“I HAVEN'T FELT SO BAD ABOUT A RESTAURANT FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Goodfellows

Goodfellows
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodfellows is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol
“I HAVEN'T FELT SO BAD ABOUT A RESTAURANT FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

My husband and I were in Wells for the morning and visited Goodfellows for lunch recently. We ordered the plate of English cheeses with home made organic spelt bread and walnut bread.

The waiter showed us to a table and gave us a menu. He did not even give us time to sit down before getting his pen and pad ready to take the order for food. We paused to look at the menu for a minute or so and he "tutted" and said he would come back if we couldn't make our minds up.

On arrival to our table, I couldn't believe how thin the bread was - in fact we couldn't understand how they managed to cut it that thin - it would not have been possible with even the best of bread knives. The only thing I can imagine they used was a supermarket ham slicer. The 4 portions of cheese were also extremely thin and very small in size. There wasn't even a portion of Cheddar cheese which suprised us no end as we are in the middle of the West Country - arguably one of the best Cheddar producing counties in the country.

With a soft drink each, the total for this minute portion of food was £18. We both felt thoroughly ripped off and paid the bill without even leaving a tip (this is the first time we have ever done this, despite being very keen foodies and restaurant visitors).

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A S

Wells, Somerset
“simply the best in Wells”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

It is certainly not the cheapest restaurant in Wells but, in my opinion, it is simply the best by a mile.

The fact it specialises in fish may put some people off but it really shouldn't. We had the tasting menu which was a delight. The waiter could not have been more helpful going the extra mile by overgearing us talk about my wifes birthday and bring her a small box of chocolates to her.

There is a choice of sitting downstairs and watching the food being prepared in a n open kitchen or sitting upstairs. I found the downstars much too warm to eb comfortable added to which there are th esmells from the kiychen countreing the the ssmells from the plate. I would suggest that on a hot day it may be too hot downstairs.

It has a very good selection of wines to suit all budgets and the waiter was very knowlegable.

A sign of a good restaurant for me is one which I can leave and say "I could not have cooked that at home." I certainly said that here.

For those who are looking for more of a meat based menu then theer is always Goodfellowes bistro next door.

1 Thank dacs
West Country
“The Outstanding Antidote to Gordon Ramsay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

I'm baffled by any negative comments about this exemplary restaurant. Having run a first class establishment with partners (Midsummer House in Cambridge), eaten widely in some sixty countries and presented the BBC Food & Drink programme for many years I can truly say that Goodfellow's is as good a small restaurant as any I've ever had the luck to stumble across. True, the decor is unflashy but the cooking, from conception to presentation, is magnificent and extraordinarily consistent. Adam Goodfellow, who won a Michelin Star at his last place, is a totally dedicated, inventive and gifted chef, refreshingly free of the tiresome ego-trumpeting of the TV brigade. A foodie friend of mine rates his cooking higher than Raymond Blanc's Manoir, at a fraction of the price, and I wholeheartedly agree with him. In my experience the service (though I haven't eaten in the cafe section) has invariably been professional, warm and welcoming. Goodfellow's is typical of a truth that has been too slow to emerge; that below the luxury level the UK has nothing to learn from the French.
Chris Kelly

1 Thank Grubbins
Somerset
“Pleasant room, shame about the attitude of the staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

A friend and I were hoping to have lunch and a good natter. She had eaten there before and so we went ,first for coffee and we planned to eat lunch later.
We took the table suggested at the rear of the attractive room and ordered coffee and mineral water. We talked and realised 10 minutes later that the drinks had not arrived. We mentioned this to a passing waiter who found the drinks left on the serving counter. There was no apology.
We were sitting near a door that the staff were using and kept leaving open so that we were in a cool draught. We kept closing it. The manageress then told us that it would be used frequently and we should move. Again this was saiod in a very brusque manner as though this was our fault.
We paid the bill and left. What should have a pleasant experience had been spoiled.
Jenny Allison

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BobcatSomerset
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Good value fixed-price meal but no warmth to the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

We enjoyed our £20 "2-courses with a glass of wine" special in the Café, and felt it pretty good value, but the service was rather distant, not exactly warm and welcoming. We certainly don't regret eating there but would try somewhere else before rushing back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles