“Good old Old Spot”

Old Spot
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We love having lunch at The Old Spot. This was the fifteenth time since our first visit in September 2008, and we wish it could have been more often. The menu is always interesting and you can always find something to choose. The wine list fascinates. Disappointments are few. Chef Ian Bates cooks chicken so well - today I had poached chicken with bacon, broad beans and tarragon, and it was truly excellent. Not only that, but I had a glass of Chilean rose, and I wish I knew where to buy a bottle (or two). We'll be back again soon. Do try The Old Spot, you are bound to enjoy yourself.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Although we were disappointed by the lack of a starter or main based on the restaurant's namesake pork (Gloucester Old Spot), the restaurant is nonetheless a nice find, with good food, reasonably priced wine list and, at least in late spring evenings, a lovely view of the Cathedral at sunset.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been to the Old Spot twice, both times with my mother, and we have, without exception, really excellent meals. The interior of the restaurant is attractive, warm and very inviting. Our meals were expertly prepared and presented, and tasted absolutely delicious. On one occasion, I had the belly of pork, and this was simply the best pork and crackling I have every had. The wine list is good, varied, and not too over priced. Very memorable meals, and I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We visited with friends for a relaxed evening of good food and company. We had eaten here previously but only at lunch time. On arrival it was busy and we were pleased we had reserved a table. From the start the service was attentive but not 'in your face'. The menu was well balanced with about 5 choices of starters, mains and desserts. The wine menu was very good and reasonably priced given the standard of the restaurant.
The starters were very good, especially the asparagus with smoked salmon and soft egg. We all had different mains and we all agreed they were delicious and so couldn't resist having dessert. Again we were not disappointed. Overall a very pleasant evening, with good service and excellent food. We will definitely return for lunch or dinner.
Not to detract from the suburb food and quality of this restaurant my preference next time would be to sit in a different part of the restaurant. We were sat in the window seat at the front of the restaurant. A nice seat but unfortunately the extractor fan for the kitchen below vibrates through the seat. I understand some people don't mind it but I would prefer not to sit there again (although the waitress was extremely helpful and brought another chair so we could move around and this made it better for us). The view of the cathedral at the back of the restaurant is stunning so we will ask for a table at that end if possible to get a different experience of the atmosphere in the restaurant. We like The Old Spot!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We sat in the raised area at the back with a spectacular view of the cathedral.

My starter was braised leeks topped with anchovies and crumbled boiled egg with a dill sauce - absolutely delicious. My wife had parmesan, rocket and Parma ham salad; very plain, but nice flavour and fresh.

My main was a courgette, goat's cheese and lamb's lettuce tart - heavenly. My wife had pork rib-eye with a herb butter and some fantastic potato creation (I think the potato was boiled in a stock). I had a bite of her pork and it simply melted in my mouth.

Dessert comprised a cheesecake with strawberries and panacotta with praline and coffee syrup. Both top notch.

With a bottle of the South African Shiraz (wonderful), a glass of pino grigiot and a couple of coffees, the bill came to £62, which was very reasonable.

I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant and think the previous reviewer must have been in a different establishment to the one my wife and I were in. I only give 5 stars for excellent food, good service and premium value; this place provided all 3.

1  Thank ChairmanBill