“Best in the City”

The Food Room
Ranked #50 of 155 Restaurants in Lichfield
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Fresh sandwiches, salads, homemade soups, paninis, afternoon teas, ploughman's platters and homemade cakes made from fresh quality locally sourced ingredients. Our sandwiches and salads are made to order just as you want them. We sever coffees, tea pig teas, hot chocolate, cool drinks, crisps and a range of cakes. You can eat in our small but perfectly formed old school building or you can have your lunch wrapped up to go if the sun is shining we have a quaint little courtyard with outdoor seating too. We offer corporate and event catering tailored to your needs, please enquire within the food room.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Best in the City”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I use the Food Room on a regular basis. The sandwiches and baguettes are always fresh and the fillings varied with a selection of wonderful ingredients.
Very clean premises and reasonable priced.
All the staff are extremely friendly and attentive. It’s great to support a small caring and thriving business.

• Visited January 2014

Stafford, United Kingdom
“turned away and not even busy”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Came to lichfield last saturday afternoon first time here and being a restaurant critic was keen to see what lichfield had to offer came across this small cafe thought it looked really interesting so decided to go in and have coffee and a cake there were 2 or 3 tables empty and as there are only 5 or 6 tables in total I would take this as not busy we sat down and I went to the counter to order I was asked if we were having food to which I replied we just wanted coffees and cakes I was then told they were only serving food and so wouldnt be able to serve us I was astounded that they were turning us away and extremely disappointed especially as there were empty tables when we questioned this the girl said I dont make the rules ! I did not see anything to inform people of this rule and will most certainly not be returning to this cafe and will advise friends and family to avoid

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank lisa f
“Don't understand the hype”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

The food room appears to be gaining quite the reputation on here, but I don't see it. Yes, you won't pay much which is never a negative and the staff are very friendly but the standard of food isn't very high at all. Also it is never very busy so it really struggles to create any atmosphere

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BettyB1967
Thefoodroom, Owner at The Food Room, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Betty B,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Food Room. It is always helpful to receive feed back from customers, be it positive or negative. In this case we're really sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at the Food Room.

Unfortunately, as your review was slightly vague and doesn't state when you visited us or what you ate I can't respond to your particular feed back about the standard of the food. All food is prepared and cooked in our kitchen freshly each day and we use fresh quality ingredients.

We serve sandwiches to take away and to eat in, so whilst on some occasions it may appear to be quiet in the shop it can be that our trade is mostly take aways. We do have background music on to try and provide an enjoyable atmosphere for all customers and also have a few quality magazines/books for customers to read whilst eating with us.

I'd welcome the chance to talk to you about your experience, and especially find out more about when you came in to the shop and what you ate. If you'd like to contact me my email address is orderlunch@thefoodroom.co.uk

Kind regards,

Jo (owner)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Decided to stop by n grab a quick sandwich and to be honest it's not great tiny hole in the wall with not much choice there's a lot better cafés/sandwich places to grab a quick bite from, shame as I'd heard good things

Thefoodroom, Owner at The Food Room, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello Raidthelarder,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Food Room. We appreciate all feed back - positive or negative. I was really sorry to read that after you'd heard good things about the Food Room that we'd failed to impress you when you'd decided to try us out.

Unfortunately, as I don't know when you visited us I can't investigate why there wasn't much choice.
It would be helpful if you'd could pop me an email at orderlunch@thefoodroom.co.uk with more information about your visit, so can correctly respond to your feedback in the hope that you'd think about giving us another try.

In terms of our shop, again I'm sorry that it failed to impress you. It is compact but has all the character and charm of an old grade II listed school building, but I appreciate old buildings may not be to everyones liking - but feel your description was a little harsh.

We are genuinely sorry that on your first visit here we didn't live up to what you'd expected and would love the opportunity to change this.

Kind regards,

Jo
Lichfield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and great atmosphere”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is a great location in the heart of Lichfield with fantastic fresh food daily. Loads of character, great staff and great food.....what more could you want.

• Visited November 2013