this is a strange one.....outside of hotel was rather run down and reception (when they did materialise) not very welcoming. My heart sank a little so I consoled myself "oh well, I am only here for a night". However, they did 'upgrade' me and I found the room perfectly adequate...bed OK, bathroom acceptable, toiletries nice......maybe a little noisy....I think there was a bar in the courtyard just below me.
Off I went to look around Wells and the hotel is, indeed, very central. The Cathedral and Green are lovely but the rest of the town.....!!! It looked like the location for one of those gritty black and white films made in the 60,s by, say, John Schlesinger and featuring an unwanted pregnancy somewhere 'oop North....not nice, very depressing.
Quite a nice dinner back at the hotel but both town and hotel are, I think, strictly for passing through.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crown is a 15th century coaching inn overlooking the Market Place in the heart of Wells. The Crown offers affordable accommodation, great food and friendly service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Crown at Wells reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crown At Wells And Anton`s Bistrot
- The Crown At Wells & Anton`s Bistrot Hotel Wells
- The Crown Hotel Wells
- The Crown At Wells Somerset