“Best customer service experience”

Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Wells
London, United Kingdom
“Best customer service experience”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The customer service by all staff, whether in the bistro, restaurant and particularly the reception staff this would be top of my list. Never over the top - they just cared and seemed like they liked their jobs. How rare is this?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolAnn95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Manchester, England
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Stayed here for 1st wedding anniversary and had a lovely room with a great view of the cathedral. Would have been disappointed if I had got a room without this view and don't know if my review would have been the same?
Decor and furnishings were fine but perhaps a little tired and dated. Small bathroom.
Food (we had breakfast and dinner here) was good, well presented etc.
Car park was quite small and full (due to wedding on site) but we were lucky to get a space - bit of a hassle to get in and out though with lots of people fighting for spaces.
The reason we stayed here was the location as it's perfectly located for exploring Wells. In my opinion, slightly overpriced for what it is though but I guess you're paying for the location as much as the hotel itself.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2010

A lovely old building with lots of character. Good food and drink coupled with polite and friendly staff. Right in the centre of the extreemly small city. Plenty of banks, shops, restaurants and pubs all within walking distance. Which is a good thing as you may lose your parking space if the hotel have got a wedding function on!
My only complaint in fact would be the noise of the wedding discos for 2 nights out of a three night stay. I feel the lack of communication between Best Western and The Swan Hotel led to me booking a noisy room which I may not have done, if I'd have known about the disco! It would be fair I think, to inform people beforehand.
However, I would recomend this hotel, its food,staff etc.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stee58
Manchester
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have stayed in the Swan twice whilst on residential training. Both times I had lovely old rooms, with charming wooden (but wonky) floors and a view of the cathedral.

I was so charmed by the hotel (despite being imprisoned by work) that I decided to visit with my partner. We booked a package on a Best Western deal and were given a room with no view other than the back of the kitchens.

The room was grubby and noisy so I complained to reception and asked to be moved I was astonished to be told "what do you expect on a cheap package". I was offered another room for a higher price despite the fact that the hotel was by no means full.

The all inclusive menu was far inferior to what was available and staff were totally disinterested.

It's a real shame that they let themselves down by not being bothered about a customer that they thought was just on a bargain deal. I had joked with my husband that it was nothing like *Hot Fuzz" ... I was wrong. I can only console myself with the fact that we are no longer using them for corporate bookings so obviously I am not alone!

T

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Steeple Ashton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed at The Swan for a family wedding held locally and booked 4 rooms. All the rooms were very well (recently) decorated and each one was very different.

The old coaching inn history was evident when we arrived and drove through to the rear of the building to park the car - such an interesting insight. Wells is a delightful little city and we enjoyed walking around, seeing the cathedral and also the market (Saturday).

Breakfast each morning in a nicely decorated room with lovely, high back, velour chairs - I would like to have taken a few of these home with me! Service in the breakfast room was OK but it would be nice if they seemed happier in their work: only one gentleman seemed genuinely pleased to be carrying out his job and the old problem of rather surly service was a shame as it lets this fabulous place down. Some staff training in the art of discreet hosting, with a smile, would be a good idea - I have worked in this industry and a little "role play" might be useful to show staff the subtle difference between good and lacklustre attitudes when serving the very people who are actually paying their wages.

We had everything we needed, good ambiance, lovely smell of woodsmoke in the sitting area and my husband and I are looking forward to returning in the not too distant future. Also very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank oscarposh
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Great hotel, friendly staff, good food. Nicely decorated room and lovely outside patio/bar area overlooking cathedral. Convenient for shops, Glastonbury, Street etc.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DisneyDi62
Iwakuni, Japan
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Friendly professional staff, comfortable rooms at a competitive rate, an amazing full English in the morning, a two minute walk to the Cathedral or the High Street shops.... The Swan is an excellent choice for any traveler. If you are looking for a "cheap room" stay on the motorway. Staying at the Swan is an experience, not just a place to rest after a long day on the road. My only wish is that the rooms had updated locking mechanisms, though there is something quaint about a "Fawlty Toweresque" key bob the size of an Italian sausage. I have stayed at the Swan twice and will surely stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JakeinJapan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
Wookey Hole Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!