“A gem”

St Mary’s in the Market Square
Ranked #8 of 28 things to do in Lichfield
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went in here to get out of the rain, and came out over an hour later because it was so interesting. The exhibition of modern tapestries is worth the visit alone. The rest of the exhibition is in a converted church and is so full of information and displays that we got lost twice!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Visited at the start of the summer holidays with my two children, aged 11 and 12. We are Lichfield folk, our routes in the City go back to before the 1800's and I am keen that the children are aware of where they come from, they haven't visited the Heritage Centre before, no reasons just didn't get around to it, so we went on a free day at the start of the holiday. Small fee for entry, this is paid in the gift shop which sells a variety of gifts, cards, books and other tourist type gifts, there is also a coffee shop.

The museum is located upstairs, although their is a lift is visitors are unable to use stairs. There was no one in the museum to check if you have paid, or not?

The museum hasn't changed that much since it first opened around 30 years ago, in fact some of the exhibits are still the same - the haunting images of Wightman being burned at the stake haven't changed and are still as haunting.

The museum was incredibly quiet on the day we visited, in fact I think we were the only people in there. It is very, very informative and the historical data and facts have been recorded with apparent accuracy, one of the new additions is photographs from local school children from the past, we were able to find my Mum on one picture, from around 1954, other than this exhibit I don't think my children would have enjoyed it if I had taken then any younger. There are very few, if any interactive learning exhibits similar to those that can found in other similar museums - there were some grubby dressing up clothes and headwear which I asked my children not to put on their heads, anyway at 11 and 12 they are no longer interested in dressing up. We watched the film about the siege of Lichfield (slightly changed in 30 years!) but even though they both love history it just didn't seem to hold their attention right until the very end, lots of figiting going on during this very factual film which is informative but not delivered in a way in which to grab one's attention, especially if your 11!

In short, really good, informative place but would not recommend for the very young at all - my Dad raves about the place and he's approaching 80 years - I think this says it all!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Gives an excellent tour d'horizon of local history from early History through to modern times. some fine silverware and lots of interesting militaria, including guns, uniforms that will appeal to those who like such things. But other varied local stuff as well. About 100 yards from the Dr Johnson Birthplace, you can also knock off both in the morning before taking in the Cathedral or Darwin House in the afternoon. You can also pay to go to the top of the Church Tower (the Museum is based in an attractive old Church) which affords fine views of the area for those who are not affected by the pangs of vertigo. Enjoy!

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was a complete history in an amazing structure. More than I could get through in a few hours.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

wonderful things, great little gift shop and lovely tea and cakes.