“An excellent place to eat”
Review of The Sheppey

The Sheppey
Ranked #2 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great pub with gastropub credentials, charcoal cooker from spain, very assured cooking with a twist, real ales, craft beers, local ciders, belgium beers, cocktails, great decor , artwork and drinks, it can also seat 100 people next to the river. sawday winner, good food guide, camra, and tweeted by Britney Spears(true) x3 lovely rooms and two cottages to let
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My son has lived nearby for a few years and we have tried lots of places but never found anything special until we went here. Inside the decor is eclectic and relaxed with quirky bits all over the place. The staff are excellent and very helpful. We went for Sunday lunch to celebrate my daughter in law's birthday and couldn't got better food anywhere. The menu is great - not your usual pub fare and the sunday lunches were excellent with veg cooked to perfection.
It is hard to find and you do need to book especially on a Sunday. I can't wait to go here again.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I found myself in Somerset as the result of a surprise trip for my 30th Birthday! I am sooooo glad we consulted trip advisor when deciding where to dine on Tuesday evening! The descriptions of The Sheppey sounded right up our street and on locating this magical place on a dark lane behind a pretty ordinary front door our expectations were surpassed!!! There was a special feel about the place and with us being 'foreigners' the pleasant barman was happy to advise on the best cider! Our waitress (Romney....so sorry if thats incorrect - I'll blame the cider) was lovely, offered us a choice of seats and explained the bits of The menu that were too posh to understand, encouraging my partner to try the chilli lamb burger with triple cooked chips. He was so glad he took her advice as the burger was Devine - thick, juicy,immaculately presented and a complete treat for the tastebuds! I myself chose the lamb rump with seasonal vegetables and it was simply the best meal I can ever remember eating! The lamb was ridiculously tender, vegetables cooked to perfection in the most delicious rich sauce! The desserts were even more impressive with a dark choc and peanut brownie that just melted in the mouth and a cinnamon sponge cooked to perfection! The prices were more than reasonable for such a high standard of food and I'd still be beaming from ear to ear if it had cost double - it was THAT good!!! We are now back home in Middlesbrough and still talking about this meal!
All I can advise is that wherever you are right now just get in your car and drive to The Sheppey!!! And if they aren't open.....WAIT!!!!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Sheppy Inn Lower Godney is one of those little gems you stumble upon and feel reluctant to share the secret.
Wonderfully eclectic and eccentric yet stylishly understated in all the right places this is *the* pub to chill relax and unwind in.
Great food, super ales, but most importantly fabulously friendly and unpretentious staff....... And that to me is the key.
You can have all the stylish decor and great food and ales (which the Sheppy does) but its the staff that make your visit one that has you leaving with a smile.
I have eaten here many times (- always great tucker!) but last night I mooched in with a friend just for a drink. The staff were,as always, unfailingly jovial welcoming and chatty, particularly lovely Romy...... And the sad thing is staff like this probably dont realise just how special they are just by doing their job.
Sometimes 'just a drink' is made that little bit more lovely by staff like they have at the Sheppy.

1  Thank Claire P
Reviewed October 22, 2013

lovely location and good atmosphere. Food of very good standard and service friendly. We'll worth a visit.

1  Thank Berni M
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It is the best pub in Somerset. I love it! Food is amazing,people are welcoming and friendly.
If you are visiting Somerset you have to come here. If you are local you will never look for better pub! Thank you, Kat x

1  Thank KatDominowska