“Great food, great ambience, great service”
Review of Old Spot - CLOSED

Old Spot
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Essex
“Great food, great ambience, great service”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Not much I can say that adds to the above. I enjoyed it, oh yes the wine was great too! Really good to find a small business that is welcoming, has good food and helpful staff.

• Visited May 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality and great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

A true gem of a restaurant with an excellent chef at the helm. I enjoyed some excellent Salmon and the panna cotta was a lovely trembling mound of deliciousness!

Visited May 2014
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday night. It was fairly busy although there were free tables the whole time we were there. The service was very friendly and attentive but so fast we felt as if we were bring rushed through our meal.
The menu had a lot of tempting things and a good range. Prices were pretty standard for the quality and type of food. The wild garlic soup was very nice, although if I hadn't seen the name I don't think I could have identified the main ingredient. The roast rabbit was nicely done with well chosen accompaniments. The leek goats cheese and hazelnut tart was very nice although very rich and really could have done with something with it to cut the richness.
Overall I would recommend.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Good food, great location, poor service”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Old Spot is in a fantastic location next to the cathedral in the centre of Wells. The restaurant is pleasantly laid out inside with plenty of space.

The food was very nice - the menu was seasonal and obviously made the best of local produce. My wife and I both had rabbit which was excellent.

Despite the good points above, our experience here was very much let down by the service. Though the 2 front of house staff were nice and polite they were simply not as efficient as I would expect at this sort of restaurant. We ordered wine having looked at the menu and it then took another 20 mins for the food order to be taken. Unfortunately the wine we ordered was not forthcoming until I went and asked for it. This tardiness continued throughout the evening and was such that we are unlikely to return.

A real shame; the food and venue are worthy of 4 stars but the service drags it down to 2-3.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Jex_12
London, United Kingdom
“A surly "fawlty Towers " experience. Never again”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

This was an eagerly anticipated evening. We live in Wells and had saved this restaurant for a special evening with my son and his lady from London. None of us are strangers to excellent restaurants and we felt confident that this would deliver.
Steak was ordered and requested medium. " no" said the waiter " you can't have it like that, chef will only cook it rare" polite discussion was to no avail and apparently chef would not come and discuss it.
In the interests of a pleasant evening we ordered another dish and it was fine but my partners lamb was practically raw and cold. We gave up and the carnivores among us swapped dishes around the table.
Such was the surly service that we realised complaining would achieve little except a ruined evening.
After this extraordinary experience we asked several local friends, several of them restaurant euros if they had heard of this happening and it is, apparently, not unusual. They have reputation for taking inexpensive cuts of meat and only cooking their meat rare.
Many people love this place and I will take nothing away but it left a very bad feeling with us all. I would have liked the opportunity to discuss all of this with the chef but was refused.
A pity.