“Very disappointing!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
England
“Very disappointing!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We bought the Celebration Afternoon Tea vouchers for a friends' 70th birthday and were invited to accompany them for the celebration along with another couple. The small glass of champagne on arrival was nothing special and overpriced. It was a very warm afternoon and we were crowded into a very warm and full dining room. We ordered a selection of teas and and asked if they could be labelled, as we wished to sample the different flavours - this request was met with a grimace from the waitress! She did, however, tell us which tea it was as she put them on the table. Having enjoyed Oolong and Green teas in China it was unbelievable that these teas were made with a teabag which was left in the pot causing the tea to stew after a few minutes. When the food arrived I was lost for words - the 'delicate' sandwiches were more like doorstops with uninteresting fillings, the cakes were a small macaroon and chocolate cake plus a scone each and a strange tasting concoction in a glass. We had a small pot of cream and a small pot of jam between six. One of the party had to go searching for more cream as there was no requests to see if we required anything extra.
We first stayed and ate at Netherstowe House a few years ago and thought that it was trying for a Michelin Star as the food and service was excellent. We have bought gift vouchers for family and friends and have sung the praises of Netherstowe to others. However, this will be our last visit as apart from the experience being disappointing imagine how we felt when the recipient of our gift filled in a poor report on his questionaire. For £109.80 we expected much better!
Is Netherstowe House becoming greedy?

5 Thank Sue H
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. As a passionate leader of an organisation that has integrity at its heart, I felt compelled to personally reach out by calling your friend who made the booking and was pleased to have the opportunity to understand her first hand experience more thoroughly. I was reassured to learn that on this occasion she had in-fact “loved the food, especially the cakes and scones, and whilst some sandwiches were plain others were excellent”. I was also delighted that she is looking forward to a return visit in October. The report on the aforementioned questionnaire confirms this. I am however truly sorry that you were personally very disappointed, and that you felt unable to discuss this with us at the time. We will take your feedback on board and whilst our afternoon tea is extremely popular and much loved, I realise and sincerely regret that we did not create this wonderful memory for you when you visited us. At Netherstowe House our aim is to offer excellent products at reasonable prices to every guest, every time in a unique homely setting of sumptuous comfort, style and happiness. I am confident that our pricing is at the right price point but I am sorry that the 125ml flute of Laurent-Perrier Brut, Tours Sur Marne champagne was not to your taste. Our tea menu includes loose leaf options comprising Assam, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, English Breakfast and Lapsang Souchong whilst our speciality tea menu offers a variety of individually hand-tied flowering teas which bloom in boiling water to release an enriching taste. We are proud to serve a classic selection of finger sandwiches – smoked Scottish salmon and cream cheese / free-range egg and cress / cheese and chives / cucumber / ham – with freshly baked scone, Devonshire clotted cream and strawberry preserve. The assortment of afternoon tea cakes served to you was French macaroons, chocolate and coconut sponge and passion fruit cheesecake albeit these do change at Head Chefs discretion. Moving forward we will continue to offer affordable luxury whilst focusing on our core purpose ‘to make people happy’. Our traditional afternoon tea is charged at £16.95 and we do not believe in turning tables so they are reserved for our guests to enjoy for the entire service. Every table has fresh flowers, crisp white linen, fine china and gleaming silver. Please be assured that being complacent is the last thing on our minds and all the team sincerely hope that you will give us another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Derbyshire
“Good cooking but slightly disappointing steaks”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went for lunch at the weekend and ate in the brasserie downstairs. We had drinks in the lovely drawing room. It is like being in a small country house and the staff are achingly welcoming. First impressions are very good.

The downstairs dining room was cold when we arrived but it is fabulously decorated as a wartime basement. We had a nice table with candles. The seats were not the most comfortable but it was fine. Because we had a reasonably large group we were fine but the atmosphere could be a little lacking or even awkward without music or some other diners. The main dining room upstairs looked busy, light and welcoming.

The starters were mixed. The soup was OK - served piping hot. The black pudding was excellent but the goats cheese was missing something - it was fine but needed some thing to set it off.

We all had steak and I was slightly disappointed. The steaks are OK but not exceptional - I have had a lot tastier and they were either not cooked to request or they were delivered to table in the wrong order. Either way I was presented with a sirloin steak rather than rib-eye and a medium well done was medium at best. They were very well seasoned and the double fried chips were good. The advertised water cress salad didn't look like water-cress but was tasty. The onion ring side dish was very good. Overall the mains were OK but not exceptional and not particularly large portions. The sauces were OK but not great and quite small jugs were provided.

The dessert menu looked good. We shared an excellent cheese plate and a very good lemon tart with liquorice cream.

The wine list is very good and extensive with good quirky tasting notes.

We came away slightly disappointed but definitely thinking we'd like to come again and eat in the main restaurant on the strength of what we'd had. What we ate was expensive for what we had (around £50 per head with tip, drinks and wine). Portions are small.

