“Staff was great, facilities.......not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
Birmingham, Alabama
“Staff was great, facilities.......not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were at The Swan for 8 nights, location was great. The staff did everything to make our stay comfortable and safe, we knew the staff by name before we left. Some things beyond the staffs control that made the stay "not perfect", our door lock; every day, and sometimes twice a day, I had to get a new key made to get in our room. I finally just got a new key when I came by the desk where I didn't have to use the steps again. Being there for an extended time, I had to use the "so called wireless internet"...If the survey was graded on this alone it would be a "2" at best. I let the staff know and they admitted........"it's terrible and I'm sorry". The restaurant and quality of the food was very good, which includes the breakfast. Overall our room was very nice and clean. TV, was fine, selection of channels.......very limited. Thank goodness for "Food Channel". I'm usually very clear on my reviews, sometimes they are not great, but if I would have read a review like this I would have ask for a good room for "wireless" signal at check in.

Room Tip: The band is very loud in some rooms, front of the hotel is best!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank smokeyjoe6856
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your long stay with us at The Swan Hotel.

I am pleased that our staff looked after you during your stay and sorry that some of our facilities did not live up to your expecatations.

Thanks for the comments about the TV - we offer Freeview flat screen TV's in all our rooms which have in excess of 60 channels - for most of our guests this normally seems adequate.

With regard to the Wi-fi - we have 5 Wi-fi spots throughout the whole building - we did have some problems with the service during your stay with us and I apologise for this.

Your room key issues - if your key is kept in your pocket next to your credit card or mobile phone it does unfortunately wipe the coding from the keys - I will make sure our reception team inform customers of this fact in the future.

With regard to the noise from the band - we only have live music at The Swan from May - September at least one a fortnight - the band finished playing at 11.30 pm - I am sorry if they disturbed you.

Chris Lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Swan for one night at the beginning of May, breaking our car journey between Scotland and the South East of England. This is our third overnight stay, and the Swan is consistently excellent. We had a beautiful bedroom (with a four poster bed) overlooking the front of the hotel which is a pedestrianised area so not noisy.

At breakfast the juices, fruit and cereal is presented buffet-style but the hot food is cooked to order which is so much nicer than having it all pre-cooked and kept under heat lamps. The breakfast staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annecatherine
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This must be my umpteenth review of the Swan. We checked in on a Wednesday for a birthday celebration. The room was excellent and the meal deal (steak night) was really good value and was of top quality. The serving staff were red hot in response and attention. As always the breakfast was sublime, again handled by superb staff.

Room Tip: Go for a traditional room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed for 2 weeks while on a business trip and I must say that for a small hotel, it is pretty good. The only complaint I had was that the single room is extremely small. Breakfast was great - a lot of choices and the dining room staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were always clean and the staff are very accomodating and helpful. Good wi-fi service too.

It is not exactly in the quietest of locations due to the constant ringing of the church bells but it didn't bother me much. Lots of restaurants around the hotel, lots of shops but no gym or pool services in the hotel.

I didn't get a chance to dine in the restaurant for lunch or dinner, but the dining room was always crowded, which was a good sign for the quality of food they provide.

I would definately recommend this hotel if you are in this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Swan Hotel in Stafford, England. I was with a group of 25 and the staff at the hotel did everything possible to accommodate us. They helped us with everything possible in order to make our stay comfortable.

This hotel has a delicious restaurant and a wonderful coffee shop.

I highly recommend this hotel to any person that is looking for a nice place in Stafford. The location is in the center of town, near all shopping, banks, supermarkets, restaurants, bars, clubs, and a 10 minute walk to the train.

Room Tip: High floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelwithCoco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

It has taken me a while to write this review, but we stayed in the early part of March and we had a great stay! The staff are excellent and friendly and the food is fantastic. Room was lovely and clean and tidy.

We would definately recommend this hotel,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cleater1984
Newcastle-under-lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Its worth visiting Stafford just o have lunch at the Swan Brasserie as the food and service are always first class. The staff are always extremely helpful and attentive and its no nice these days to go for a meal and be called Sir and Madam rather that guys! We have been coming to the Swan for several years and have never eaten a meal which has been less than perfect. Well done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple