“Very Dissapointing, substandard and very badly cooked food!!”
Review of Anton's Bistrot

Anton's Bistrot
Ranked #22 of 87 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have been to Anton's in the past on several occasions and have great food with fabulous service.
We booked a table for 10 for some early dinner after work. The service was not good from the start, I ordered a drink and the waitress got distracted by other members of the group arriving and having to inform them that one of the dishes that had been preselected was not on the menu, where was my drink? Then trying to work out and get help to explain what the alternatives were, I had to ask for my drink again? incidentally when I ordered a second drink it was a completely different price than the first one, I did enquire about this but the reason made no sense.
All of the group had pre ordered two courses, my starter, the bread was rock hard and the leaves were bitter! My main course was risotto that was bland, dry and coagulated, if I had turned the dish upside down would have stuck to it! I daren't have a sweet after those courses however my friend did and had to send it back, it was suppose to be chocolate mousse but again this was dry and stuck to her teeth, this dessert was refunded. It was difficult to complain too much at the table as we didn't want to upset our friend who had gone to all the trouble of booking a night out for us and had organised the menu etc.
When we all went up to pay we were asked how was the meal and we all expressed our disappointment, no one had a decent meal, most of it was undercooked or very overcooked. we were told that it was probably teething problems due to a new chef, apart from the dessert, no money was refunded nor was anything complementary or no kind of compensation was offered.
We spent over £100 that evening on substandard and very badly cooked food!!
Would not recommend this restaurant it is a very far cry from what it used to be!!

1  Thank San_jim_12
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We did try to contact you to ascertain when you came to dine with us as we do not have any record of a table of ten complaining to us about their meal.
We are sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us and felt moved to post such a damning review here on Trip Advisor.
We do have a new head chef, but this is not a negative, far from it. We receive much positive feedback, sadly not always on Trip Advisor, from diners enjoying the exciting new and innovative menus he has introduced.
Our food is neither substandard - our chef sources the very best local, seasonal produce - nor is it badly cooked.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wells is such a wonderful city to shop in; there are so many non-chain shops and lots of different places to eat. I have eaten lunch at the Crown on several occasions and have always been reasonably satisfied.

Parking can be rather difficult, as one can only park for a maximum of an hour in front of the hotel or go to one of the public car park and then walk to the market square. I like the old pub style and the Coaching House feel of the place. Usually, the service there is fairly rapid, on the last occasion it was very slow, despite it would appear sufficient waiting staff. The staff were lively and friendly, but couldn’t compensate for the slow service from the kitchen

The menu gives a wide choice of dishes which are slightly different from the usual pub food fare. We started with the goats’ cheese toasts on a rocket, walnut and beetroot salad. Unfortunately, we then had a very long wait before our main courses of fish pie, spelt risotto and a chargrilled chicken with salad. The food was of a reasonable standard and I thoroughly enjoyed my vegetarian risotto. After another rather long wait, we actually had to ask for our desserts order to be taken. The crème brulee which was the choice of two of us had been taken off the menu, so we didn’t bother to order an alternative as we had become rather tired of waiting. The cost of our 2 courses for three people and drinks to start with, was £55. We didn’t consider this to be expensive considering the quality of the food.

We were not disappointed with the quality of the food in Anton’s Bistro, but felt that slightly over two hours to eat two courses was far from satisfactory.

1  Thank CindyAnn37
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are sorry you found service to be slow. We can only apologise and try to reassured you this is not the norm. We hope this will not deter you from coming back again.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Visited Antons Friday 15th March, we were staying in Wells with some friends for the weekend. We had a fantastic meal and Alan who looked after us was a star. we could not find a fault in any aspect of our evening. Would reccommend this restaurant highly.

CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your super review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your evening and, indeed, Alan is a star, we agree! Come back again soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had been to Antons on 2 previous occasions and had found the food great and the service brilliant, so we decided to go there to celebrate a family birthday, and we were expecting to enjoy ourselves again. How wrong can you be. It was obvious from the start that there were problems because the manager was speaking quite sharply to the waiting staff. We ordered our meals, 4 Sunday roasts at £9.50 according to the notice board which I pointed to when ordering. We then waited for an hour for our meal, in which time we were completely ignored by all the staff. 3 of the meals were cool and did not have any potatoes. When we complained a waitress placed a small dish of roast potatoes on the table and then hurriedly left. At the end of the meal I approached the manager and it was obvious she knew I was going to complain. She then proceeded to blame the poor service and poor quality of food on the new chef and his inability to cope with the workload, on her inexperienced waiting staff and on the volume of customers. Anything and anyone but herself actually. She eventually agreed to reduce the bill, but then that was ruined by the fact hat the food bill still came to £40 and not the £35 I expected. This apparently was also not her fault for not removing the advert for Sunday roasts on what looked like a specials board, but my fault for not realising that I should have taken the price from the menu. I was so disappointed because we had been telling everyone how nice this restaurant was. I will not be going back there again and will not recommend it. This will not matter to the restaurant or the manager, but if a few more people are treated this way, word will get around.

1  Thank Steve C

As you saw fit to post the same review three times on Trip Advisor, we shall respond acccordingly.
We apologise, once again, for your experience with us on Sunday. It was an unfortunate series of events and sadly we just didn’t get things right for you.
We would say, that our duty manager does speak in an assertive manner, not sharp. Of course she anticipated you would complain and she was obviously aware of what had happened.
She apologised to you on several occasions, refunded drinks and discounted your bill. She did not levy blame at anyone per se, was just trying to explain why things had gone wrong, on this occasion.
Yes, mistakes were made and the poster should not have been up, an oversight on our part.
You talk of the way in which people are treated. A member of your party started shouting at staff, ripped the poster from the board and threw it at a member of staff.
Anton’s is a lovely restaurant and it is a shame that you had this isolated experience.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went to this restaurant to celebrate a birthday. We had been here twice before and had thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the service was great, so we were expecting to have a good time. How wrong we were. It was obvious from the start that there was a problem because the manager seemed to be quite sharp with the waiting staff. We ordered our meal, 4 Sunday roasts, at £9.50 each according to the notice board in the restaurant which i pointed to when ordering. An hour later the meals arrived. Three of them were cool and there were no potatoes on the plates. We complained to the waitress and a small dish of roast potatoes were put on our table by a waitress who then hurriedly left. At the end of the meal I approached the manager and it was obvious she knew what I was going to say. She then blamed the problem on the amount of customers, the new chefs inability to cope with the work, and the inexperienced waiting staff. Anyone but herself really. Eventually she agreed to reduce the bill, but then that was ruined by the fact that that the bill came to £40 when I was expecting around £35. Of course according to this manager it was our fault that we got the price wrong and not hers for not removing the £9.50 advert on what looked like a specials board. I am sorry to say that due to the totally inept and unhelpful manager, we will not be returning to this restaurant. This may not affect the restaurant too much, but if a few other people are treated this way, the story may be different.

1  Thank Jane C
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013