“Don't get the chicken + mayo chibata.”
Review of The King's Head

The King's Head
Ranked #66 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We're one of Wells' oldest and most central pubs, occupying an early-14th century building right in the middle of the High St. Whether you're looking for a light lunch, a hearty dinner, a quiet drink with friends, some of the best cask ales in the city or a lively weekend night out, we have it all!Give us a try on your visit to Wells, you won't be disappointed!Please note: TripAdvisor hasn't yet got a 'pub' category, so we're listed as a 'restaurant'. Whilst we serve fantastic, locally sourced and freshly prepared food, we are still a real, local pub at heart and our menu is therefore real pub grub done well, along with al of the other great things you'd expect from a fantastic local...
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Don't get the chicken + mayo chibata.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I can't speak for the rest of the food my group got I believe it was all satisfactory but nothing special, however the chicken and mayo chibata that I had was very bad.

By the time I had finished there were a good 7 or 8 TABLE spoons of mayo left over. It was a small chibata. Now I quite like mayo and I did leave a bit in the chibata but this was beyond excessive and it had butter as well.

The chicken was nice but quite a lot of fat on it. The chibata itself was slightly undercooked. Side salad was dead and prepared a few hours earlier.

It did also take at least 30mins to arrive which is ok but not great.

On the otherhand the staff were really nice and it looks like a nice pub, sadly I really cannot recommend it. Maybe try something else on the menu!

I know I probably should have said something but I really didn't have time to wait around.

1 Thank Nutterguy
Steve W, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Nutterguy, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your chicken ciabatta, it's normally one of the most popular sandwiches we serve. I'm unsure if we could even fit 8 tablespoons of mayo on a sandwich containing a full chicken breast but there was obviously too much for you so I apologise for that. But the 'fatty' chicken baffles me, as we only use fresh chicken breast from our local butcher, never any other cut?

It's a shame you didn't mention your displeasure to staff, as we would have been happy to sort it out for you. I hope you can pay us another visit if you're ever back in Wells.

Regards
Steve

Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Great Visit To The Kings Head.”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

On a trip to Wells We chose the Kings Head for some lunch. What can I say...great place! Friendly staff, great grub and good atmosphere. Myself and my husband had the Ploughmans. What a plate! And the kids meals were were equally good. We were all fit to burst!
The barman who took our order was very friendly and welcoming and we were able to help him out on a question about sheena easton and her bond theme!!!
All in all a really nice welcoming place and would go back the next time we were in Wells!!!

• Visited August 2012
Steve W, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Wow, thank you, 5 stars on every category! We're really glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you again on your next trip to the area :o)
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly staff, slow service”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We've eaten here twice now, and each time we've had similar experiences. The first time, a little over a year ago, we found the staff very friendly and accommodating and the food excellent. However, we had to wait 40 minutes for our meal and we were the only ones there!
So when we visited Wells earlier this week and decided to eat here, we were hoping that the service was a little faster. Granted, the pub was a little busier and there were lots more tourists around the town, but the service was still painfully slow. We ordered at the bar and the staff were very helpful, recommending beers to try and the best food to eat, but again we had to wait over forty minutes for four very simple meals. When they finally arrived, the food was excellent - and even the fussiest in our group cleaned their plates - but we did have to wait far far too long.

• Visited August 2012
Steve W, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Hi CJM88, thank you for the kind words.

I can't comment on last year's visit, as it was so long ago, other than to say it's very strange to have a delay if the pub was as empty as you say, but I'm truly sorry you had a 40 minute wait on this occasion. We usually get our meals out within 20 minutes, depending on what is ordered, but we can get longer delays during the busiest times.

We try our best to keep the times as short as possible, within the limits dictated by cooking from fresh, but the nature of Wells' tourism (with a lot of people on relatively short visits to the town) results in almost all Wells' establishments having a very short time-window at lunchtimes, during which we can go from empty to full in (sometimes, quite literally) minutes.

We have tried many ways to combat this but the only truly effective way in our relatively small pub with limited kitchen space is to pre-cook the main ingredients. A lot of operators choose this route but I believe it is a step too far; it considerably reduces waiting times but diminishes quality.

I really hope you'll give us another try on your next visit...
Ruislip, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was impressed by this place. The food was good, and the service was friendly. I enjoyed the main course, but the vegetables could have been cooked for another few minutes more as they were a little too under-cooked, I felt. I had soup to start, and that hit the spot after a cold day of being rained on.

• Visited June 2012
Steve W, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thanks for the nice review, and we'll make sure the veg is a little less 'al dente' for your next visit :o)
Morelos, Mexico
“Just What We Wanted”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

On a busy Saturday in Wells we wanted to have a quick pub "lunch" before getting the bus, and just after 2 o'clock , the King's Head just fit the bill. We wanted a pub close to the bus station and the other nearest one only had pre-packaged sandwiches ( actually buns/rolls) and the other close one was more like a restaurant.
We found a quiet table at the King's Head and had fresh cheese and pickle sandwiches with a bit of salad and some crisps at a fair price washed down by delicious draught cider.
The establishment (including toilets!) is very clean and the staff are helpful and pleasant. It was an easy walk to the bus station. 5 minutes?

• Visited March 2012
Steve W, Owner at The King's Head, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Hi there, we're so glad you chose us during your visit to Wells. We try our best to be the friendliest, best quality pub in town and when up against so many great restaurants in Wells, it makes us even happier when one of our customers takes the time to post nice comments about us. Thank you very much :o)