“Food quite interesting but the surroundings lack flair and character.”
Review of 1709 the Brasserie

1709 the Brasserie
Ranked #10 of 163 Restaurants in Lichfield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

The service here is impeccable, the food is interesting, but the style and character of the building is neglected. Too stark to want to return.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Brasserie is on an old quirky building that immediately makes one feel at comfortable. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the staff are cheerful and attentive. However the real bonus is that the food is inventive and remarkable value.

My wife and I had the £6.90 lunch for two courses. Wow!

My starter of Herrings on toast with sweet tomato caper & chilli chutney was a culinary delight. My wife's Pancetta wrapped chicken liver parfait with granary toast & apple jelly was also enthusiastically welcomed.

My wife stayed with a starter as a main course choosing Potato rosti topped with black pudding & smoked bacon. She forewent the poached egg and mustard. I enjoyed the Spinach and potato cake with pine nut crust on rustic ratatoulle topped with sour cream and chive.

We both agreed that every dish was bursting with flavour and a joy to eat.

The good news does not end there. The wine list is more than adequate and based upon the the bottle of merlot we consumed very good value.

Young bloods with less than fat wallets this is a sure way to impress your girlfriend. Older bloods - it is up to you who you try to impress but wife or mistress they will love it!

1  Thank safarian
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We fancied trying somewhere new for lunch and after reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to give 1709 The Brasserie a go. We chose two courses off the fixed price lunch menu (£6.90). The food was delicious and beautifully presented and the waiters were friendly and attentive, resulting in a very enjoyable visit. We'll definitely return.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Have been here many times but this was the first Sunday lunch visit

As usual the service was excellent, efficient and friendly, the menu choice was good for the money....but time to sack the butcher I think....we had beef and to be totally honest it was almost inedible....the knife would not even cut it let alone could I actually use my teeth on it.....really no excuse for this it just should not happen

Poor cut of meat used and the chef should of checked what he was sending out

Bad experience but I would go back....maybe not on a Sunday

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We are regulars to the bistro as we are to the yorkshireman in Rugeley, another restuarant in the chain.
The food is fantastic always, as is the service.
Extremeley good value sometimes portions are a little on the small side but then so are the prices, so if your a big eater as is my other half order some side portions,
but for me there fine.