“Excellent greeting,service and food”

The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub
Ranked #7 of 97 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We chose the Fountain Inn in Wells because we had visited it many years ago and had heard it had vastly improved.
This was true, we were greeted very cordially and very quickly shown a table although we had'nt reserved one.
The Service ,ambiance and food were excellent together with a good wine list.
The bar also serves local brewed Somerset beers.
A real find.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went for lunch with my daughter, very warm and friendly welcoming. Food was delicious and affordable. Staff were friendly and very attentive, even the owner came over to talk to us. Great place to eat and relax. Will be returning to sample more of the menu.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Unfortunately the service we received during Sunday lunch was extremely poor. We had a very long wait between courses, staff seemed disorganized and under pressure. At one stage the supervisor requested to clear our vegetables before our meal had arrived! We were unable to wait any longer for dessert and requested a "doggie bag" but were told this was not possible. Left with the feeling that the management were greedy. Booking tables but not enough experienced staff on duty, no explanation for delays or even apologies.

3  Thank 364Pat
Craig H, Owner at The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Greedy.... ?????? We can only apologise for the wait you incurred on Sunday,but we did tell everyone on arrival including your husband Nick that we had a wait because of two large parties. You requested "doggie bags " on desserts that are prepared in individual glass dishes, which was explained that it was impossible to take away. You both said that you had a school commitment and needed to leave,and that you would rather have a take away dessert. We are far from greedy, and our staff are well trained and committed to service,but are clearly Not perfect. For this and your wait I apologise.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Went to this pub on a recommendation the food was very good some influenced by the fact the owners came from South Africa.The chicken livers piripiri was special for a starter. the beef & ale pie was terrific, only critisism was my wife's pork loin had a lot of fat so I pointed this out to the staff but only an apology was forthcoming ,no offer of a price reduction. Other than that very good with an excellent wine list

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Came with my wife for dinner. Whilst it looks generally cosy, at the small table I was sitting at with my back to the door I was in a draught every time someone came or went. The pleasant, young waiting staff took our order fairly quickly. I had a pint of Doom Bar (a favourite) to start with and it wasn't that good. Didn't taste like it had been well kept. I had calamari to start. There weren't many of the rings and they had the consistency and taste of the sort of frozen calamari one gets from a supermarket. Sauce was nice and garlicy though. Had the rib eye which was fine and cooked rather more than I would have thought medium rare should be. Can't remember which sauce I had as it was totally unmemorable and could have been preprepared. Pricey at £17.95 for an 8oz steak round here. The highlight of the meal was the taste of the lovely rustic chips, which were delicious. My wife had the duck breast which came unexpectedly with couscous (not a favourite of hers) and a mountain of carrots. Neither couscous or carrots appeared on the menu. Can't remember what wine we had but I thought it was more expensive than it should have been for the qualty. In all, expensive for what was, I thought, very standard pub food.

4  Thank JuanAppleyard

We can only help you on the evening if you have any issues-please just ask we wont bite I promise! If your Doom-bar was not right we would have gladly replaced it and checked to see if there was any issue with the barrel. The menu clearly states Couscous with the duck, I cannot be held responsible for your wife's taste in food and not reading our menu clearly - please view on line to confirm. It is December, and with both a fire and dimple blow curtain above the door, we are making every effort to make our customers comfortable. If you had booked with us, which you didn't, you could have requested a table away from the door. I reserve comment on the pricing of our menu, as we have always had a good reputation of having a reasonably priced menu. Our wine selection was put together by a head Sommelier in London and is a good balance of well priced and excellent quality wines...sorry they are again not to your personal taste! We checked back on your table- Table 2, several times on Monday evening, and you and your wife confirmed you were happy, so how when you leave our establishment does it all change?