“Fantastic food, Great Ambiance and Lovely Service!”

The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub
Ranked #4 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I dined here one Saturday evening for our wedding anniversary. We are local and it was the first time we had been here since the owners had changed hands. Our expectations were high given other reviews and comments from friends who had dined here and they didn't disappoint!

The outside of the building has been repainted and resigned and gives it a nice fresh and welcoming feel. Inside the decor is just as warm and inviting with new paint and some beautiful individual touches - we loved the mirrors, lanterns and mix matched cushions and I thought the dress makers dummy in the female toilets was a lovely vintage touch. We dined upstairs and I have read a previous review which says the upstairs lacks some of the ambiance of the downstairs but we completely disagree, the atmosphere was buzzing.

We were greeted warmly on arrival and wished a happy anniversary and throughout the waiting staff (mostly high school aged girls) were polite and friendly. Now on to the food! We both had calamari to start, sea bass and vegetarian lasagne for mains followed by banoffee cheesecake and eton mess. The presentation of each dish was excellent, we especially liked the leaf platters that the calamari came on. The food itself was amazing and full of flavour, each and every course!

The cost, roughly £60 pounds for three courses each, a couple of alcoholic drinks each with dinner and tea and coffee at the end was very reasonable and comparable to other places in Wells.

It was a great way to celebrate our anniversary and we will definitely be back!

There are newer reviews for The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The Fountain in under new ownership and they have really upped the previously good standard to excellent. The food is brilliant - highly recommend the steak, fish & chips or lasagne. The Eton Mess is amazing. Really good and reasonably priced wine list. The new owner is an Interior Designer and the decor is lovely - very country without being twee. Make sure you book in advance!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We called in at the Fountain Inn on Saturday night, it looked very lively, with a good atmosphere and the customers seemed to be enjoying themselves so we booked a table for the following night.
The place was in chaos, apparently the waiting staff had not turned in, it had been busy at lunchtime apparently and they were running out of food. We were told to find our own table, not shown to one then had to wait ages to order a drink, some customers went downstairs to fetch their own. Starters when they eventually turned up were o.k but there was only one vegetarian main course option, a very skinny half an aubergine stuffed with what tasted like Paxo sage and onion stuffing with a few roasted new potatoes, my partner chose lamb which was very fatty.
We appreciate the fact that it had only been under new management for a week but that's no excuse for the bad experience we had. Praise for the very young waitress who had been called in at short notice, she did her best.

4  Thank Judith S
Craig H, Owner at The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Judith,
I am sorry about your dining experience in our pub. I was not aware of any problems regarding staff not turning up for work- and would appreciate the date of your visit for our records. The Aubergine I can assure you does not have anything remotely resembling a 'Paxo' mix and is made of fresh herbs,couscous and Feta cheese. The Lamb is supplied by a local farm -Priddy Farm, and is of the highest grade possible!
We re-opened on the 6th August and have had a few teething problems, that have been sorted out as they arose. We do a small limited menu on a Sunday evening (Roast dinner and one Vegetarian option), which is not a true reflection of our menu. Judging by our other positive reviews, this shows a true reflection that we have perfected our staffing issues and menu.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Working in Wells for two days and being a female on her own its always a nightmare on where to go to eat so you don't feel on the pull. So I took this recommendation from B&B landlady and my PC so I could work... and was pleasantly surprised. Quite adventurous food. Starter a bit hit or miss - aubergine could have been caramelised a little more but nice. And main course of sea bass with wilted greens and salad an unexpected delight from a pub. whole meal with glass of nice sauv blanc cost about £24. And i felt completely comfortable on my own in the environment which would never have happened in a restaurant;)

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I was part of a large party for lunch and although it was very busy and they were short of staff they looked after us well. We ordered a wide variety from the menu and all of us were very happy with the food. I was particularly impressed with the chips which were amongst the best I've ever tasted. There is a nice informal atmosphere in the pub with a very comfy couch in the centre of the cozy downstairs room. The staff are welcoming and friendly. It was a hot day and there was some traffic noise because the doors and windows were all open but it didn't interrupt conversation. We enjoyed our meal. Recommended