Visited August 2013
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our dedicated Restaurant Team is passionate about cooking and serving seasonal soulful food presented with thoughtful care and consistency and we genuinely put a premium on, and take great joy from, our guests being truly nourished. Whilst I am delighted that you experienced good cooking and welcoming staff I am sincerely sorry that you were slightly disappointed with some imperfections of your food on this occasion. Our team will continue to work hard to evolve and enhance our services everyday and I hope that after your return visit to the Fine Dining restaurant I can l look forward to reading a glowing report about your experience.
Walsall
“Nothing is too much trouble!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife had been given a champagne afternoon tea as a 60th birthday present and I have to say we were extremely impressed with the overall experience. Not only the tea itself, but the attention from the car park was exceptional....the sight of the restaurant manager (Anna, I think) heading towards our car in the rain with two giant brollies was above and beyond the call! In our travels around the world to some top hotels, this was a first.
As to the tea itself, a memorable occasion, again the attention to detail was much appreciated with a satisfying selection of sandwiches, scones, mini cheesecakes flutes and gateaux. Service was friendly and attentive without being over fussy.
Having looked at the dinner menu and the cosy brasserie/steakhouse cellar we will soon be returning. A real find!

• Visited August 2013
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to welcome you both to Netherstowe House for champagne afternoon tea in celebration of your special occasion and the whole team were absolutely delighted to read that you had enjoyed an exceptional and memorable experience. Our core purpose is ‘to make people happy’ and we therefore only select naturally friendly team members who first and foremost smile freely, have the right attitude and genuinely want to help our guests. It is our ethos that we have invited every person who visits us, so he or she is our guest…a very important guest and we as hosts will do everything in our power to make our guests happy. We very much look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Netherstowe House soon for dinner and until then, very best wishes from Anna and the whole team.
LICHFIELD
“Great start to a birthday celebration”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We'd had afternoon tea here before and enjoyed it so we decided to try lunch and as it was approaching my 50th Birthday we thought it would start the occasion well (I like to stretch my birthdays out as long as possible!) We booked it over the phone and the friendly staff enquired if it was for a special occasion and was there any dietary requirements. On arrival we were met at our car and welcomed by name! and escorted into the lounge where champagne was brought for me and a non alcohlic cocktail for the hubby ( the designated driver!) The non alcoholic was devine my other half even said he didn't miss having an alcoholic drink it tasted so good!The starter was ham hock terrine with home made Piccalilli -we both had this and it was devine probably the best terrine we'd ever had firm but still meltingly soft meat with a sharp Piccalilli to finish - really wonderful. Then I had belly pork not normally my first choice but given how well they'd done the terrine I had to try the other pork dish and I'm really glad I did it came with the softest buttery mash and creamed cabbage a real triumph of a dish. My other half had the steak with fat chips and red wine sauce which he raved over. My pudding was a passion fruit brulee which I though would be the usual brulee with a layer of fruit somewhere but oh no it was much better than that it was a tangy lemon and vanilla brulee with a passion fruit puree serve on the side - it was heavenly , the cheese board which my husband had sent him into raptures with the amount and quality of the cheese he had- doubt he'll try any puddings when we go again he's a real cheese fan and this will be a big draw for him. The service was very attentive and I can't wait to go back- this will be a regular occurance if I get my way!

• Visited July 2013
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. More and more our guests perceive Netherstowe House as a place of complete indulgence, a unique retreat to celebrate a special occasion. At Netherstowe House we genuinely put a premium on, and take great joy from, our guests being truly nourished and experiencing sincere hospitality. Our dedicated Restaurant Team is passionate about serving flavoursome, classic dishes with a modern twist, freshly produced on site using the finest seasonal ingredients and every day Head Chef and his Kitchen Brigade seek to uncover the best local produce, and then to combine the best of what they have found to create something special for our guests to enjoy. The whole team were absolutely delighted that you chose Netherstowe House to celebrate your birthday and we all very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to warmly welcoming you back soon and until then, very best wishes from the whole team.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic afternoon tea ! Highly recommend”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Seven guests for a 60th afternoon tea party all left very happy people. From getting out of our cars to be met by staff welcoming us and thanking us for choosing to dine there, to the fantastic mad hatters tea party food ( other than the tasteless drink me bottle of ???) we found the hotel it's staff and the food a great quirky experience that is very hard to find nowadays. A wonderful time was had by all and I can't wait to go back with my wife and try out the steak restaurant in the celler it looks a great place to eat. Really pleased we found this wonderful place - it really is a hidden gem. A big thank you to all the staff who looked after us :)

• Visited August 2013
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to welcome you and all your guests for a fantastic Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea Party. Netherstowe House is a hotel and restaurant full of character and characters offering gracious hospitality that is individual to each and everyone of our guests. We believe this is a nice, human courtesy – a happy way to welcome people – so the whole team were absolutely delighted to read that a wonderful time was had by you and all your friends and family. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon for a meal in our Steakhouse Brasserie and until then very best wishes from the whole team.