“Authentic Italian ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rugantino Restaurant

Rugantino Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pershore, England, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

What a lovely surprise to find an authentic Italian restaurant in the beautiful city of Wells.

Beautifully styled and decorated within with a lovely outdoor area overlooking the stunning cathedral.

The brothers have got a gem of a position and developed a superb experience. Service is not particularly quick but quick enough and attention and care is superb.

The advice on wines are spot on and the selection of pasta dishes are extensive. Also offering steaks and pizza too as well as a good selection of vegetarian all tastes are catered for. I didn't notice whether special diets were catered for like wheat free but I'm sure they would make all efforts to help, I would suggest a phone call for this.

The atmosphere and ambience is enchanting and intimate, perfect for couples and families alike.

The prices are average for this kind of restaurant not overly expensive but certainly not cheap either.

I highly recommend this restaurant that opens on Monday nights too. The brothers are attentive and professional as are the girls too, food is superb and hot. The pizza I had didn't have a soggy bottom and the meat balls my wife had were beautifully cooked as was the home made pasta, excellent.

If you like your Italian dining you have to try this one and even if you are not keen on Italian I think anybody should find something they like.

Recommended

Buckingham, United Kingdom
“A Relaxing Meal, Italian Style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

After a day enjoying the hot sunshine in Wells which included watching the BBC filming parts of the forthcoming 'Wolf Hall' production - my friend and I decided to treat ourselves to a decent evening meal and booked a table at the Rugantino Restaurant, which formed part of The Ancient Gate House Hotel and which lies amongst a street of pubs, restaurants and hotels in Sadler Street across the vast greensward opposite the front of the majestic Cathedral.

We decided upon an early 6.30pm sitting and we were glad we did as the place seemed popular and filled up rapidly from 7 o'clock with hotel residents and visitors alike. The restaurant is located on the ground floor offering a view out onto the street. With internal decking effect and use of soft colour paint finish the restaurant offered a pleasing environment and relaxed atmosphere.

Employing my knowledge of the few italian words and phrases that I know to the best of my limited ability, I was grateful for the presence of my mate who took up the reins as it were and could converse fluently thereafter in the language which, whilst unnecessary as everyone spoke English, did have it's uses. The menu, although simple, was interesting and we decided on a selection of breads with an olive and balsamic oil dip as our shared starter. And what a choice - the four types of bread were just wonderful and we felt good about being there. Our main courses were deceptively straightforward and we opted for a spicy sausage penne dish with a hint of fesh chilli and a fresh devon crab linguini both of which were freshly cooked and we found to be excellent. Although we had intended to pass on 'un dolce' we found our resistance to gentle persuasion was low and we shared an Italian cheeseboard and a semifreddo with hard fruit biscuit . A hot macchiato completed our italian dining experience and we considered the £63 bill,inclusive of service charge etc for t hree courses to be great value for money.

If I had any criticism I found the single men's toilet to be only adequate in terms of location (up a flight of stairs) and facilities but I expect there would have been access to another loo in the hotel if this had been asked for or required.

A place to be recommended and to which I shall be returning without any doubt.

Somerset, United Kingdom
“Nice food,good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although local have never ventured in,stuck to the High St. Happen to pass in the car and saw board on pavement advertising lunch £10.90 for 2courses,£13.90 for 3,free glass of wine.Was pleased to see we could sit at the back of restuarant outside looking at the green and cathedral! Nice surprise on a hot day.Service was good,pleasant food,the free wine not bad at all.A point maybe worth noting owners is you maybe would have attracted totally full tables from the back entrance if all the tables had brollies.The empty tables had no brollies.A would be customer attracted to the setting walked on by as no table spare with shade.Will come again,having tried food will sit inside if needs be! Thank you

wales
“We got lucky with our random pick of Wells restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Whilst staying at the White Hart Inn opposite this restaurant we had an afternoon drink in their garden looking out at the West face of Wells Cathedral and wondered if the food would be as good as the location. (I am sure most people, like us, have been seduced by the best-located restaurant in town only to be massively disappointed with the goods.) As I sat down, a sour-faced customer remarked to me that I would have an 'incredibly long wait for food, and it was not that good when it arrived'. We weren't planning to eat then, but since it was a Sunday we returned later for dinner and thought we would take the risk. We sat out with a drink and olives before coming in for our meal. We both chose pasta and I have to say the linguine carbonara is the finest I have tasted. It was clearly freshly cooked and not microwave-blasted.

The decor was cosy, yet elegant (and I particulary liked the grey furniture which another reviewer dispised - hey, it takes all sorts).

The service was excellent - prompt and professional. When we received the bill an 'optional 10% service' was added. We were more than happy to pay this, but were particularly impressed when the waiter asked if we had enjoyed our meal and 'which price would we prefer to pay'. I am very happy to recommend this restaurant.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Part of a perfect day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Staying with friends in Wookey we visited Wells on our last morning. On leaving the cathedral the six of us decided to have lunch at Rugantino (our friends had eaten there before). We sat outside in the glorious sunshine facing the magnificent cathedral. Service was quick and efficient - the food was outstanding for the price £10.90 each for two coureses including a glass of wine - the portions just right for lunchtime. We all chose a starter & main (no puds). A carafe of water was brought almost immediately and replenished when empty. On that day it could not have been more perfect and we set off for our four hour journey home feeling content with the world.Would love to visit again on our next trip to Somerset.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
whitehartwells, Front Office Manager at Rugantino Restaurant, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed the meal. There certainly is not a better setting to enjoy a relaxing meal when the sun is shining.