“Only average”

The City Arms
Ranked #42 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We have recently opened after a refurbishment programme. Bar and restaurant are complete. Outside patio area requires planning permission before works can take place - should be ready for the early summer (Target = 1st April). Stocks and shackles in the old City Jail are being repaired and will be used for any customers who over-indulge on our fine ales!. Much done and much more to do to restore the City Arms to its former glory. as one of England's finest pubs.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had a lunch here which was acceptable, but the general standard of service can only be described as average. It felt like we were in a factory cafeteria. The food was quite good so there is potential for some big steps forward.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Popped in for a drink and there was a terrible smell of sewage, i know the building is old but it's not nice to smell, i am glad we only had one drink and not a meal especially when i entered the lady's toilets, they were dirty, they needed a good clean, the toilet its self was horrible to use i could not wait to get out of there and wash my hands elsewhere. Really they should check the toilets every hour or so to make sure they are CLEAN and smell PLEASANT.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Honestly, this is the worst pub I've ever been in.
The staff were soo rude, miserable, unfriendly, unhelpful.
Started with an undrinkable cider, in the home of cidermaking!
The place wasn't busy (now I know why) but we waited nearly an hour for the food. When it did arrive it was awful. Very greasy, no flavour, an obviously made from the cheapest food available.
4 of us ate, and with one drink each the bill came to £63!! I felt like I'd been mugged!
I can't imagine anyone would go there a second time, but they make there money by fleecing tourists.

Wells is beautiful, but this place spoiled our day out.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This place has a great menu, but it is slightly over priced. The portions are a good size and the food is fantastic. There is table service for larger gatherings but all drinks have to be bought at the bar. There doesnt seem to be much atmosphere in there but everyone in there is friendly

Reviewed September 26, 2013

The only pub or restaurant where the landlady / barmaid told me and my family to P*** OFF. We complained about the wait and the complete absence of service but that's no reason for such treatment. Fortunately no food had been eaten so it cost nothing to take her advice.

We headed to another pub, and I outlined events to the landlord without naming names. "Oh, he said, "that'll be the City Arms then?"

6  Thank adfbristol