“A reason to travel 280 miles!”
Review of The Sheppey

The Sheppey
Ranked #2 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great pub with gastropub credentials, charcoal cooker from spain, very assured cooking with a twist, real ales, craft beers, local ciders, belgium beers, cocktails, great decor , artwork and drinks, it can also seat 100 people next to the river. sawday winner, good food guide, camra, and tweeted by Britney Spears(true) x3 lovely rooms and two cottages to let
“A reason to travel 280 miles!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I found myself in Somerset as the result of a surprise trip for my 30th Birthday! I am sooooo glad we consulted trip advisor when deciding where to dine on Tuesday evening! The descriptions of The Sheppey sounded right up our street and on locating this magical place on a dark lane behind a pretty ordinary front door our expectations were surpassed!!! There was a special feel about the place and with us being 'foreigners' the pleasant barman was happy to advise on the best cider! Our waitress (Romney....so sorry if thats incorrect - I'll blame the cider) was lovely, offered us a choice of seats and explained the bits of The menu that were too posh to understand, encouraging my partner to try the chilli lamb burger with triple cooked chips. He was so glad he took her advice as the burger was Devine - thick, juicy,immaculately presented and a complete treat for the tastebuds! I myself chose the lamb rump with seasonal vegetables and it was simply the best meal I can ever remember eating! The lamb was ridiculously tender, vegetables cooked to perfection in the most delicious rich sauce! The desserts were even more impressive with a dark choc and peanut brownie that just melted in the mouth and a cinnamon sponge cooked to perfection! The prices were more than reasonable for such a high standard of food and I'd still be beaming from ear to ear if it had cost double - it was THAT good!!! We are now back home in Middlesbrough and still talking about this meal!
All I can advise is that wherever you are right now just get in your car and drive to The Sheppey!!! And if they aren't open.....WAIT!!!!

Wedmore, United Kingdom
“Great staff are worth their weight in gold!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Sheppy Inn Lower Godney is one of those little gems you stumble upon and feel reluctant to share the secret.
Wonderfully eclectic and eccentric yet stylishly understated in all the right places this is *the* pub to chill relax and unwind in.
Great food, super ales, but most importantly fabulously friendly and unpretentious staff....... And that to me is the key.
You can have all the stylish decor and great food and ales (which the Sheppy does) but its the staff that make your visit one that has you leaving with a smile.
I have eaten here many times (- always great tucker!) but last night I mooched in with a friend just for a drink. The staff were,as always, unfailingly jovial welcoming and chatty, particularly lovely Romy...... And the sad thing is staff like this probably dont realise just how special they are just by doing their job.
Sometimes 'just a drink' is made that little bit more lovely by staff like they have at the Sheppy.

1 Thank Claire P
Well, United Kingdom
“Hard to find in the middle of Somerset levels, but we'll worth the effort.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

lovely location and good atmosphere. Food of very good standard and service friendly. We'll worth a visit.

1 Thank Berni M
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visiting Somerset you can't miss this place.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It is the best pub in Somerset. I love it! Food is amazing,people are welcoming and friendly.
If you are visiting Somerset you have to come here. If you are local you will never look for better pub! Thank you, Kat x

1 Thank KatDominowska
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our waitress looked untidy, hair everywhere. She tied it up later. My meal was duck and I know duck can be fatty and it was, but the five small pieces I got I couldn't cut with a knife, it was so tough and made it impossible to eat. We complained but were charged the full price £16.50, after a long time they agreed to charge my meal at half price. We are not people who normally complain and found it uncomfortable to do so. It was not made easier by the floor manager who completely ignored our situation. The Northern Soul evening, didn't start till 9.30 p.m.. We couldn't hear the music so we left. It ruined our anniversary .

4 Thank Shirley S
hare, Owner at The Sheppey, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Sorry you didn't like your meal! the duck is from a really fantastic reliable butcher, cooked in a sealed bag with herbs in a sous vide then seared in a charcoal oven so should be spot on perfect.
the waitresses hair! I'll make sure she gets it cut!
Not really we love it!
We obviously don't play music at the same level throught the pub with so many people eating.
The electric vinyl soul club a collection of soul DJs were playing and people were dancing all night, We book out the tables by the stage early so people can dance, watch bands etc later.
But the same music is played through the pub at background levels.