“Local Gem”
Review of Goodfellows

Goodfellows
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodfellows is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 88 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The seafood restaurant has all the great reviews but I love joining girlfriends here for lunch in the French style cafe. It is a smallish portion but always delicious and well priced. In particular their patisserie is fantastic and unexpected in an English setting.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were staying in Wells recently, saw Goodfellows and decided to book for an evening meal. We booked for 6:30pm, which proved to be the right decision. We chose a table near the window, which was pleasant enough. The waiter brought the menus (but not the wine list, which I always think is strange as most people like to order a drink whilst they are waiting).
We ordered the food and I decided to have the 3 course Seafood fixed menu at £35, that included a small glass of house wine. I asked what the options were on the house red and was told I could have a choice of 2, which was fine. My wife ordered from the main menu. The starters arrived and were delicious. When the plates were cleared the bread arrived that was intended to accompany my starter!
The service got slower from then on. We really don't like American style fast service but there is a danger losing your appetite if you wait too long. A large party of ~11 people came in were given menus, but had to ask for the wine list. They ended up pouring their own wine and seemed to be waiting a long time, as were a couple who were on the £58 chef's menu. I think they were also losing their appetite. I only mention this as it all added to the general feeling of stress, that detracted from the food. The main course was delicious once it arrived. A major problem was that there seemed to be one waiter running the place and a new waiter (first night we believe), who was very pleasant, but understandably learning the ropes. There should have been at least two waiters plus the "new man".
Finally the bill came with my "included" glass of wine charged for, as well as £9 for biscuit and cheese that was also included in my £35 menu! There was a mumbling about "not realising I was having the house red" and the £9 was subtracted when I pointed out that the pudding my wife had was not on the bill. We finally left having really enjoyed the food, but feeling quite stressed for ourselves and some of the other customers. If they could get their act together with the serivce and match the skill of the kitchen, it wouldbe a great place to eat.

1  Thank Roger48England
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We booked this restaurant online and expected to have a reserved table when we arrived. There was no evidence that our reservation had been made. Fortunately there was a spare table as we had made an early reservation but had we been an hour later I am not sure we would have had a table.

The waiter who initially served us gave us a menu but didn’t ask whether we wanted a drink. He rushed off before we had time to ask him and so we had to wait until the return of the other waiter to take our order before we had a drink.

I had no previous experience of this restaurant and after this start I thought this might be a restaurant that focused on quantity rather than quality and so neither of us ordered a starter – mistake! I chose Hake and it was the best Hake I have ever eaten. My wife chose the pork. The belly pork and the black pudding were to die for but the pork loin was a little tough. The presentation of both dishes was up there with the very best Michelin starred restaurants. The tarte du jour was cherry and was also beautifully presented but the taste was even better.

The restaurant is quite small and unprepossessing.

The final annoyance was the bill. There is no a la carte option for the fish – it comes as part of a £35 three course menu. My wife’s pork cost £17, my two courses were £28. The a la carte price of the tarte du jour was £5.50 and I would have expected the fish to be a similar price to the pork.

To me food is the main part of assessing a restaurant and if it were just food I would have rated this as an outstanding restaurant but I cannot ignore the shortfalls in service so only 75/100 I am afraid.

1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed August 5, 2014

food quality, detail & care over presentation, relaxed ambiance - and a nice chat with Adam to round off a great evening

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Goodfellows is a great restaurant, I eat here regularly when meeting up with girlfriends for a light lunch and catch up gossip. The staff are excellent even when they are busy and the food has never disappointed. There aren't many places around here where you can get such a good quality meal and the Patisserie is delight and we always leave with a take out box! The restaurant is lovely for special occasions when you want to push the boat out.