“The mark of somewhere good is how it deals with things going wrong...”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a 1 night stay in a suite for our wedding anniversary and booked dinner in the restaurant in the evening.

The suite was absolutely lovely,4 poster bed very comfy, large bathroom, beautiful large window so light and airy. All in all a lovely room.

We arrived a little early and were happy to go for a walkabout before checking in but were told our room was ready which was great.

So what went wrong?? We went for dinner and ordered our meal no problem, the wine and water arrived... A table of about 12 arrived about half an hour after us and then another couple were seated next to us. About 50 minutes after we sat down the other diners who'd arrived after us received their starters yet we saw no sign of ours... not overly hungry I thought it was odd but we were chatting and happy enough....However I did get a bit cheesed off when the couple next to us received their main course 1hr 15 minutes after we'd sat down and there was still no sign of anything for us...

We managed to call over a waitress and explained that we hadn't seen any sign of our food since sitting down and she looked slightly alarmed and went off to sort... the next thing we knew the lady who appeared to be in charge came over very flustered sincerely apologising and said our entire meal would now be 'on the house' !!! We had clearly been completely forgotten and what could have been a total disaster had been turned around by their generosity. To be honest I'd have been happy with a free drink .

I have generally found that it is easy for businesses to do things right but their true colours are shown when things go wrong so I give The Swan full marks for their gesture.

Incidentally, the evening meal was delicious and fully recommended (and we were again apologised to by a different staff member on our way out of the restaurant)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank milliemonkey
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor. I would like to apologise for the fact that you had such a long wait for your food when you visited us. I am very pleased that our staff managed to turn the situation around and turn what could have been a complaint into a good review on this site.

If all customers would complain as soon as a problem arose it would be so much easier for our staff to rectify the situation and make amends on the day in question.

I am glad that when you did eventually get your meal that it was delicious and that our staff looked after you well.

I am also pleased to see that you were happy with your bedroom as well and do hope that you will be making a return visit in the not too distant future.

Chris Lewis

There are newer reviews for The Swan Hotel

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Swan hotel is a nice small hotel in the Stafford town centre. People are pretty nice, breakfast also very good. We also had a diner there without any negative feelings. I can only recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

In the centre of the city. A modern tasteful hotel , with very friendly , helpful staff. Enjoyed our stay , food fresh and well cooked ! A real jewel in quite a run down city! Well worth checking out!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Perfect. This hotel hit every mark for exactly what I need in a hotel. Particularly impressed by the initial welcome, very polite and personable - staff all seem good humoured and interested. Also impressed by the phone call 10 minutes after taking the room to check that I was happy with the room. Evening meal of beer-battered fish and chips and chocolate moussey thing with choc-chip ice cream was excellent. I liked the touch of serving the fish and chips on a "newspaper" sheet - very clever. Breakfast was humongous, almost more than I could manage (and I'm a big bloke) and was top quality - the fried eggs were probably the best I'd had anywhere. Service in the restaurant and brasserie was efficient, unobtrusive and very polite. The bedroom was huge and the large double bed extremely comfortable so a good night's sleep was achieved. I will definitely stay at the Swan again.

Room Tip: Room 103 is huge and overlooks the street scene so quite entertaining at times.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Warwick M
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I checked in to the hotel, but the staff failed to tell me there was no hot water, I had to find this out for myself. The hotel should have contacted people beforehand as I would have sorted alternate accommodation. I was told it woul be fixed within half an hour. I waited, then I was told it would be another half an hour. By now I should have been showered and ready. Already now late to my meeting I had to have a shower and wash my hair in FREEZING cold water in the middle of winter. The whole purpose of my stay was to finish work early to chill out in the room and have a nice relaxing hot bath. Instead I was now late for my meeting,freezing cold and my Head actually throbbing from the ice cold water, and highly stressed. The staff didn't seem like it was an issue. No compensation was offered to me for my ruined stay I had to ask for it. They gave me just £15 which was pittance since my night was ruined.
I chose a breakfast in the morning to be told they had ran out.
The grout in the bathroom was mouldy. £105 a night was by no means warranties for this hotel. It is overpriced. I am still very unhappy I wasn't informed before that the hot water was broken.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sonya R
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay here at The Swan Hotel.

Unfortunately we don't plan for burst pipes in winter let alone the summer, unfortunately it was on our hot water supply and our in house maintenance team could not repair it immediately hence we had to call a plumber, what we imagined was going to be a 30 minute job ended up being closer to an hour and half on a Friday afternoon.

We did notify the guests who had checked in of the situation and apologise if you believe that we should have taken an alternative course of action, however hindsight is a wonderful thing.

With regards to the state of the bathroom - on inspection I can't find any of the reported mould, however in places possibly it isn't 100%. Needless to say this will now be rectified.

As you will see from the majority of our reviews our breakfast normally receives high praise and I apologise if on this occasion we fell short of your expectations.

Chris Lewis

Reviewed February 1, 2013

It is difficult to fault this hotel, and it is certainly my favourite in Stafford.
The staff are attentive, polite and always smartly attired.
The rooms vary in style, size etc throughout the hotel, but I have yet to find one that is worthy of any negative comment.
Food is excellently prepared and always very tasty. The hotel do 'theme' nights, e.g. Wednesday's are steak night (which includes a free bottle of wine between two) so it's worth asking when booking. Breakfast was superb, with very fast service of freshly cooked fayre.
The hotel bar is clean, a good size, comfortable and reasonably priced. There is plently of additional seating outside at the rear of the premises with infrared heating lamps for the winter months.
A complimentary car park can be found at the rear.
It's always easier to write long and critical negative comments when reviewing hotels etc, hence this review is short and to the point.
Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2013

There were a group of us from work. I'd made all the arrangements. The staff were very friendley and helpful prior to us going for the meal. Great communication via e-mail to the catering organisers. The bistro restaurant is lovely and clean. The food was great - hot and enough time left between courses. The service was excellent. We had a thoroughly good time and would not hesitate booking again. A couple of people didn't come and although the money hadn't been paid and we couldn't have the money back we could use it towards the cost of drinks, which was very considerate. The central location (right in the middle of town) makes this place easily accessible for a night out on the town afterwards. Altogether a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends