“Fabulous Meal”

Old Spot
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been to the Old Spot twice, both times with my mother, and we have, without exception, really excellent meals. The interior of the restaurant is attractive, warm and very inviting. Our meals were expertly prepared and presented, and tasted absolutely delicious. On one occasion, I had the belly of pork, and this was simply the best pork and crackling I have every had. The wine list is good, varied, and not too over priced. Very memorable meals, and I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We visited with friends for a relaxed evening of good food and company. We had eaten here previously but only at lunch time. On arrival it was busy and we were pleased we had reserved a table. From the start the service was attentive but not 'in your face'. The menu was well balanced with about 5 choices of starters, mains and desserts. The wine menu was very good and reasonably priced given the standard of the restaurant.
The starters were very good, especially the asparagus with smoked salmon and soft egg. We all had different mains and we all agreed they were delicious and so couldn't resist having dessert. Again we were not disappointed. Overall a very pleasant evening, with good service and excellent food. We will definitely return for lunch or dinner.
Not to detract from the suburb food and quality of this restaurant my preference next time would be to sit in a different part of the restaurant. We were sat in the window seat at the front of the restaurant. A nice seat but unfortunately the extractor fan for the kitchen below vibrates through the seat. I understand some people don't mind it but I would prefer not to sit there again (although the waitress was extremely helpful and brought another chair so we could move around and this made it better for us). The view of the cathedral at the back of the restaurant is stunning so we will ask for a table at that end if possible to get a different experience of the atmosphere in the restaurant. We like The Old Spot!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We sat in the raised area at the back with a spectacular view of the cathedral.

My starter was braised leeks topped with anchovies and crumbled boiled egg with a dill sauce - absolutely delicious. My wife had parmesan, rocket and Parma ham salad; very plain, but nice flavour and fresh.

My main was a courgette, goat's cheese and lamb's lettuce tart - heavenly. My wife had pork rib-eye with a herb butter and some fantastic potato creation (I think the potato was boiled in a stock). I had a bite of her pork and it simply melted in my mouth.

Dessert comprised a cheesecake with strawberries and panacotta with praline and coffee syrup. Both top notch.

With a bottle of the South African Shiraz (wonderful), a glass of pino grigiot and a couple of coffees, the bill came to £62, which was very reasonable.

I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant and think the previous reviewer must have been in a different establishment to the one my wife and I were in. I only give 5 stars for excellent food, good service and premium value; this place provided all 3.

1  Thank ChairmanBill
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I'd been wandering around thinking about where to eat for dinner and whilst checking online at TRIP ADVISOR I found THE OLD SPOT. In walking the streets earlier the space had appealed to me and I did stop and read the menu. So it was no surprise that when I found it online it was my obvious choice for dinner.

I walked in on a Friday night without reservations and they squeezed me in. A central table in the middle of the room where I can see all that was going on. The tables were eclectic mix of various styles which allowed the old to flirt with the new in terms of the restaurants aesthetic.

THE MENU offered a good range of dishes without being too overwhelming. The wine lost was extensive and had so e excellent vintages .

MY DINNER consisted of the Asparagus Risotto which was hearty and tasty. Followed by the Roasted Chicken and summer vegetables and fished with the orange cake and pink grapefruit. That was an excellent choice as it possessed perfectly balanced flavor and complimented the meal.

THE PRICE for dinner was at the higher end of the scale at 45quid which included two glasses of Malbec

Overall, the service was very good, food nicely plated and full of flavor and the ambience was adequate .

The Old Spot get an 8/10 from me of restaurants in Wells

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Visited last night as we were staying across the road at the Swan. Had Artichoke to start which were dreadful sloshing around in some swill. Complained and it was taken away with no apology. Followed by Linguini with Pesto which again were over cooked stodgy and had nearly raw potato with it. When I complained I was told that this is the way it is served in Italy. I am Italian!!!. The colleague I was with who had a steak complained that his chips were RAW!!!.
On paying the bill I was asked if I wanted to leave a tip! I cant print my reply but needless to say I left none.
Don't go there unless you like raw potato.

4  Thank pubcritic192