Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
  • Breakfast included
$105
$111
$108
Premier Inn Wells (Somerset)(Wells)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
1,038 results
All reviewscoach housecathedral suitecar parkresident catwells cathedralthe main hotelold coaching innno liftlovely hotelfour posterlounge arealambwedding receptionwalled gardenhigh streetbeautiful roomsmall city
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Swan a few times over the last couple of years, but never before left a review. The hotel is lovely - the refurbished rooms are tasteful and the remaining rooms are still very comfortable. I have been luck enough to stay in the Cathedral Suite twice, which is beautiful with an amazing view of the cathedral - simply stunning. The staff have always been helpful and polite, while not being "in your face", especially Mark, who I think might be the manager - always very happy and smiley and willing to help. The food has always been good - breakfast, lunch and dinner. People below say it can be overpriced, but I haven't really ever thought so - you are in very comfortable surroundings right in the centre of Wells... The only slightly negative thing I can think of is that sometimes it can be a bit noisy - not enough to disturb my sleep though. I guess the hotel is situated right in the centre and has kept its original features, therefore street noise will be heard and the occasional door banging - although that's probably what you expect from a period building. And let's face it - street noise at the weekend in Wells is not really comparable to what you might get in Bristol or London! All in all I love the hotel and always stay there when I am down in this part of the country - keep up the good work!

Room Tip: The front rooms will have views of the cathedral
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ASingleMan
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Ill set the scene, it's my boyfriends birthday and a special anniversary so I wanted to take him away for a romantic, peaceful weekend and what did I get: absolute disappointment, no sleep, stress and upset.
I booked a super deluxe rooms, after viewing those on the website I thought I was in for a beautiful decorated bedroom with a speculation view. What did I get a spilt floor apartment - don't get me wrong the bottom floor was lovely, kitted out with a new kitchen and a sofa and tv but we were not going to use any if this as we'd booked for dinner and breakfast, we then went upstairs to find a bed and a desk, white walls- nothing short of a premium inn. This was not the romantic setting I had planned- and where was the view I had a view of another wall and a small courtyard with a metal table and two chairs? No cathedral in site. So we pleasantly went and asked the staff if this was the right room and that we were looking for something luxury and romantic - she said I have the perfect room- my eyes glistend and I smiled willingly at my boyfriend - we got the kea and went upstairs to find shear hottie- the room was unclean, it was old and worn, not antique not beautiful. We are 27 and 25 we did not want old taster sty from the 1500s not a creepy bust in our room. Not flat pillows, a squeaky bed and chairs with imprints in that have been there for years. We supposedly had a view of the cathedrals but unfortunately we couldn't see anything behind all of the hideous netting and scaffolding so even it's best selling point was a disappointment. I burst I to tears believing my months of secret planning had equated to this! I sobbed and went back down stairs and asked to go back to our original room. Then abruptly and in a rude manner another lady at reception decided to interfere and give me a disgusted look and said "what do you want now!". Then we were transport to another room - a simple double room - less than half of what we originally paid. At this point I gave up, and just needed to get out. So we went for lunch - do not have lunch here. I had a ploughman a- which didn't have any cheese nor pickle on. My boyfriend had a beef sandwich which was a two pieces of bread with tough left over fatty/chewy meat in - total lunch equated to 20£ for those two pathetic, unenjoyable meals.
We went back to the room to green up ready for our evening meal to find several items in the bathroom were broken, lights, toilet seat, etc.
the evening meal was better than anticipated after such a travesty but the atmosphere was dull and lifeless. The waiter was very pleasant though, and made what seemed and effort I'm comparison to anyone else.
Our night sleep was rudely destroyed by two gentleman swear repeatedly and slamming doors at one another at 2am until 5am. - peaceful and restful I think not.
Breakfast was ok - they took our orders and something completely different came, the buffet was minimal and half gone and we were at the beginning of breakfast timings.
Following a follow up email asking how my stay was I reported back - expecting to get an apology of some sort but nothing. I have also contacted the owner of the hotel on several occasions to be ignored. So I think that sums up my experience - the owner doesn't care what his customers think it about their experience. Just takes a lot of money. Extortionate price - crap service, hotel and food. Never again

• Stayed: June 2014
12  Thank Sonja A
Swanhotelwells, General Manager at Best Western Plus Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

I refer to your recent review on Trip Adviser and your subsequent e-mails.

