“Good local pub food”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Working in Wells for two days and being a female on her own its always a nightmare on where to go to eat so you don't feel on the pull. So I took this recommendation from B&B landlady and my PC so I could work... and was pleasantly surprised. Quite adventurous food. Starter a bit hit or miss - aubergine could have been caramelised a little more but nice. And main course of sea bass with wilted greens and salad an unexpected delight from a pub. whole meal with glass of nice sauv blanc cost about £24. And i felt completely comfortable on my own in the environment which would never have happened in a restaurant;)

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I was part of a large party for lunch and although it was very busy and they were short of staff they looked after us well. We ordered a wide variety from the menu and all of us were very happy with the food. I was particularly impressed with the chips which were amongst the best I've ever tasted. There is a nice informal atmosphere in the pub with a very comfy couch in the centre of the cozy downstairs room. The staff are welcoming and friendly. It was a hot day and there was some traffic noise because the doors and windows were all open but it didn't interrupt conversation. We enjoyed our meal. Recommended

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We hadn't been back to this pub for a while and learned that it was under new ownership. We dropped by for lunch and were warmly welcomed by the landlord. The menu was not fussy and offered a good, simple range of dishes. I opted for the fish and chips, with fish in a very fine batter, accompanied with mashed peas, 'rustic' chips (scrummy) and tartar sauce. Sadly, I had no room for pud and these, I have to say, looked very tempting. Next time! I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to try out this newly-refurbished pub. The setting is very pleasant and the staff very accommodating. I look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Recently refurbished and aiming to please, this is a good place to eat. There was a limited choice of menu on Monday but it was well balanced and tasty. The curry on Wednesday was also good value for money. Service was very pleasant and the manager wanted feedback. We liked the ambience of the place.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Amazing food , fantastic atmosphere and the friendliest most welcoming pub I have ever been to in England. This gem of a place is owned my a South African couple Craig and Tessa who are the most wonderful people and make you feel so at home. The décor is out of this world !!! I chose the Duck and Cous cous it was mouth watering. If anyone is in England you have to visit this beautiful town of Wells and eat at the Fountain Inn you will not be disappointed.