“poor food and glum staff”
Review of Anton's Bistrot

Anton's Bistrot
Ranked #22 of 87 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Working nearby on a contract I thought I must visit the Crown (pub) and have a pub meal, (I had been stayed there some years ago and loved it). I asked for a pint of beer which was ok and a quarter-pounder cheeseburger. I was presented with a small burger with a giant solid slab of cold un-melted cheese perched on top, with a single piece of limp lettuce and a single slice of tomato, and cold chips. I asked the staff to please give me a ‘quarter pounder’ but not a ‘quarter pound of cheese’. Half heartedly and somewhat unwillingly the barman disappeared to the kitchen only to return with the cheese cut in half; but still thicker than the beefburger and still cold and not melted. I asked to see the duty manager where I explained the problem very calmly, who took down all my details and assured he would get back to me – three weeks later I am still waiting!! I cannot recommend advising anybody to eat there… loads more better eateries are in and around Wells.

1  Thank Neal_J_M
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

We're sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us and did not receive a satisfactory response to your comments at the time. This is not the norm and the glum member of staff is no longer working at The Crown.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

It was cold and raining our first evening in Wells and we spotted the warm glow through the windows of Anton's, which was a true indication of what we found inside. Friendly and smiling waitresses, a roaring fire, and good honest food at a reasonable price. A very pleasant evening.

HappyCamperSomerset, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Delighted you enjoyed your meal with us. Thank you for leaving us with a warm glow!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The special lunch menu was good value. We both had the tagliatelli with a side salad and it was delicious. The house wine was very good. My daughter had the chocolate brownie for dessert and said it was the best she had ever tasted. It was served with butterscotch sauce and icecream. The real fire was a welcome feature and added to the cosy atmosphere in the bistro.

HappyCamperSomerset, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. All great to hear and passed onto all those who work so hard to make it 'just so'. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Food is really bad
Sweet noodles yuck!!
Also learn your sauces
And learn how to cook a steak!!

HappyCamperSomerset, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

If you think the food is so awful, we're surprised you managed to eat as much as you did when you were here. You ate all of the steak and the stir fry, bar the noodles.
You did not flag up any concerns during check backs, waiting until the end of your meal and then voicing your opinion on Trip Advisor. You also left a tip.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime and were accommodated without a booking which was nice. The place wasn't that busy when we arrived but got busier as we ate. The man who showed us to our table was not at all polite and appear too busy with other people to care about explaining anything to us about the food, the wine on the table or water or anything actually! When he took our order I politely enquired if there was a vegetarian options for the roast dinner and all I received back was a patronising "No!" and a look that made me feel like it was a ridiculous and stupid question. This attitude continued with our side plates and bottle of wine being dumped on the end of the table without a word, for us to sort out ourselves! When the food arrived (finally) it was average tasting and some of the vegetables in my risotto were still raw (onion & courgette). The glasses, plates and table were all dirty with food residue or dust, there was not adiquate cutllery provided and throughout the meal no one checked back with us to see if we needed anything else or if everything was OK. This was my first visit to Wells and my first visit to Antons, I will return to Wells. It never to Antons!!

HappyCamperSomerset, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We can only apologise and wish you'd brought your concerns to our attention when you were here and we could have sought a resolution for you. We are sorry your experience at Anton's was not a positive one.