“Excellent food which compliments the amazing service!”

The Courtyard Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are locally family run restaurant with local frendly staff. We have been hear for 9 years, 8 years as café piano, but we have no longer have a piano so we just changed the name to The courtyard restaurant. We just want you to have a great time with afordable food
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went to this restaurant on a Saturday with my boyfriend and his family, and I had a lovely time! Even though it was a Saturday, the restaurant was not too packed at all and there was plenty of room for everyone around the table.

The food was fabulous; I had the Mediterranean prawns to start which were lovely, Sirloin steak for dinner which was cooked to my liking and the peppercorn sauce was divine, and one of the best chocolate fudge cakes I have ever eaten for dessert! I highly recommend all the meals mentioned, and the food around the rest of the table looked lovely too. They bring out potatoes and chips and vegetables to share around the table, which was very well presented and went well with the meal.

The atmosphere and service from the staff was amazing, there was someone playing the piano, but it was merely background sounds which was nice and non obtrusive. One thing I enjoyed was that they were replenishing our jug of tap water at regular intervals, which you don't get very often.

Overall, I would highly recommend it here!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited Cafe Piano for my first time on Saturday the 6th for a celebration with my parents and girlfriend, I wasn't sure what to expect and had some reservations about a venue with live music. What we found when arriving were friendly and well presented staff and a clean and nicely laid table. Throughout the evening the staff were excellent, keeping our water jug topped up and being attentive yet unobtrusive with very good timing with asking how our meal was and clearing our table. I had the Stilton tartlets, the guinea fowl with cranberry sauce and the marmalade bread and butter pudding, all of which I would heartily recommend. Around the table all of the food looked very nice and the portions were very generous. The vegetables were nicely presented, fresh and unmolested (no horrible sweetened cabbage mush here). One minor improvement would be to perhaps offer a bread basket, but otherwise a very slick operation. As for my reservations about the live music, it was at a very unintrusive level and the girl performing was actually rather good. We'll be back.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went to Wells for dinner and looked at a couple of places. It ws 6.30 on a Saturday and we had our 8 and 10 year old boys with us. We stumbled on Cafe Piano, but what luck!! The service was excellent and the food really good. Our boys enjoyed every last piece. The option of half portions at half price was great. The boys demolished it and then enjoyed a pudding too.

I would highly recommend Cafe Piano to anyone. We will be returning for a more romantic meal for two, despite living some 30 miles away.

The restaurant did fill while we were there so I would expect bookings to be necessary, but we were never put under any pressure. Thanks for a lovely meal.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We've just had the most lovely evening and especially delicious meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We've been to cafe piano a number of times & have never had any cause for complaint whether we've been in a large party or like tonight an intimate meal for two! The filet steak was cooked as close to perfection as I've ever had anywhere, thank you so much, we'll certainly be back soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Visited this place in April with my husband and son. Had phoned to book in advance about a month before. I was using Tastecard, no quibbling which is all too common, booking accepted no problem and we were expected when we arrived.
Lovely staff, very attentive but not overpowering. Family friendly, sensibly priced food with excellent variety. Vegetarian and fish options with fantastic home made puds.
The veg comes as sides with a large bowl of home cooked real chips as standard, best I have tasted in ages.
The only criticism was fact that wine not served with chiller or cooler. Remedied on request however.
I would recommend this place as the family obviously aim to please and it is so refreshing to visit somewhere which is not the usual chain with boring menus and disinterested staff.
The venue is down a quaint side street which I am sure is lovely in the summer, on this occasion the buildings were being renovated and scaffolding was in situ, but nevertheless Wells is a
beautiful city.