“Much improved”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I come here regularly - almost gave up on it, but recently have found it much improved - polite and enthusiastic service delivered in a timely fashion. Loads of really tender meat, and lovely roast potatoes on the Sunday roasts. Wonderful desserts. I will definitely be coming again!
Nice to have an outdoor area for children to run around, and some equipment for them to climb on. Lots of bright and cheerful high chairs, too.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The service although not rude, was the slowest I have ever experienced. Twice I went to the bar each time taking 10-15 minutes to get a drink ordered. It was quiet by the way, only one person was in front!

The tables were filthy and sticky (our one still had salt all over it from the previous customer)

My partner's glass was filthy.

The food was bland and although not badly cooked was completely effortless and soulless. I appreciate it's cheap but it was incredibly sloppy. My partners sauce which covered the ribs was splattered all up the side of the plate, so clearly the chef had no heart in the dish.

The wall paper where we were sat was coming away from the wall quite badly due to dampness. This gave the impression of the ace being dirty.

Don't bother going there, there is a macdonalds 10 minutes away...

There was one younger girl working there who was very polite and apologised for the wait, so it's not all doom and gloom. But I would never consider going back.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

For convenience, I used this Inn a few times in 2012, and I think I gave it a 2 Star rating. Well, the place has gone from bad to worse - indeed, I cannot imagine anywhere worse.
The food, which was of poor quality to start with, was overcooked and when delivered cold upon the plate defied all decent description. (If I told the truth and expressed myself truthfully I would be banned from this site for life). We left the meals and went and ate elsewhere.
The tables were, as last year, sticky beyond comprehension, which is clearly a health hazard that must be addressed sooner rather than later.
The Staff? All I would say is they would not be employ any of them under any circumstances - rude, lazy and worked at a pace which would have made a snail look fast.
This could be a good Inn, and it puzzles me why Marston's have allowed it to degenerate to its current disgraceful state.
As for 'atmosphere'? I have no suitable comment to make!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Unfortunately this is our local, we have visited numerous times over several years, and still we never know whether we are going to get a reasonble, value for money experience or a dire, 'wish we'd learn never to come back' one.
Although they do 2 for 1 offers, this doesn't always mean value for money.
Some days they are understaffed, you wait for ages and then wonder why you bothered with food bouncing between overcooked to undercooked, part hot and part only warm.
On other occasions you have good service and good food, well cooked and you feel you've had good value for money.
It's all too Hit or Miss.

1  Thank Ray S
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was a second visit to this pub, the first time i visited i found a Large boiled caterpillar in my tastless overcooked roast dinner, but i decided to give them a second chance.
After my family arrived we sat down at a sticky table and i went to the bar to order a Hobgoblin real ale but suprise suprise it wasnt available (a sign may have helped). We then ordered food, the prices were double the standard price you may expect from a country pub but they had a buy 2 meals for the price of one offer on at the time.
We ordered lasgnia, sausage and mash, ham and chips, and chicken enchialadas with spicy fries.
The pub only had a couple of unhappy looking victims in it at the time so we were suprised that the food had still not arrived after 45 mins. We called over the waitress to ask where our food was and she responded with a non appologetic grunt. 10 minuites later the food, or should i say slop arrived, when we queried the delay the waiter said he was sorry but he had droped the lasagnia on the floor !
Now for the food review...
The lasagnia was a tasteless cheesy slop in a bowl with the cheapest possible mince.
The chicken enchialadas were soggy and had two small bits of chicken in them and had clearly been microwaved to death.
The ham was very cheap quality, wet and tasteless the eggs were a new form of rubber. The Sausage and mash was what i can only describe as VILE! The sausages were tasteless runny paste in skin they appeared to have been microwaved but not browned in any way and were really cheap quality. The mashed potatoe tasted just like cheap instant mash, the peas were frozen and the gravy was instant granuals.
When we complained .. (Which is very rare for me or my family) the waiter said see me at the end of your meal, he didnt even want to know what the problem was, almost like he was used to it.
We managed to escape with a full refund for the food, and will never return... Avoid this place.