“Fantastic.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 40 Wells B&B and Inns
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
“Fantastic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Liz many thanks for your humour, wit and laundry facilities. Hope you got the card fron John O'Groats. So good I will be bringing the missus down later in the year! Good shower, comfy bed and close to town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Postcard from John O'Groats received today - brilliant - thank you very much - it's on the mantlepiece! Thanks also for your kind review - would look forward to a return visit (with the wife) but may not offer the laundry service!
My very best wishes.
Liz Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Another lovely stay at Liz's. Comfort, cleanliness, great breakfast (and a good chat/giggle with Liz about life in general). Good location too as a short walk into Wells and Bath is approx 40 mins by car. Don't bother looking elsewhere folks - this is what B&B should be!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
My thanks again for your kind words and delighted you had yet another good stay at No 23. It's interesting that repeat visiting guests become friends that you catch up with from time to time! It was good to see you and the girls again - my very best wishes to you all.

Ruislip, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had originally booked another B&B in Wells at the end of March, but they messed up the booking, didn't even apologise, and I only discovered when I contacted them to ask when I could check in and park the car in the morning and walk into town... so...not a good start to my short break away. But No 23 made it better. :) I was able to book at short notice.

I stayed in Wells to see "Swans of Wells" artwork sculptures and to attend a friend's wedding in Bristol. (I'll be adding swan photos to my blog at http://www.jenikya.com/blog.) Nice host, good breakfast, nice comfortable beds. I got a good night of sleep - really relaxing and quiet. (We were toward the back of the house.)

Only a slight problem was we were asked to check in after 4pm (it would have been nice to check in earlier as that day was a downpour and we'd been in town since before 10am walking around), and we had to give our room up at 10:30am so it was ready for guests to arrive at 2pm the next day. A bit of a problem as I wanted to finish getting ready for the 2:00 wedding, and we got a bit wet walking around and my hair was a bit of a mess. So, it really would have been nice to stay a bit longer to have access until midday so we could freshen up and then attend the wedding instead of walking around town in wedding clothes. But, my friends were happy to see me so I don't think they were too offended by a not-so-perfect hair or makeup. (Hopefully!)

Breakfast - we could pick from options, and we were asked a couple of times throughout if we had enough toast, etc. Fruit salad before the cooked meal was nice.

Good location as well: a short walk into town.

Room Tip: We got to choose the room... a larger room at the front, or a smaller room at the back. Both looked...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Hi there - thank you for your kind review - another active reviewer with over 20 reviews this year - how busy are you!

I'm so glad you were comfortable at No 23 and were able to see the simply wonderful 'Swans of Wells', they are just brill, brill, brill!

Thank you also for your comments on arrival and departure times. Prior to running a B&B I too had no idea how vital they are - so this is great - I get a platform on which to explain. You mentioned that you were in Wells before 10am and would have liked to check in earlier than 4pm......but it was a shame you didn't ask when you booked because you really could have done on that particular day - it was quite possible. However, if guests leave late and the night before has been busy (which happens very regularly in Wells), I cannot guarantee rooms will be ready before 4pm (+ the dog walked and fresh supplies brought in too).

Likewise, if requested, perhaps at the time of booking, a late departure is quite possible and although I did offer for you to remain untill 11am, I was so sorry you left earlier without saying 'goodbye' - that was a first in four years! The one thing we all find difficult, is to be able to do these things on the spur of the moment and for it to be dependent on the weather at the time - my apologies.

Interestingly, although the next guests had requested an early check in at 2pm, they didn't arrive until 6.30pm and hadn't thought to contact me and let me know, ergo, a four and a half hour period where I was 'grounded' - no doggie walkies, no getting the shopping in etc., - very tedious indeed but one must still be polite...

So special thanks to you for giving me this opportunity to bring this to the attention of other potential guest; mine or others. It might be a good idea here to mention that most hotels do have far more flexible check in/out times which may be more convenient but you would have to pay their going rate - usually a tad more than the humble B&B.

I am sure, even though a little damp, looked just perfect for the wedding you were attending.

With regards.
Belper, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not sure how to review this...
Liz is a great host,the breakfast was very good,the shower was superb.The location was just about right.
But we had room 3(not featured on the web-site),we thought small and because the only way to configure the bed was with the headboard against the window,the view was the internal walls which were bare and needed some prints or paintings to liven the room up.The LCD TV was positioned on the fireplace ledge,which meant due to the viewing angle I ended up watching the England versus Belgium game with the TV balance on top of my laptop on the end of the bed.Not exactly an hardship,but a bit awkward.
The room however is on the back and quiet.
I would recommend room 2 or 4(they are featured on the web-site) and are larger with easy chairs.
I have to say,Wells is an amazing little gem of a City,The Cathedral,the Bishops Place and Gardens are excellent value,beautiful.The rest of the City is pretty with good bars,restaurants and a great Saturday market.We preferred it to Bath!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 2 and 4
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
And I'm not sure how to reply, but I thank you for your review - that's the first thing! I do agree the room you had is not particularly large and I try not to use it for couples very often; in viewing the website I had hoped it would be fairly obvious from the picture of the outside of the house that room sizes would not be huge, No 23 is after all, just a Victorian, end of terrace.

I also agree it is just jolly difficult in that room to get the obligatory TV at a good viewing angle but I do feel honoured that you came so far to watch the footie at your B&B!

In looking at some of your other accommodation reviews it appears that you may be more suited to paying vast amounts more to achieve the standard you feel happy with and whilst I am immensely impressed at the number of reviews you have posted I feel it may be another case of 'oh, that we could please all the people, all the time'.

But the thing I am just grovelling with apology for, is that I did not make you feel sufficiently confident to be able to speak to me at the time with your concerns.

With best wishes.
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

No. 23 has all the most important features,really good breakfasts,is spotlessly clean,a spacious power shower and such a comfy bed to fall into after a long day;s hiking.Liz the owner is always close to hand to answer any questions and has an adorable dog Michael who is confined to his own quarters but who is allowed to say hello !

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room facing the main road.Although Liz warned us that we may hear some light tra...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrBestest
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
And a 'Bestest' review it was too! My sincere thanks for your kind words - again I am so pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our beautiful area and can imagine you taking some wonderful photos too. I logged on to the web-site you suggested and agree with you about the excellent quality of work.

Thank you for staying at No 23, it was indeed a pleasure to have you!
Warmest regards.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Thank you for a lovely stay! A very warm welcome to this surprisingly good B&B. The house is spotlessly clean and the bedroom was modern and very comfortable with a lovely view of the countryside. Bathroom was spacious and well maintained with an excellent shower. Liz makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive, and is happy to help with any local information that you may require. The breakfast was 5 star, freshly cooked and delicious. I would recommend this B&B to anyone

Room Tip: Pick this one - you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
I am positively thrilled you enjoyed your stay and I thank you very much for your kind review. I learn something from most of my guests and you were no different in that respect - life's for learning!

Please accept my very best wishes.
Bristol, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

As soon as you arrive at No. 23, Liz gives you a very warm welcome then shows you to a spotless clean warm room, shower was excellent. The breakfast which I was looking forward to, as recommended by a friend who had previously stayed, it lived up to my expectations, great choice. Highly recommended and will be returning. Thanks for posting my left behind phone charger.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LizEvans, Owner at No. 23 Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
It was lovely to see you and have you here at No 23 - I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in Wells. I hope you have recovered from the move! Many thanks for your review - it was very much appreciated.

My best wishes