“Disappointed”

The Courtyard Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are locally family run restaurant with local frendly staff. We have been hear for 9 years, 8 years as café piano, but we have no longer have a piano so we just changed the name to The courtyard restaurant. We just want you to have a great time with afordable food
Reviewed October 2, 2011

After reading the previous reviews we though we would give this place a try. We were greeted and shown to our table on arrival and given menus. The tables are tightly packed and felt we were far too close to the tables next to us (we could have all held hands with ease). We were sat for what seemed a long time before the waitress came to take our order. There is no draught beer so my husband ordered a bottle which turned out to be rather warm.
The dining room that evening was very warm and we asked if we could be moved to a table outside which we did.
For starter we chose to share a smoked salmon and prawn platter whch was lovely but a little on the small side. As we were sharing it would have been nice if we were given 2 bread rolls as these too were rather small.
For main course my husband had sirloin steak with pepper sauce and I had duck breast in orange sauce. The meals came with chips new potoatoes and a selection of veg. My husbands steak was ok but the sauce was bland and I had to borrow his steak knife in order to cut the duck which was not very tender and was richer than I have ever tasted before so I was only able to eat just over 1/2 of it. The chips (made from frozen) tasted as though they had been cooked several times before they were served in overused oil. Some of the vegetables were only blanched and were difficult and unpleasant to eat.
Having been so disappointed we decided against dessert and had some at home instead.
We maintain that whenever we go out for a meal it should be better than the food we cook at home. Cafe Piano did not meet our expectations so therefor we will not be returning.

3  Thank fraserbrook

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Staying at Wookey Hole for the night we went into Wells to find an evening meal. We fell over this cafe and were found a table despite them being fully booked. The menu is varied and exceptionally well cooked. My daughter ordered her steak medium rare and that is how it was cooked. I had the guinea fowl which was soft and suculent and served with a cranberry sauce which was unlike any other cranberry sauce I have tasted - it was divine. They have a special price for the time and day we went which meant we had 2 courses for £12.95 - bargain.

One of thier regulars was celebrating his birthday and he was made to feel special with the singing waiter (nice voice) singing for him. All round a really good experience.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Went here as a result of other reviews and had a fabulous night out for my wifes birthday. Friendly service, fantastic food and great value. The staff were brilliant and we got an impromtu caberet from a singing waiter and a local girl. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

What a great find! We were recommended to this cafe by our landlady at the B & B. We went on Thursday evening when they do an early evening special (Friday as well) of two courses for £12.95. What brilliant value for money. We both chose a starter of freshly grilled prawns - and there were plenty of them - followed by slow roasted lamb shank in redcurrant gravy which was served with a lovely selection of vegetables, all beautifully cooked. The service was provided by two lovely, very enthusiastic and helpful young people and we had a pleasant chat with the chef afterwards. Wine was reasonably priced. Background music was also to our taste. Lots of easy listening 50s and 60s. Highly recommended. We will make sure we go again next time we are in Wells or surrounding area. Apparently they have live music on Saturday nights.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband & I visied Bath last week & spent a day with friends touring parts of Somerset. We had pre-booked The Piano Cafe in Wells but had forgotton the directions so we had difficulty finding the 'Cafe' as we had not expected it to be in a courtyard off the road but once there we had a very warm welcome & enjoyed the atmosphere. As we were the first to arrive (7pm) for the evening the waiter turned the music down to a comfortable level so that our group of four could here ourselves talk. The menu was varied & catered for one of my friends who is a vegetarian (she had a Nut Roast) The food was superb & cooked perfectly!! We were all very impressed. The 'restaurant' quickly filled up, but the waiter & waitress didn't scimp on personal attention to all. As we live 250 miles away unfortunately we will not be able to go back in a hurry, but our friends who live in Bath said that 'now they had found such a gem' they will definately be going back.