We encourage our guests to let us have their feedback and endeavour to implement any changes that we can consider will enhance our guests’ experience.

We have considered your review and complaint carefully and discussed with the relevant members of staff who worked during your stay. We shall address each of your complaints separately, as follows:

1. The hotel has 49 bedrooms. Bedrooms vary in décor and not all have views of Wells Cathedral. The apartment that you refer to is our Courtyard Suite. This room is decorated in a modern, contemporary way and overlooks part of our Walled Garden Café, (which has 10 tables and numerous seating.) The Courtyard Suite also has its own private garden area (with a table and chairs.) It is a shame that you found the style of the décor in this room so upsetting. For those wishing to view this room please visit http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/accommodation-in-wells/courtyard-suiteplaces-to-stay-in-somerset/ (images 1, 5 & 6) http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/accommodation-in-wells/ (image 2)

2. The second bedroom that you were offered (room 42) is in complete contrast to The Courtyard Suite. Room 42 contains a four poster bed and is, therefore, decorated in a far more traditional style. This room faces the West Front of Wells Cathedral, a truly spectacular sight. At the time of your stay minor works were being completed at the front of the hotel, but the scaffolding and netting did not obscure the view from this room.

3. The third room that you were shown (and stayed in) was room 48. This room is a ‘Superior’ room and currently features on our website four times. For those wishing to view this room please visit http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/accommodation-in-wells/ (image 6) http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/accommodation-in-wells/romantic-hotel-breaks/ (image 7) http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/what-to-do-in-wells/hotel-special-offers/ (image 5) http://www.swanhotelwells.co.uk/conference-venue-somerset/ (image 5)

4. If any items in this room had been broken then you should have notified our reception team or the night porter.

5. We are sorry that you were disappointed by lunch. We have just had an inspection from Visit England and the inspectors praised the quality and substance of our Ploughman’s lunch.

6. At the time of your stay the hotel was nearly at full occupancy. No-one reported a disturbance of any nature and that includes all the rooms in the vicinity of room 48 (including those next door.)

7. The owner, myself as General Manager and my whole team care what our customers think of the hotel. Your initial complaint to the Best Western portal was responded to within 24 hours as was your subsequent email directly to me.

We have concluded that much of what you say in your review, and in your complaint, is simply untrue and made with the sole intention of causing harm to the good reputation of the hotel in, what is, a disingenuous attempt to obtain a refund for your stay. For the avoidance of doubt, we have no wish or intention of making a refund in the circumstances.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a fine hotel with very helpful staff. I was there on business so I can't comment on value for money because I actually don't know how much it cost! Beds very comfortable and of course, one could hear a pin drop in Wells at night so no problem with noise. Very clean and facing the magnificent cathedral. Lovely rooms with nice breakfast. For the latter I recommend the haddock! Porter also very accommodating in supplying drinks after hours.

Room Tip: I was in room 34. Fine for me but I suppose the best are those facing the cathedral.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We got caught up in the French air traffic control strike and our flight out of Bristol was cancelled. Easyjet put us up in The Swan the staff did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable as possible. We had beer and sandwiches outside overlooking the Cathedral and then had a short sleep in a beautiful room. Taxi at 4am spoiled the effect but we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We just ate lunch at the swan and although it's a lovely hotel with a lovely location it's very overpriced for lunch time food. Chips were just frozen and a very small portion for 3.25. And the ploughmans left a lot to be desired. The beef for the sandwiches is served cold too which was a shame. Can't fault the look of the place and I'm sure the rooms etc are lovely but we certainly won't be eating lunch here again.... Off now to get ice cream!

• Stayed: June 2014