming you when you open the door. When I complained about the lack of warm water in the shower I was offered an apology as if it was an optional extra and told that I would be upgraded 'next time'. I live 150 miles away and may never be in Stafford again. Food is generally very good but there is certainly not the excellent attention to detail, staff helpfulness and across the board professionalism found at The Moat House. I was offered an 'NHS' rate of less than 10% of the 'rack rate', which was still almost 20% more than the Holiday Inn Express on the edge of Stafford: large double rooms, well organised, friendly staff. Good idea to ride on one's reputation?

Room Tip: If a double room is not available, think twice before taking a single room. Or perhaps room 210 was just the bottom of the barrel where hot water is not deemed necessary. Or is that the special NHS staff room?
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

The Swan is the best place to stay when in Stafford. It's a lovely old building, well restored and very comfortable. The rooms are modern and well appointed. I had a great room with a sweeping bay window and a four poster bed. The only downside was that it was directly over the very popular restaurant.

Food at the Swan is very good. You have a choice of the restaurant or the more informal bar: both serve the same modern British menu.

With such a great place to stay, the only problem is availability: it's not always easy finding a room. But if you can, it's well worth it.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Great rooms, breakfast and all the bars in one area. You don't even need need to leave with a nice restaurant and live music all in the same building. my brother had his wedding reception there and the staff could not do enough for us

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We used the Swan this last weekend for a family party. Two dozen of us. The first thing to say is that the help from the hotel in planning the party was first class.

Three couples (including my wife and I) stayed overnight at the hotel. Our rooms were excellent, spacious and extremely well furnished. My wife had booked a standard room (knowing that we would spend minimal time in it) but we arrived at the hotel to find that they had upgraded us to a four poster room which we thought was a lovely little touch.

The night was excellent. The quality of the food was extremely high but the service was perhaps what made it so special - outstanding.in every respect. Every single member of the restaurant staff was extremely efficient, polite and friendly. Every request we made was handled quickly and happily.. Not one member of staff put a foot wrong all evening. The most critical and unforgiving of people (and I can be a bit that way at times) would have struggled to find anything to complain about.

The breakfast menu is one of the most comprehensive I have seen and the quality was, as expected, excellent.

Thanks to everyone at the Swan for a wonderful time

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've stayed at The Swan a couple of times, the first time I was in a small room on the third floor, this last time I was in a larger room on the first floor which was much nicer. Enjoy their special Steak Night, good value, and as for breakfast, outstanding - the main meals are made to order, and very satisfying.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business