“Night out.”

The Cathedral Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Have had another lovely stay in this hotel,upgraded for £10 more with a bottle of champagne in our room which was very big and roomy with a sofa in it, staff are so friendly and helpful, breakfast is cooked beautiful, but there is also cereals, ham and cheeses, yogurts and fresh fruit for you to help yourself to, look forward to visiting again in the new year.

Room Tip: Busy road outside if you have a room at the front
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sue w

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Cathedral Lodge after attending a party for a family friend there. Run down exterior and interior throughout. The staff were friendly though and is a large space for a party just not for that extra special event. The buffet wasn't gourmet but filled a hole and the proximity into Lichfield City centre is ideal.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LichfieldLady_9
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Would definitely go back again. My friend and I had lovely welcome. We arrived late evening but nothing was to much trouble and cooked us a lovely meal. The room was very good and had wi fi which was invaluable to my friend,as she was over from Australia and keeping in touch with her family was important. It would be a good base for touring around the area. I would definitely go back again

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have been staying for long in hotel. one of the most thing i like about hotel is staff and their services. Staff was friendly and always ready to help. even they are taking care of small things of every guest.
i have never seen so friendly behaviour in any other hotel.
Breakfast was good and free wine on weekend breakfast :-).
Rooms are clean. bathrooms are spacious. Beds are very comfortable, atleast i had good sleep on everynight.
Free wifi and speed is excellent.
what morei expect from any hotel? atleast, i felt home away from home....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have been staying here for years. We travel to Lichfield to visit family and the Cathedral Lodge is always where we stay. The staff is always friendly and helpful, they almost recognise us now, even though it is six months between visits. Rooms are modest, but well appointed. Breakfasts are always a treat. Extremely good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tapper54
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Courteous staff but that is all. Shabby, tired hotel ready for a full refurbishment. Our room at the front was noisy, the window would not close, dirty shower curtain, no soap, shower did not work, only one light worked above the bed, whole room was tatty. We reported this to reception who apologised and said we should have told them about the shower and light when we arrived, but we did not use either until later that evening when it all seemed too much trouble. Surely the rooms should be checked BEFORE guests arrive? This hotel needs someone to take charge, give it a complete facelift and maintain the standard. We would never stay there again.

Room Tip: no idea as we only had access to our room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank june s
Reviewed September 11, 2012

In May 2012, my friends and I arranged a university reunion in Lichfield and independently booked rooms at the Cathedral Lodge Hotel for Saturday 8th September 2012. All seemed fine until two days before when we were contacted by the hotel to inform us that there was a problem with the rooms. The solution offered was to put us in the local Holiday Inn Express. The HI Express rooms would be £67 but the hotel would pay £7 to make up the extra cost.

At such short notice we didn't have much alternative but to accept, especially as this meant one of the group would have lost the cost of a rail ticket. I was last to be contacted but queried the suitability of the HI Express which I didn't believe to be equivalent to a 3 star hotel, particularly as the breakfast would not be full English (hot items = sausage, scrambled egg and baked beans only). I spoke to the receptionist who came back saying that was all that could be offered. I was not satisfied and felt that we should be offered better but wished to discuss it with the manager. I was then told the manager was unavailable. Not a problem, I gave my office telephone number and asked to be contacted the following day. The phone rang again a few minutes later and it was the "unavailable" manager.

What followed was a rant. He said he had done all that was required. I had no right to ask for anything more. He was contributing £7 for each guest. I tried to explain my position but each time he interrupted me, but when I asked if I could finish what I wanted to say I was told "Don't speak to me like a schoolboy!". I tried several times to state my case but each time I was interrrupted and the rant continued. The phone call ended with the manager cutting me off. At no time did I raise my voice, at no time did I use bad language. Left perplexed and not knowing what would happen next I had to phone back. I spoke to receptionist and she confirmed that I would have a room at the HI Express. I saw no point in trying to have any further discussion with the manager.

One thing I did find out later was that the hotel was contributing £15 towards the cost of taxis into and out of Lichfield. I was not told this at the time of the phone call by the receptionist or the hotel manager. However, for five people this would mean two taxis at a cost of £7.50 for a one way journey only. A return journey was the minimum but we had planned to go into Lichfield twice during our stay. The hotel was more than 2 miles out of Lichfield so it was not practical to walk. Overall we lost out on the deal and got a hotel of a lesser standard. Although the hotel may have lost money, we lost a lot more. I did find out that another booking had been moved to the HI Express so it wasn't that the hotel had moved our full group unnecessarily. I we hadn't moved another five bookings would have had to move.

Another thing to consider is that had we chosen to book the HI Express in May when we booked the Cathedral Lodge, we would have got a cheaper rate than the Cathedral Lodge was charging us. Possibly £47 a night.

Make your mind up whether this is a hotel you would wish to stay in. I have kept this report factual and honest telling you exactly what happened to me and my friends.

Perhaps the manager could have explained the difficulty of his situation. Perhaps we could have reached a better solution. Perhaps he truly could have done no more. I don't know but I never found out because it was a one way very aggressive phone call. However, I did not expect to have been treated in this manner by a hotel manager who should have more respect his customers. Or perhaps he didn't consider me to be a customer as I would not be staying in his hotel? I don't know.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank daithecrane
Lodgecathedral, Manager at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

An unfortunate situation that luckily doesn’t happen very often. We had two problems on the one day, work schedules often change and we have to accommodate guests that are unexpectedly staying longer than anticipated & also as discussed with yourself and the receptionist we had plumbing problems which meant we had to close off a couple of our rooms. This regrettably, means having to make tough decisions towards valid customers still to arrive and on this occasion we felt that we had no option but to approach a group booking. I appreciate the inconvenience caused to anyone that had made a reservation, four months previous into a hotel, looking forward to their stay to be told of this unfortunate occurrence.

We therefore did not take this decision without regret and remorse and felt that a group booking reuniting in Lichfield would be less disruptive than individual bookings and possibly lone travelers.

We go through every option first, not to disappoint future valuable guests and see if an alternative arrangement can be agreed. We appreciate that travel arrangements had possibly been made, which means that another date at a reduced price would not suffice and also the option of using twin rooms may not be suitable to everyone. The last resort is having to loose any booking.

I do understand the frustration this may of caused and therefore contributed the extra money towards any costs occurred. The taxi firm quoted us prices for a Five seater taxi to transport you all as a group in and out of Lichfield should you have being willing to let us book it for you, as explained in one of the initial telephone conversations from my reception manager. My unavailability was genuine as I contacted you on return from the airport as soon as the opportunity arose. I am sorry that you still felt angry with my response but the option of paying for all of your rooms at the other hotel was not a genuine solution for both parties involved.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
Travelodge Burton A38 Southbound
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to The Cathedral Hotel? Share your experiences!