“great pub great food great staff”
Review of The Sheppey

The Sheppey
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Wells
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great pub with gastropub credentials, charcoal cooker from spain, very assured cooking with a twist, real ales, craft beers, local ciders, belgium beers, cocktails, great decor , artwork and drinks, it can also seat 100 people next to the river. sawday winner, good food guide, camra, and tweeted by Britney Spears(true) x3 lovely rooms and two cottages to let
Reviewed December 18, 2013

we visited this pub sunday 15th for a meal for a party of 12 all of which enjoyed the service the food and drink and the welcoming atmophere. the pub is full of nick nack stuff that is dotted all around the place which makes it quite unusual and interesting staff were very friendly and helpful.
As a bit of a pub lover i would rate this one at over 10 out of 10, also would like to thank mark for letting me have one of their O'Hara pint glasses to add to my collection of bar memorabilia shame we don't live nearer would definitely be a regular.
merry xmas and a happy new year to you all

regards john f

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I am a reasonably regular visitor to The Sheppey and keep coming back because the experience is always a good one. I never have a hesitation in recommending it to friends and family because I know they will be wowed with the location and amazed by the ambience , friendliness of the staff and of course the lovely food.
My visit on this occasion came after I heard a DJ on Glastonbury FM radio station advertise the fact that he hosted a night on the first Friday in the month at the Sheppey and it was called The Sheppey Soul Shack!!!! I decided to take my daughter, we had a lovely burger with triple cooked chips and the dj Ian was playing soul records whilst we ate.
The food and the atmosphere was great and after people had finished eating, the tables were moved aside near the stage area and people started dancing.
It was such fun and my daughter , myself and loads of other people danced for a couple of hours. The DJ Ian was really good , played some fantastic funk, soul and disco and was very enthusiastic to say the least. I went home exhausted and have vowed to return with more friends for the next Sheppey Soul Shack. What a brilliant evening......this pub just gets better and better

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Sheppey was an old country pub that has been modernised to give it a shabby chic appearance, with the old skittles incorporated into the paneling. It is located in the depths of the Somerset wetlands, the hospitality was good, the service good and the log fire warmed up a Winters evening. The Soul Music DJ was quirky, but he did extract good music from his vinyl collection. The food was good, definitely more up market than the usual country pub fare, but also quite a lot more expensive. We both really enjoyed the starter of "Bourbon marinaded salmon, pancakes with maple syrup, creme fraiche and rocket" I enjoyed the sirloin steak which was well cooked and tender, the chips great, while my wife enjoyed the lamb tagine and pearl cous cous. Two minor niggles, the salad with the steak was drowned in oil, could have done with less and the lamb tagine a little too mush spice, perhaps the Harissa spice could be supplied separately, allowing you to add as much as you wish. But all in all we definitely enjoyed our visit and are likely to visit again. A very busy and lively establishment.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Sheppey with my partner for a Sunday roast, being a veggi I find it hard to find somewhere that gives a tasty well thought out meal and the polenta dish was fantastic! Plus I asked for a Yorkshire pudding to quench my roast dinner thirst and they gave me one happily! The service was fantastic, a real attention to detail, asking if I wanted a drink when they could see my glass was empty. The barman was happy to make me any cocktail I asked for. My boyfriend had a local hop back ale which was so fresh and full off flavour. The setting is beautiful, and the place is bursting with local art and lots of retro toys! I fully recommend if your in need for a good meal and a night to feel treated, from drinks to friendly welcoming staff to a taste bud tickling meal!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wow.... Where to begin!! This place is incredible,the moment you step through the door you are hit by this incredible warm, welcoming pub, there are two real fires in the bar area, great music and a massive range of real ales, wines and beers! We were met by a young gentleman who was very polite and accommodating, he was very knowledgeable and was great at recommending local beers to us. We were Very hungry and a lovely waitress with a big smile offered us menus and took us to a lovely table overlooking the river, our food was so yummy, lots of different flavours and the presentation was fantastic, I had the chicken burger with brie and my partner had the lamb which he described as "the best meal he has ever had" we then went and sat In front of the fire and had a lovely coffee to finish Of our experience. The place was very busy and had a great atmosphere, all the staff were very friendly, smiley, attentive and unique! The sheppey is well worth a visit :) I will defiantly be returning with lots of friends. Neither Of us have had such a great dining experience :) and we will be returning very very soon.