“o dear”

The City Arms
Ranked #41 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Bar, British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: We have recently opened after a refurbishment programme. Bar and restaurant are complete. Outside patio area requires planning permission before works can take place - should be ready for the early summer (Target = 1st April). Stocks and shackles in the old City Jail are being repaired and will be used for any customers who over-indulge on our fine ales!. Much done and much more to do to restore the City Arms to its former glory. as one of England's finest pubs.
Birmingham
“o dear”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

another pub that has gone down the route of that trendy decor inside ie.ikea meets b&m stores way too modern and boreing for what shuld be a old pub with character real ale choice very poor we had the cider which was ok ,service was ok could be more friendley.

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you John for your review. There were some positives and negatives in your review. As the New Manager I am always looking at improving The City Arms in any way we can. The decor you refer to, which I inherited has had mixed views which is something we are addressing. We have a good team behind us now and the recent reviews have shown we are improving, we hope next time you visit you will see these improvements as well.

Somerset, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday Evening relaxation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited on Sunday 20th July with our Labrador. Lovely food, excellent real ales and ciders. Made to feel welcome and relaxed.

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you Nocwodi for your review. We always appreciate feedback, it is very rewarding to all our staff when have ticked all the boxes. We do pride ourselves, not only sourcing some of the best produce, drinks, as well as offering you an enjoyable experience here at the City Arms. That takes hard work from the Chefs and throughout our whole team. Hope to see you again soon.
“A pub with no beer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I visited this pub on 21st July at about 7.30pm. I had made a special trip since it advertised itself as a CAMRA pub with 7 local ales. Only one was available - 4.8% and heavy, not what I was looking for for a pre dinner drink on a hot day. I left. Sorry to have wasted my time in visiting this pub with no beer.

Visited July 2014
Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you Mark for your review. I am disappointed your visit was not the best. We did have an extremely busy weekend, with the weather and our ales are very popular. As you are probably aware changing ales is not as simple as other barrells, it does take time. That said, this situation needs addressing and when you next visit us you will see these improvements.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent evening meal in The City Arms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have visited The City Arms before and always found it pleasant but I couldn't believe the improvement when I went with three friends on Saturday evening for a meal. The food was excellent and you could tell that they pride themselves in sourcing good quality ingredients. The service was very friendly and I will certainly be going back!!!

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you Rachel for your review. I am always pleased when we get returning customers. But more so when they tell us that the improvements we are trying so hard to make are far exceeding our own expectations.
We do pride ourselves, not only sourcing some of the best produce, but also getting the very best from that produce. That takes hard work from the Chefs and throughout our whole team.
Thank you again and I gather we will see you soon.
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Sunday Evening Drink in the Bar of The City Arms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

While staying at my daughters last weekend,we went for a drink at the City Arms.
Which we have done many times in the past & always enjoyed.
We ordered a pint of Carlesberg & half Grolsh. My partners Carlesberg did not taste right, so asked if he could change it. The lady in charge presume manager told us that the barrel was in date, then proceed to pour herself some off & taste it, then go to the cellar.
Then came back & said that the date on the barrel was the 18th July, she had tasted it & thought it was fine as far as she was concerned, & offered my partner some lemonade with it which my partner declined.
I feel this was really bad customer service, I have never been anywhere before where this has happened. We will not be returning which is a shame as we have had some good times there in the past.

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
I am sorry your experience of the The City Arms was not as welcoming as you'd hoped.
The City Arms is under New Management and we are trying to improve customer service. If you review other Trip Advisor reports you will see that the pub has started to become well regarded for its friendly and efficient service.

Sometimes we don't get it right, so I will review this with all staff, to see what we can do differently, and we hope we'll see you again soon.